Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista Sudden Boot Failure

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 NINJ4

NINJ4

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 PM

Posted 30 September 2007 - 02:37 PM

Greetings all,
I hope this hasn't been covered somewhere already but my search came up dry.
I have been running Vista with out any major problems for a couple of months now. With out knowingly making any changes to the hardware or software of my system I now get the "Reboot and Select Proper Boot Device" Message. This is what I've covered so far myself:

-Hard drive is set to master (tried CS as well)
-Actually removed all other HDs just in case
-IDE cable is fine and connected
-HD is the only device powered off strand from power supply
-Boot device priority is correctly set with HD first (except when I want to boot off the DVD)
-Reset the BIOS settings to default
-Placed HD in secondary computer in slave mode (Files intact, ran check disk with no errors)
-Can boot off the Vista disc, enter repair mode but OS is NOT listed.
(If I select load drivers at that menu it DISPLAYS MY HARD DRIVE AND ALL MY FILES how frustrating is that!)

I've run out of ideas from googling my problem. Any suggestions appreciated.
(I seem to remember repairing boot sectors with XP, can I do this from Vista repair somehow if I enter the command prompt?)
Thanks
-Christian

Edited by NINJ4, 30 September 2007 - 02:38 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 PM

Posted 30 September 2007 - 09:24 PM

Sounds like the boot files on the hard drive aren't doing their job. Have you tried running Startup Repair from the Vista DVD?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Guest_uhaligani_*

Guest_uhaligani_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 30 September 2007 - 10:56 PM

Your fixes so far all relate to hardware problems. I think you are looking at a software problem, rather.
You have not, by chance, deleted a folder called "Boot" on your hard disk?

Edited by uhaligani, 30 September 2007 - 10:58 PM.

#4 NINJ4

NINJ4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2007 - 08:23 AM

-usasma: Yes I have used the repair on the Vista dvd, my OS isn't listed, even though I can access the hard drive in the command prompt and through the "Load Files" option.

-uhaligani: Lol, no I did not delete the boot folder but yes, I agree that this is the issue.

How can I repair my boot files if it wont list the OS in the Vista repair window?

#5 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2007 - 05:20 PM

Sorry that I missed the part of your post about trying the Startup Repair already (bad eyes - see my avatar :huh:

I would think that something has corrupted the ability of Windows to boot (No duh!). I'd suggest that you try a repair install of Vista. See this link (it's essentially an upgrade of the current Vista installation using your Vista DVD): http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/88236-re...tall-vista.html
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 NINJ4

NINJ4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2007 - 10:57 PM

Alright! Thanks for the link. I'll give that a try.

#7 Guest_uhaligani_*

Guest_uhaligani_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 01 October 2007 - 11:25 PM

"-uhaligani: Lol, no I did not delete the boot folder but yes, I agree that this is the issue."
So you no longer have that folder or..?
I could zip it and post it. - might do the jpb+

#8 Guest_uhaligani_*

Guest_uhaligani_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 03 October 2007 - 01:29 AM

If you can get into a command prompt through the repair option, you can regain the Vista MBR (As that could be the only problem)like this:
Type the following commands in the Command panel:

1. Bootrec /fixboot
2. Bootrec /fixmbr

Edited by uhaligani, 03 October 2007 - 01:30 AM.

#9 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2007 - 06:56 AM

Great tip uhaligani!!! It sent me on a search for bootrec and I found this description in the KB: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392

#10 Guest_uhaligani_*

Guest_uhaligani_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 03 October 2007 - 08:37 AM

Well there you go!! A full cover. I have had it in my list of "instant repair tips" for a while. I must have initially got it from Microsoft. It's a great life saver when you have your back against the wall.

#11 NINJ4

NINJ4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2007 - 11:03 PM

Okay, sorry for the delay in response but I have simply not had the time to continue tackling this. However, now following your suggestions on both paths I have run into roadblocks on each.

I cannot initiate a repair install or 'upgrade' as when I get to that point I find that the 'Upgrade' selection has been grayed out. There is a message that says 'Upgrade has been disabled'. It also encourages me to start this process from windows if I wish to perform an upgrade. -.-

With the other option, I found that upon entering the command 'C:\>Bootrec /fixboot' I get the response 'Element not found'. Although the process 'C:\>Bootrec /fixmbr' was successful. I checked and there was no change in vista booting. Perhaps someone with more understanding of this could shed light on these proceedings.

As always your thoughts and time are appreciated greatly. I would really like to avoid a clean install here if at all possible.

Note: Searching the net I found this short forum message where the user describes the same issue that I am having and says he fixed it by making the partition 'active'. How is this done and could it solve it for me??
http://www.techjamaica.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38904

Edited by NINJ4, 06 October 2007 - 11:13 PM.

#12 komski

komski

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2007 - 03:34 AM

There are a number of utilities (including Disk Management when one can boot to an NT version of Windows) but you could try the Partition Magic Clone the free open source GParted Live CD. Boot to the CD (generally keep hitting enter for all the defaults). Right click on the relevant partition and set the Flags value to boot for that partition. BootIt-NG is another approach as a very versatile free trial application probably best run from a boot floppy or boot cd and not installed to the HDD - read its pdf file before using it.

PS
( A ). Some GParted Screenshots including the relevant Manage Flags one at the end.

( B ). BootIt-NG instructions to set the correct partition active using the BootIt NG floppy disk or CD as per linked image.
Posted Image

Edited by komski, 07 October 2007 - 04:13 AM.

#13 NINJ4

NINJ4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2007 - 04:25 AM

Thanks for all the advice, but I've given up. I don't know enough about those partition programs to get them to do what I want. I was able to set the partition to active but it made no difference. I've spent at least as long trying to fix this as I would have to just to a clean install and find all my programs again. At least this time I'll make a proper backup of my vista setup. The only thing is I still have no idea what happened or how to stop it from happening again.

Cheers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users