Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Stopping Avg Free Edition At Startup?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Liz1229

Liz1229

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 AM

Posted 30 September 2007 - 10:28 AM

I have installed AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition 7.5. Is there anyway to select an option to keep it from starting and updating at start up? I have stopped it through MSConfig but that makes it a selective startup. I just want to take it off the start up list completely. How can I do that?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,289 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 AM

Posted 30 September 2007 - 12:15 PM

MSConfig is a troubleshooting utility used to diagnose and fix system configuration issues. Although it works as a basic startup manager, msconfig should not be used routinely to disable auto-start programs. Further, msconfig does not list all applications loaded in all possible startup locations (some entry points are hidden and unknown to the user) and does not allow the complete removal of disabled entries from its list. You should not use msconfig to disable startup applications related to a running service. Doing so alters the registry and there are services that are essential for hardware and booting your system. When you uncheck a service in msconfig, you completely disable it. If you uncheck the wrong one, you may not be able to restart your computer. You should only disable services using Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services.

A better alternative is to use a startup manager. If you have Spybot S&D 1.5 installed, launch it, go to Mode and select Advanced. Then go to Tools, select System Startups. You will be provided with a list of programs that load when Windows starts. If you untick an entry it will no longer run at startup.

Other startup managers you can download and use for free are Startup Control Panel, Autoruns or Starter by CodeStuff.

Any particular reason you want to do this?
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 Liz1229

Liz1229
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2007 - 01:04 PM

I just don't like AVG running at start up because it automatically updates and takes longer to start Internet Explorer. I want AVG to run manually when I have time to run it.

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 AM

Posted 30 September 2007 - 01:36 PM

By "running at start", do you mean the program loading at startup, or it doing a virus scan at startup?
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 Liz1229

Liz1229
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2007 - 01:46 PM

It loads and the icon is on the quick launch bar. The only thing that makes it lnger to start Internet Explorer is that it connects to the internet and loads any updates. I turned it off with S&D. Is that ok? I also changed the start up under msconfig back to normal.

#6 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2007 - 02:15 PM

Would it not be simpler to use the Control Center, change the update manager not to update automatically on computer restart? That way you will assure yourself the AVG is fully functional whenever your computer is on, and that real-time protection is always active.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,289 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2007 - 02:29 PM

I have to agree with jgweed. By turning AVG off altogether just because of the automatic updates, you are losing your real time protection and opening yourself to malware infection.

#8 toosmiles

toosmiles

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 AM

Posted 30 September 2007 - 05:48 PM

hey m8,
id open up avg control center-highlight the scheduler-bottom of the page to scheduled tasks-then highlight test plan in basic mode-then edit schedule and untick box-that will stop it from starting up the scan when u turn it on
the other thing is the updater-use the simliar settings bar as the schedule-update plan and set the time etc or untick for your convenient time
id just right click over the 'avg' in the taskbar and 'check for updates'

#9 Liz1229

Liz1229
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2007 - 09:14 PM

Thanks... the update manager is what I needed to know. That was what I was looking for on the program, but couldn't find the option. Thanks guys! :thumbsup:

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,289 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2007 - 07:56 AM

In case you don't have it, you may want to download and read over the AVG Anti-Virus Free User Manual.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users