Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is Wireless-n Worth It?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 darkside701

darkside701

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 PM

Posted 30 September 2007 - 08:53 PM

I have no experience with networking aside from the fact that I just started working at compusa part time. So first things first Wireless-N costs more then G and projects farther. Is it that big of a difference that you should pay around $40 bucks more? On top of that Linksys seems to pwn at the Wireless-G routers are they one of the top Wireless-N brands as well?

Edit- I also was curious as to if or what the difference between wifi and wireless-G, N was? and would a wireless g card for my laptop pickup wifi?

Edited by darkside701, 30 September 2007 - 09:00 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RandomUser

RandomUser

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2007 - 06:06 PM

DUDE, did you not here that COMPUSA let go of half their company. Not that I would know about it mind you ;-)

BTW Wireless is a generic term for most wireless products. Wi-Fi typically refers to Wireless-Fidelity Network standards set for by the
WI-FI Alliance. Thus a wi-fi card with g or n capabilities should work on either or.... Two places that I learned about the technology was,

howstuffworks.com and smallnetbuilder.com via the link from tomshardware.com

You'll also want to check wikipedia's article, but be worned that not all knowledge their is accurate as wikipedia is a user input based
ecyclopedia for the net. Ergo , anyone may post there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wi-Fi

As far as Wireless N, it's currently worth it for Gamers and small Business users until municipal wi-fi picks up some movement.
You'll want to make sure that your wireless N sales to customers are based on the latest DRAFT N. Draft, because the standard itself
has not been widely adopted due to patent infringement with the technology. The latest Draft N is nearly the real thing however.
Currently D-Link, Linksys, and Netgear provide the best 802.11n technology in performance. Linksys and Netgear I would argue provide the best security implementations. Buffalo Technology also Offers a router near the top of performance. See the smallnetbuilder.com site.

Any other questions?

#3 darkside701

darkside701
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2007 - 09:20 PM

Thats it, for now at least. Thanks a ton :thumbsup:

#4 RandomUser

RandomUser