Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Userinit Login App Unchecked

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 MickieJ

MickieJ

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 PM

Posted 30 September 2007 - 10:51 AM

:thumbsup:

Yesterday, in an effort to speed up my start up on my computer, I ran CCleaner. I got a long list of possible things that could be "unchecked" so they didn't run during start up. I used the start up database here at bleepingcomputer.com to help me understand what each file was for. For those that I chose to uncheck, I listed each (in case I had problems, like I do now).

My computer is a Dell PC, Windows XP SP2 (Home Edition, I think). I unchecked the Userinit Login App file (C:\Windows\system32\usuerinit.exe). After going through the list, I decided best to re-boot and see if I had problems. Now I can't login (obviously) and previously there were two users, neither of which work now. It starts to load personal settings, flashes into the desktop and then back out with Logging off and back to the login window.

So, being savy enough to get around my computer, but too wary to just start poking, I am not sure how to get back into the registry and RE-check the userinit.ext file.

Anybody have any suggestions??

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 PM

Posted 30 September 2007 - 11:11 AM

One of the fixes on these threads should help
http://www.winhelponline.com/blogs/42/Rest...serinitexe-file

http://forum.sysinternals.com
I'm not sure but you might want to double-check the spelling:
(C:\Windows\system32\usuerinit.exe) If you didn't misspell "usuerinit" that might be an indication of some problems
Mark

Edited by garmanma, 30 September 2007 - 11:15 AM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 MickieJ

MickieJ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2007 - 11:22 AM

Thanks for the advice, I will check that out. Yes, I did mispell it...should have been ...\userinit.exe Thanks again :thumbsup:

#4 MickieJ

MickieJ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2007 - 03:31 PM

:thumbsup: :flowers: :trumpet:

I hope someone can give me a bit more instruction, furthering garmanma advice. Trying to use the forums/sysinternal.com, since it sounded the closest to my problem. But for the life of me, I can't figure out how to get to a dos prompt on my computer that only powers up the windows and doesn't let me go any further. I tried using F2, F8 and F12, but nothing there sounded like anything I wanted to mess with...unless I had further instruction.

So....I have the NFTS4DOS files on a CD, along with the other two "fix" files, but don't know how to use them for my computer.

Anyone??

#5 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 PM

Posted 30 September 2007 - 03:54 PM

(Note: this just occurred to me, I've not had a chance to test it)

Using a boot CD that allows access to the registry, navigate to the following registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon
(Note: I know of two CD's that will allow access to the registry: I would recommend the UBCD4Win over the OPaRE simply because UBCD4Win offers a friendlier GUI than the rather confusing command line only OPaRE. However, UBCD4Win is a much larger download and requires a bit of work to burn to a CD.)

After booting one of the CD's and accessing the above registry key, create (or edit, as the case may be) the Userinit string value to: C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\userinit.exe (note, if your Windows folder is not on the C:\ drive, then substitute the appropriate dive letter).

Reboot and see if everything is a-ok

#6 MickieJ

MickieJ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2007 - 09:16 PM

Several days later, and I am still trying to figure something out that will work. I was able to download and load onto a flash drive the NTFS4DOS from Avira. I can change the boot sequence to start from the flash, but all that comes up is FREEDOS. At that point I am lost. I have read lots from many different forums, and it seems if I had a recovery console CD, that might help me. Since I have two laptops in the house, along with the disabled desktop, is it possible to create a recovery CD from either of those laptops (both are newer than the desktop, but all were kept updated with windows, virus protection etc.) and that CD could be used on the desktop.

For certain, when I can get back into my computer, I will be creating a recovery CD!!

Anyone have any experience with using a recovery CD from another computer, but same OS and updates?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users