Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Voip Service?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 GeauxTigers

GeauxTigers

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 PM

Posted 30 September 2007 - 02:53 PM

Ok, so I have been with Vonage for the past year or so but now it looks like they are about to go the way of SunRocket. I hope they make it through but all these lawsuits against them are making it look pretty grim. Anyways, I figured it might be time to change to a more stable VoIP service. What do you guys suggest? I have one friend who swears by Net2Phone and another that has been with Lingo for a while. Anyone here got any good recommendations? :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MattV

MattV

• Members
  • 736 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:46 PM

Posted 30 September 2007 - 03:47 PM

It's a bit early, yet, to sound the abandon ship alarm. Unless, of course, you want to play right into the hands of Verizon, Sprint, and any other "mainstream" telephone "service" providers that are using this as an opportunity to bleed Vonage for revenues lost when people found that they could suddenly have reliable phone service at about a third of the price of the mainstream providers. Add to that the fact that caller ID, call waiting, etc - all of the things you pay extra for with companies like Verizon are included with Vonage, as well as free long distance 24/7 - and the mainstream phone companies suddenly saw people dropping them by the millions.

Well, the Verizon award against Vonage was overturned by a higher court. A precedent has been set. And I recently saw that another VOIP company is folding, perhaps giving Vonage a chance to increase it's customer base.

I'll remain with Vonage. I really don't want to have to go back to Verizon and their $90/mo. phone bills - with no extras or (free) long distance. You really don't want to see the mainstream "providers" win and force us all back into their unmerciful grasp, do you?

(Personally, I'd buy a Tracphone. I use a phone so little that $40/mo. would cover me.)

#3 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 AM

Posted 30 September 2007 - 04:04 PM

What is wrong with a free VOIP Service?

#4 GeauxTigers

GeauxTigers
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2007 - 08:54 PM

Which one is free?

#5 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 AM

Posted 30 September 2007 - 09:50 PM

Many are free.Check out the Net for free ones.
I have Skype and Google Talk. Google Talk hasn't as many bells and whistles as Skype,however Google talk does everything I need and is simple to use. Links for free VOIP.Hope this helps.

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navc...rnational+calls

#6 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Members
  • 35,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 PM

Posted 30 September 2007 - 10:13 PM

Free does not allow you to have a phone number that can be called, from an existing land line or cell phone. I think thats the intent of discussing 'pay' services. The VoIP being discussed is an alternative to traditional POTS.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#7 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,566 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2007 - 10:30 AM

I don't know your location,but if you are in the NY metro area tr to find Optimum. A Cablevision company. They provide excellent cable TV,VOIP and cable broadband for under $100 USD / mo. Top rated too. I use it Great Voip's one of the fastest internets.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#8 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 PM

Posted 05 October 2007 - 11:04 PM

Skype, 30 bucks a year unlimited calling to all phones in the US and Canada.
10 bucks? a month for your own skype number so friends can call you back.

#9 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2007 - 02:39 PM

Skype is a good deal if you're always on your computer. But if you don't want to you could buy there $150 phone that can be directly hooked up to your cable modem (or router). Personally, if I was in this predicament I would go with Vonage. There rate plans are really good, especially internationally. They beat Skype on a few locations and visa versa. But if you want to keep it within you're own country (probably USA, I'm guessing?) I would go with Vonage.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users