Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dna.exe

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ProMasser

ProMasser

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 PM

Posted 29 September 2007 - 08:05 PM

http://www.file.net/process/dna.exe.html

This Virus Currently Slow Your Internet Down
And How This Virus is Downloaded by a .exe "BTorrent.exe" I Was Infected With the file but im clean from it so heres a warning DO NOT DOWNLOAD BTORRENT OR BITorrent.exe anything First scan the file but AntiViruses can not pickup this file from what i read and i tried to scan it but it didnt find it infected so be careful and be for opening a .exe do some research "Google.com" Type in the file name Thank you,

Edited by Papakid, 29 September 2007 - 08:54 PM.
Substituted link for copy and paste of another web page

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 PM

Posted 29 September 2007 - 10:28 PM

I've moved this topic to this forum because I don't believe it is accurate to call those files you mentioned, taken together, a new virus and I'm not sure it is a virus at all. DNA.exe is a legitimate file and part of the the Bit Torrent client if located here:

C:\Program Files\BitTorrent_DNA\dna.exe

And while Btorrent.exe might be malware, bittorrent.exe is also legitimate if located here--spelling is important.

C:\Program Files\BitTorrent\bittorrent.exe

I think you may have been looking at some inadequate information and may have confused some files names and locations. The info you posted (and I removed it and substituted the link as there are copyright concerns and the post was a bit confusing) does not give enough details and should be taken with a grain of salt. The best info I could find for DNA.exe is here: http://www.eccentric-toast.com/dnaexe

Any P2P client is a security risk and shouldn't be running on startup, but they aren't a virus and can be used legitimately. If it's causing a slowdown, just get rid of it.

If the exact spelling of the file you had was Btorrent.exe then you did have malware, solid info here: http://www.castlecops.com/s15054-btorrent_exe.html

We appreciate you giving the heads up, but I would like some more details before giving out a warning. Where were your files located and what scanner flagged them as a virus?

The thing about people

is they change

when they walk away.--Mipso

#3 ProMasser

ProMasser
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 PM

Posted 29 September 2007 - 11:06 PM

Well when i was getting popups and fake downloads i scanned my computer with "SuperAntiSpyware" And so it found the virus and yes i did some research i found "DNA.exE" and i went into the folder in C:\Program Files and i found DNA.exe i have the scan log

i believe the virus name is "Trojan.Unknown Origin"
well anyway im happy to see my computer is clean :thumbsup:

Edited by ProMasser, 30 September 2007 - 07:14 AM.

#4 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 PM

Posted 30 September 2007 - 01:49 PM

From looking at you other topics, the reason you were getting popups and such is because you were or are infected with Vundo and OIN. It wasn't dna.exe causing that and that file is not a virus, if, as I already stated, it is in the specific Program Files folder.

If SuperAntiSpyware said dna.exe is malware I need to see the log. It didn't show up in either of the two logs you posted already:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...st&p=622933
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...st&p=622999

If SAS did flag either of the files you mentioned, it should have been in a different folder. If not, then it could be a false positive--we need to see exactly what was detected and then contact the developer and that can only happen with some hard proof like the log entries.

Is Bit Torrent installed on your computer? If you don't trust it, go to Add/Remove Programs and uninstall it. Without some better proof, I think you are misinterpreting some info based on less than reliable sources and jumping to conclusions.

The thing about people

is they change

when they walk away.--Mipso

#5 rgross

rgross

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 PM

Posted 24 October 2007 - 03:52 PM

As Papakid said, BitTorrent.exe and DNA.exe are not viruses or malware. BitTorrent is used to download and distribute files across the internet. DNA is an implementation of BitTorrent used to facilitate speedier and more efficient downloads. A full FAQ on DNA.exe and what it does is available here.

Because both BitTorrent and DNA make connections as part of how they operate, they both sometimes get "false positive" flags as Trojans or other things.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users