Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can I Paint An External Hdd Without Harming It?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 PM

Posted 29 September 2007 - 08:12 PM

Ok, so basically I'm looking at a Cavalry 100GB HDD, and it's all looking great, USB connection, 100GB for $65, very durable apparently, but one problem. It's the one ugly to rule them all. Gold with transparent blue is not my color, I'll tell you. I was wondering if it could do any harm to airbrush the gold-colored part with metallic black and not harm the HDD inside. I won't be spraying the ports, oh no they'll be covered in the heaviest duty duct tape I can find, but I do want to be rid of that gold finish.
No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2007 - 08:54 PM

it might be small and compact, but I don't trust usb drives powered thru the usb interface

get a real one, compusa 320 gig maxtor 80$
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2007 - 09:27 PM

Just to add to the whole paint thing You have to watch what you use. The propellants and thinners in some paint will eat plastics, unless you're using something like Testor made for plastic models. Krylon makes a paint for plastic and another good option is vinyl spray dye found in auto parts stores
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2007 - 01:04 PM

DaChew:
A larger desktop drive is not practical for what I need to do. Basically, I don't have enough room on my thumb drives anymore to carry around my school files. And an AC cord would just add to the confusion. I MUST get a small drive for school, they wouldn't let me plug in AC things anyway. Thanks for suggesting it though.

Garmanma:
Yes, I was planning on using a Testors metallic black with a Testors airbrush, so no problems there. Question: will the Testors paint bleed underneath the duct tape or not?
No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land.

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2007 - 01:55 PM

DaChew:
A larger desktop drive is not practical for what I need to do. Basically, I don't have enough room on my thumb drives anymore to carry around my school files. And an AC cord would just add to the confusion. I MUST get a small drive for school, they wouldn't let me plug in AC things anyway. Thanks for suggesting it though.

Garmanma:
Yes, I was planning on using a Testors metallic black with a Testors airbrush, so no problems there. Question: will the Testors paint bleed underneath the duct tape or not?

I would use a good quality painter's tape. Don'r forget if you tape over a small groove to press it in with your fingernail to make good contact and seal
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#6 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Staff Emeritus
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA

Posted 30 September 2007 - 02:09 PM

You don't want to over paint any piece of working equipment.
Heat is a factor here remember. That simple extra coat may just kill the drive before its time.
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#7 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2007 - 02:49 PM

You have a good point Koan. Can I assume that you all suggest I get a drive I don't want to change? Take that off the list, then. Would you choose between a Seagate FreeAgent Go which is cheaper and has Ceedo or the Apricorn Aegis which is shock-mounted?

#8 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Staff Emeritus
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA

Posted 30 September 2007 - 03:00 PM

I have some older Seagates externally box mounted. Two years of service with no problems. But I don't move them around either.

I have no experience with the Apricorn minis - I've not heard any horror stories on them either.
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#9 Platypus

Platypus

• 12,811 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 PM

Posted 30 September 2007 - 08:50 PM

I was wondering why not just get a drive you do like the appearance of... ? :thumbsup:

However, a modest coat of paint should not adversely affect the thermal properties of the enclosure, maybe even slightly improve them. Painting black is a long-standing procedure for increasing the dissipation capability of heatsinks.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#10 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2007 - 03:52 PM

I was wondering why not just get a drive you do like the appearance of... ? :thumbsup:

That's why I took the cavalry off the list, you were all giving me subliminal messaging that said, "get something you like!!". It's fine, just come out and tell me stuff like that. However, the Cavalry does not have the advantage of being a well-reputed drive nor does it have shock-mounting or good software. So it's off the list.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users