Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"send To" Button Freezes Computer

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 AM

Posted 30 September 2007 - 06:49 AM

Hye guys, I was wondering if you could help me with a problem that I am experiencing with my "Send to" button. Whenever I move my mouse over the "Send to" button in my context menu, my computer freezes for about thirty seconds. It is an annoying little problem for me because whenever I want to send a shortcut to my desktop, I have to click create shortcut and then paste it on my desktop. Also when I open my context menu, sometimes I move my mouse over the "Send to" button by accident and then my computer freezes for about thirty seconds. I also read that it is something about a printer that slows this down, but, there isn't anything like a printer etc. in the "Send to" button or folder. Hope you guys can help! Thanks!

Edited by Grinler, 02 June 2010 - 11:59 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,285 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 AM

Posted 30 September 2007 - 07:04 AM

Check Event Viewer for clues?

Louis

#3 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2007 - 07:09 AM

Thanks for replying so quick! I have already checked the event viewer for problems, nothing there.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,285 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 AM

Posted 30 September 2007 - 07:13 AM

Is the system fully updated?

My best guess would be file corruption of some sort...have you tried running sfc /scannow?

Louis

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 PM

Posted 01 October 2007 - 05:37 PM

Try opening up Task Manager and then the Processes tab.
Click on View, then on Select Columns
Then check the box that says "IO Reads" and click OK to close the dialog

Resize the Task Manager window so you can see the most of it and can still see an icon to right click on.
Then right click on something and select "Send To" - look for any unexpected jumps in the CPU, Memory, and IO Reads columns. If something stands out, let us know and we can work on fixing it. If not, then let us know anyway and we can look at other things.

Just FYI - the lag at the Send To menu is (IME) a resource issue - something is hogging the resources so that explorer.exe can't execute the Send To stuff in a timely fashion - so the first place to look would be in the major resources on your system(CPU for your CPU, Memory for your RAM, and IO Reads for your hard drive).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2007 - 05:40 PM

Ok I am doing that right now and I will post the results, thanks!

#7 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2007 - 05:48 PM

Ok, I tried what you said and and when I open up the context menu, my CPU jumps straight up to 100% but the computer doesn't lag or anything. Then while the context menu is still open i moved my mouse over send to and then it did what it usually did by lagging but for some reason while it started lagging the CPU dropped to 55% and then started ranging from 22%-59%. Very weird. Also I would like to know the name of a program made by Microsoft that checks your system and restores corrupt files because I suspect I have corrupt files somewhere. Thanks! :thumbsup:

#8 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,764 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 AM

Posted 01 October 2007 - 06:28 PM

Also I would like to know the name of a program made by Microsoft that checks your system and restores corrupt files because I suspect I have corrupt files somewhere. Thanks! :thumbsup:

My best guess would be file corruption of some sort...have you tried running sfc /scannow?

Louis

System File Checker aka sfc is what you are looking for. It's what hamluis already mentioned. You will need your XP CD to run it.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#9 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 PM

Posted 01 October 2007 - 07:14 PM

And what process was associated with the 22 to 59% CPU usage (the item to the left of the CPU column)?
Don't forget to check the Memory and the IO Reads columns also - this may be more than one process involved.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#10 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2007 - 09:23 PM

Ok, will do usasma. Off the topic here but "Animal" I have my XP CD but how do I run it from the CD, sorry I can't remember last time I did it.

#11 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,764 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 AM

Posted 01 October 2007 - 09:26 PM

How to use the scannow sfc tool in Windows XP

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#12 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2007 - 09:39 PM

My System Idle Process jumps staright up to 100% CPU usage but sometimes explore.exe will jump to 100% instead of System Idle Process. I have not noticed any memory usage increasing. I have also noticed that when I move my mouse over the Send to button that as it begins to lag more 2 more processes are added. The added processes are "NMBgMonitor.exe" and "NMIndexStoresvr.exe" which show come under as DAVID in the User Name, Take up 3 mb memory and 8 mb memory. As the come up, for the first two seconds the first one takes up 25% usage for a second, then the other one takes 25% usage for a second then they both go to 0% which by the time the computer is still lagging. Then once it finishes lagging and then context menu for the send to button appears the two processes dissapear.

#13 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2007 - 09:41 PM

Ok thanks "Animal". I will reply to this post if the SFC fixes this "Send to" problem (I doubt it will!) but if it fixes it I will let you know!

#14 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2007 - 10:29 PM

I have just finished using SFC and the "Send to" issue isn't fixed, but my computer seems faster and things are loading quicker. It may have even fixed my taskbar problem but the send to button is still having the same problem!

Edited by Animal, 01 October 2007 - 11:11 PM.
Deleted duplicate statement within post

#15 M...

M...

• Members
  • 386 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 AM

Posted 02 October 2007 - 08:28 AM

"NMBgMonitor.exe" and "NMIndexStoresvr.exe":

http://www.neuber.com/taskmanager/process/...onitor.exe.html

http://www.help2go.com/Tutorials/Software_..._in_Nero_7.html

http://searchtasks.answersthatwork.com/tas...NMIndexStoreSvr