Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Drive Image Xl Won't Boot

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 liseminger

liseminger

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 AM

Posted 29 September 2007 - 07:59 PM

I am trying to image my C drive to a new drive I bought with the exact size and specs as the original. But when I power up the PC on the new drive it just gives me a message in white letters on a black screen saying to insert a bootable copy in my drive. I should start out saying that the PC is a Sony Vaio and under Disk Management it shows two partitions on my C drive with the first partition unnamed with 7GB NTFS Healthy EISA Configuration and the second partition named as C drive 226.75GB NTFS Healthy. After numerous attempts my thoughts are I am only imageing the C drive and the first partition is the actual OS and thats why it doesn't boot because thats not included under C drive. Is this correct and if so any suggestions on a workaround? Thanks for any help ahead of time!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 AM

Posted 29 September 2007 - 08:10 PM

Some systems seem to be including a "boot" partition - and most of these "boot" partitions that I've seen are unnamed. If you don't restore an image of it, then the disk isn't likely to boot for you. The OS can be on any drive that you want - and you can call any partition any drive letter that you want (within limits).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 liseminger

liseminger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 AM

Posted 29 September 2007 - 08:29 PM

How do I go about imageing both partitions at the same time? The DiX software only lets me select the second partition.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 AM

Posted 01 October 2007 - 07:49 PM

Dunno, I only use Acronis True Image for my imaging needs and it's able to do this easily (unfortunately it's about $50 US)
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 komski

komski

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 AM

Posted 03 October 2007 - 05:00 AM

TBU's Copy/Wipe will clone one HDD to another in a very straightforward manner - and for free.

You can also use the HDD manufacturer's own utility on CD or Floppy to do this.

If you have any Maxtor or Seagate drive in the system then you can use the latest SeaTools for free and it now is effectively Acronis True Image being "powered by Acronis".

For more flexible free functional trial software that can partition, image and act as a boot manager consider having a look at BootIt-NG - also from the TBU site. There's no need to pay big bucks for such software any more and even Vista now has many partitioning and backup software native to it, which will help make the rip-off big names possible have to reconsider their position.

BTW the first "hidden" EISA partition is almost certainly a recovery partition that would allow you to return the drive to its factory defaults. Best to not lose or delete it.

PS You can also use GParted as a standalone live CD or as part of Knoppix to do much partitioning work and if you are prepared to be a bit geekish the dd utility from any linux distro (notably any of the ones running from a CD) can be used to clone the MBR, the partitions, the whole drive and much more - and all for free once again.

Edited by komski, 03 October 2007 - 05:05 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users