Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help With Linksys Router

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 QuaGon

QuaGon

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 PM

Posted 30 September 2007 - 02:03 PM

hi,
i have a linksys router. my dad has the router downstairs and im wireless upstairs. my connection used to be fine but now it says im connected to the network. then it will loose connection and it keeps trying to connect to another local NETGEAR connecion in the area which isnt my connection and is unsafe... can anyone tell me what to do to stop my PC seeing this other connection and stop it from connecting to this network and to keep my PC on my network lol... thanks

edit

im using a wireless network PCI adaptor. duno if that helps

Edited by QuaGon, 30 September 2007 - 02:09 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 M...

M...

• Members
  • 386 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 PM

Posted 30 September 2007 - 03:46 PM

Hello QuaGon,

From what you said, I'm assuming that the wireless network in your home is secured in one or more ways. If your wireless network is configured to "not broadcast the SSID", you might want to look at the following articles, especially the last one (which seems to have a solution for a computer trying to connect exclusively to a specific "non-broadcast" wireless network).

"Wireless Deployment Recommendations and Best Practices":

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/network/wifi/wideprec.mspx

A quote from the first section ("Service Set Identifier (SSID) Suppression"):

"If you want to use SSID suppression, you should understand that Windows XP Wireless Auto Configuration will connect to the first preferred wireless network that is advertising its SSID, even though it is lower in the preferred networks list than a wireless network that is present but is not advertising its SSID. This behavior can produce confusing results when you introduce a Windows-based wireless client using Wireless Auto Configuration into a wireless environment in which some wireless networks are advertising their SSID and some are not."

"Non-broadcast Wireless Networks with Microsoft Windows":

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb726942.aspx

"Description of the Wireless Client Update for Windows XP with Service Pack 2":

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=917021

A quote from the "Changes for nonbroadcast networks" section of the above article:

"The Wireless Client Update lets you configure wireless networks as broadcast networks or as nonbroadcast networks. Additionally, Wireless Auto Configuration sends probe requests only for nonbroadcast networks.

When you configure wireless networks in Windows XP, you can specify a wireless network as nonbroadcast by using the Association tab in the properties dialog box of the wireless network. To define a wireless network as nonbroadcast, select Connect even if the network is not broadcasting under Network Name (SSID)."

#3 QuaGon

QuaGon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 PM

Posted 30 September 2007 - 05:33 PM

thanks for fast reply!

after going on 192.168.1.1 and messing around. i changed channel from 11, as there were many other networks on that channel in my area. i have also told it to not broadcast SSID and also set it so windows DOES NOT config wireless network. so as windows stop switching me from one network to another... it seems stable but only time will tell... i think i got it sorted... thanks for your help

Qua

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users