Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Think I Have Malware, Can't Get Rid Of It

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 gtsamp

gtsamp

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:00 PM

Posted 30 September 2007 - 02:23 PM

I have done a Window's update, Loaded Trend Micro PC-cillin and ran a scan, Loaded and ran Ad-Aware, Loaded and Run Spy-Bot Search & Destroy. I still get this annoying shild with a red x and then blue question mark blinking in my tray saying I need to download more uptodate spyware. I have been running scans since last week and ran another today. Ad-Adware found Malware and I quaretined today, but I thought it found it last week and got rid of it. I don't know what else to do.

~Mod Edit: Topic moved to more appropriate forum~ TMacK

Edited by TMacK, 30 September 2007 - 03:31 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Bonneville

Bonneville

• Members
  • 233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 PM

Posted 30 September 2007 - 03:28 PM

:thumbsup:

Hiya,

Try Here Run the scan in safe mode.

Regards,

Tony.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream ?

#3 sirtazthe2th

sirtazthe2th

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:00 PM

Posted 30 September 2007 - 03:40 PM

whats so special about running virus scanes in safe mode?? does it work better or is there some hidden reason(if it is better ill start doing it asaap)

#4 gtsamp

gtsamp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2007 - 03:48 PM

Sorry, forgot to mention, when I first downloaded all these tools, I did run them in Safe Mode. I did not do that just today though.

#5 Bonneville

Bonneville

• Members
  • 233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 PM

Posted 30 September 2007 - 03:56 PM

Hiya,

Running any scan whilst in safe mode does take a little longer than if in normal windows mode, however, it permits the scan to thoroughly interogate the whole system and applications; Therefore carrying out a far superior scan.

Regards

Tony.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream ?

#6 sirtazthe2th

sirtazthe2th

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:00 PM

Posted 30 September 2007 - 04:04 PM

Hiya,

Running any scan whilst in safe mode does take a little longer than if in normal windows mode, however, it permits the scan to thoroughly interogate the whole system and applications; Therefore carrying out a far superior scan.

Regards

Tony.

oh ok ill start scanning in safe mode from now on then

#7 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,195 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:00 AM

Posted 30 September 2007 - 05:51 PM

Super Antispyware may remove the antivirgear malware. If you still have a problem, follow the removal guide in the link below.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/108399/how-to-remove-antivirgear-removal-instructions/
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#8 gtsamp

gtsamp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2007 - 10:22 PM

I tried SuperAntiSPy, but got "The system Admin has set policies to prevent this installation". I even tried logging in as admin. Luckily, I got the home page of bleeping computer and wouldn't you know, my frient AntiVirGear was there and I followed the SmitfraudFix and now it seems to be gone! Yippee.

However, my PC seems to be running alittle slower than normal, but maybe it is the addition of all the antispyware I tried to load to get rid of this thing! ugh!

Thanks so much, this website is awesome.

Tracy

#9 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,195 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:00 AM

Posted 01 October 2007 - 05:21 AM

You most likely have other malware on your computer.
It would be a good idea to run a scan with Super Antispyware in safe mode and an online scan with Bit Defender to remove the malware that accompanies the Smitfraud malware.
Just have one antivirus program and one antispyware program running at startup. You can use the settings in each program to control that or you can use a program such as Startup Inspector.
Run the online scan for Bit Defender in normal mode. Allow it to quarantine whatever it finds.
http://www.bitdefender.com/scan8/ie.html

Remove temporary files, logs, cookies, etc. by using Ccleaner. Do not use "Advanced Settings" or the "Issues" button. Use only the default settings. http://www.ccleaner.com/

Once you have removed all malware, flush your "system restore" points as some are infected. Info (if you need it) on how to do that is in the link below.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/windows-xp-system-restore-guide/

http://www.windowsstartup.com/startupinspector.php
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users