Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fat32 Flash Drive Causes Crashing?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Rob8UrChips

Rob8UrChips

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 PM

Posted 30 September 2007 - 03:42 PM

Hi Folks,

Been using an 8GB FAT32 flash drive in my USB 2.0 port for about 5 or so months and in the last few days the Windows 2000 Pro OS has been placing 5 BOOTEX.LOG entries on it - one for each auto-reboot after crashing. The log consistently reports no problem on diskcheck after each reboot.

Can I somehow persuade my system not to crash? And if so, how please?
If not, then should I seek a refund or replacement on the basis that it's causing problems too soon after purchase?

You should note I have problems maintaining a connection to the Web due to other unresolved and probably unrelated problems. If you're a glutton for punishment, they're posted in the Windows 2000 forum.

If you need to ask questions, please do so - I'll answer ASAP.
Thanks (and may the medicine taste bad) :thumbsup:

EDIT: 'Phoned the supplier tech help who said I should format it. I wont be able to try for a couple of days as I'm using it to download two torrents of 4.1GB and 3.4GB.
I'm not sure if formatting it is such a good idea, what do you think?
In fact, (and don't laugh too loudly) but I'm not even sure how to go about it....

Edited by Rob8UrChips, 01 October 2007 - 04:46 AM.

Rob
(the one who knows from experience that:
1. ignorance combined with minimal wealth + plenty health is, in fact, bliss;
2. asking questions becomes dangerous when they're answered; and,
3. eating too many chips wont make you into a FAT32).

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rob8UrChips

Rob8UrChips
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 PM

Posted 01 October 2007 - 02:37 PM

Any ideas or comments folks - it's crashed another 6 times since the last Post.

Thanks.
Rob
(the one who knows from experience that:
1. ignorance combined with minimal wealth + plenty health is, in fact, bliss;
2. asking questions becomes dangerous when they're answered; and,
3. eating too many chips wont make you into a FAT32).

#3 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:33 AM

Posted 01 October 2007 - 02:59 PM

I formatted my 2gb flash drive once when I tried to install pen drive linux and screwed up. It works fine now.

To format a drive, go onto my computer, and right click the disk. There you should see format. Once you click that a little window should pop up asking you how you would like to format it. Make sure the right amount of space is selected (it should be the default that comes up), Fat32, and all that other stuff.

Also, you may know this, but formatting will delete all data off of it.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 AM

Posted 01 October 2007 - 07:42 PM

I don't think that this is related to your flash drive - but formatting it can't hurt.

I suspect that it's related to the STOP 0xd1 error from your other post (a bad driver, bad RAM or a corrupt pagefile). I'd suggest posting this info over with the original thread to let those folks know what's going on.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users