Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Advice Req For Av/spyware/firewall

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Tankie P

Tankie P

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 AM

Posted 29 September 2007 - 01:47 PM

Hi, I am fairly new to computers but realise the need for AV and anti spyware apps. Reading through the forums it seems that there are a myriad of apps that will do the job for me but I can't seem to spot one that will do AV, anti spyware and firewall in one bundle. People have suggested using AVG 7.5 for AV, Windows defender for anti spyware and zone alarm for firewall or 'Switch your windows firewall off mate!' Now these maybe good suggestions and decent programmes in their own right, according to reviews , but if I run all of them at once will they give me the correct level of protection or will they conflict with eachother for proceesor power and slow down my system?? Ultimately will they do the job or can someone recommend a different bundle or a 'does it all' app?

I am using a Toshiba Laptop, XP home, Service Pack 2, Pentium 4, 2.8 Ghz Cpu and 512 RAM (need more??)

Thankyou everyone in advance.

Fear Naught, Tankie P

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Crizz44

Crizz44

• Members
  • 496 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 AM

Posted 29 September 2007 - 02:29 PM

Hi Tankie P,

I am running AVG 7.5 Free edition, ZoneAlarm, Spybot and Adaware on 6 computers. We have very rarely ever had any problems and even then they were minor spyware and a virus that was easily removed. Online habits have a lot to do with the results. I know of others with the same programs that have many problems, because of their online activities. I also like to run an online scan once a month, such as bitdefender. I have been running these programs for years and I am very happy with their performance. The AVG does slow your system down while it scans, it runs a scan daily and can take up to 45 mins or more sometimes. It has a scheduler that you can set the time you want the scan to run, so you can pick the best time for your usage. As for 512 mb of memory is sufficient, but I have found that all of ours run so much better with a Gig of memory. If you check your startup items you can lessen the load on your memory. Usually there are too many unnecessary startup programs.

#3 The Gorilla

The Gorilla

• Members
  • 766 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 AM

Posted 29 September 2007 - 05:06 PM

I am sure you are aware that AVG do an all in one package but it is not free.

You can protect your computer will completely free software and as long as you have a layered approach you should be alright. The only change to your security set up is that I would use comodo firewall instead of zonealarm and either AVG anti spyware or Super AntiSpyware

I also second what Crizz has said - up your ram

#4 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,574 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 AM

Posted 29 September 2007 - 05:59 PM

Tankie P, let me add to what others said:

Free ZA is easier to use in my opinion than a rule making firewall, but nothing against Comodo fw here.

I'd add free AntiHook from InfoProcess to watch the OS better and you're good to go.

If you're using internet Explorer, stop or tighten it up big time. Or switch to free Firefox or free Opera so you can isolate it from Windows OS.

AV scans - I would think that if on-access is enabled in AVG then daily scans may be an overkill, then again, who knows, if you download a lot or surf unsafe sites, or do instant messaging and click links in emails, a daily scan might make sense. With IM it might not even be good enough daily as it is an open invitation to get trash continuously.

512 vs 1000 meg: yes, for me 1 gig runs slightly faster. But the biggest impact when I upped memory really was removing trash installed on the Toshiba computer by Toshiba and about 30 totally unnecessary things running in the background. See the eldergeek site for suggestions what to shut off. See Toshiba forums in Canada for description of what's installed (sorry I lost my link) and what it does.

#5 Tankie P

Tankie P
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 AM

Posted 30 September 2007 - 09:22 AM

Hi all, thanks for your replies. It's comforting to know that I'm on the right lines and I'm going to try some of the suggestions you've offered. I'll let you know how I get on.

T P

#6 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 AM

Posted 30 September 2007 - 02:37 PM

There are pros and cons to using an all-in-one security application.
Do not think that having everything in one application necessarily uses less computing resources than does having several independent applications running concurrently. Both have the save tasks to perform, and it may easily be that because each application is designed to do one thing only that the programmers were more efficient in their design.
Most of the all-in-one solutions were not designed from scratch to work together, but the company owning one module purchased the software for the other modules, and interfaced these with user-front end, often with mixed results. Moreover, unless they took great care to bring key programmers with the software, they have foreign hands attempting to maintain and (sometimes) improve it.
Lastly, although it is simpler for the end user, he is locked into keeping the suite. This may mean that he is unable to include "best of breed" for each module, and must take a second-best in one module to keep a first-rate (for example) AV, or to tailor his security to meet his needs.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users