Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Upgrade Advise

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 darkside701

darkside701

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 PM

Posted 30 September 2007 - 08:36 PM

Hey I was thinking about upgrading my comp and I had a few questions. First is my case as of now has cooling issues and I feel a new case could solve that. Second I need a new graphics card hopefully an 8800, perhaps someone can fill me in on how the direct x's work I know the 8800 is the only direct x 10 but what exactly does that mean? Lastly I am not sure if anything else needs to be replaced so perhaps you guys can help me out with a little advice.

(Sorry about the links I saved them from when I put together this comp and the case was the only one that still worked.)

Current:
Case - APEVIA X-Plorer ATXB8KLW-BK Black Steel ATX
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16811144102

Mobo - Asus K8N4-E Deluxe

Processor - AMD Athlon 64 3400+ Processor Socket 754, 1MB Cache

Power - Thermaltake W0019 Purepower Butterfly 480W

Memory - Kingston HyperX KHX3500AK2/1G 1GB Kit DDR434 PC3500 Memory w/Heat Spreader

Video - EVGA GF 6800GT 256MB

HD - Seagate 160GB SATA

New:

Antec Nine Hundred ATX - http://www.compusa.com/products/product_in...uct_code=342484

I am unsure on whether I should get the 8800 overclocked, or how much video memory it should have, any tips on that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a ton

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FireKracker

FireKracker

• Members
  • 484 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 PM

Posted 01 October 2007 - 08:01 AM

Hey mate, I would assume that your thinking about playing games especially with upgrading to a geforce 8800? I'd consider upgrading your RAM, it appears that you mobo will take up to 3GB if so I'd go that route.

Hope you don't mind, how much are you thinking of spending?
If all else fails, hit the reset button.
Posted Image

#3 darkside701

darkside701
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 PM

Posted 01 October 2007 - 02:22 PM

Yea I was thinking of going the RAM route as well, and where can I find out more info on my mobo I searched it but I couldnt find anything about it. I get a discount at compusa so the case will cost around $95, I haven't totally decided on graphics cards yet but I was thinking of spending from $250-350, and I will probably pick up a 1GB stick of ram.

#4 FireKracker

FireKracker

• Members
  • 484 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 PM

Posted 01 October 2007 - 03:30 PM

A simple google and I have found:

1) Asus's website + details of your mobo
2) Google's results regarding the make / model of your mobo
If all else fails, hit the reset button.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users