Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Non System Disk Or Disk Error

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 hp1184

hp1184

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:00 AM

Posted 30 September 2007 - 05:02 PM

I have an hp pavilion zt3000 and my hard drive crashed. I took it to a computer center that ran a diagnostics test (?) on my computer and told me that the hard drive was the only problem and simply replacing it should fix it. I bought the exact same hard drive to insure that it would be compatible with my computer. It is a Toshiba 40 GB HDD 2170 MK4018GAS. I put it in my computer exactly as the broken one was put in, but I get an error message that says "Non-System disk or disk error, replace and strike any key when ready." The drive is spinning but I don't know if there is anything else I need to do to get my computer to start up. If you have any advice as to what I'm doing wrong (keeping in mind that I don't know much about computers) I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2007 - 05:35 PM

Did the computer store put the new hard drive in for you? Did you tell them to reload the OS?
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,540 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:00 AM

Posted 30 September 2007 - 08:56 PM

Hard drives, right out of the box, are not partitioned nor formatted and therefore you get that message.
That is basically because they are not ready to store data yet. All hard drives must be partitioned and formated first.

Do you have the HP recovery cd's? May have come with the computer.
If so, boot to the 1st one and restore the OS to an "out of the box" state.

That is the key question here though.
Do you have the HP recovery cds?

The real problem with HP's and Compaq's (one and the same) is that the restoration information is stored on another partition on your hard drive. All good and fine. Until your hard drive fails, which it will, and yours did.

Think of it like a pie. You have one pie. Take that pie and just slice about 1/5th or so of it. Doesnt matter the fraction. You still have one pie, but with a slice in it. Now take that pie and drop it on the street, face up.
That is exactly what is wrong with recovery partition scenario.
If you lose the pie (the hard drive) you loose the whole thing!

Hope you have the restoration cds!
In the beginning there was the command line.

#4 hp1184

hp1184
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2007 - 06:43 PM

Thanks so much. I knew there had to be something I was missing!

#5 hp1184

hp1184
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2007 - 03:45 PM

I thought I had the cds but it turns out that I don't. Are there specific CDs individual to each computer or can I buy ones that will work for this hard drive?

#6 komski

komski

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:00 PM

Posted 07 October 2007 - 02:25 AM

You can order the CD or Set of CDs from HP.

#7 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2007 - 10:05 AM

Hard drives, right out of the box, are not partitioned nor formatted and therefore you get that message.

Not to mention that you also need to go into the BIOS and make sure the drive is recognized.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users