Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Drive Help

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 robotgiraffe

robotgiraffe

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 PM

Posted 29 September 2007 - 01:23 PM

how can i tell information about my hard drive itself?
i have no idea whether i have IDE or SATA or the RPM or anything like that, and i think i need to know.

or at least i need to know enough information to find an OEM for my hard drive.. which leads me to my next problem.. this isn't the software forum but i was wondering if someone could help me anyway. my hard drive apparently isn't recognized by windows XP when i try to install, so i need to find some "OEM installation software" so it can tell what kind of hard drive i have and so i can install. how do i tell what kind of hard drive i have and then get the OEM software for that hard drive?

thanks in advance

Edited by robotgiraffe, 29 September 2007 - 01:35 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 PM

Posted 29 September 2007 - 03:24 PM

It will tell you in the BIOS. WD-Western Digital, STE-Maxtor/Seagate. Their respective websites will have a diagnostics download. What problem do you have?
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2007 - 08:04 PM

I suspect that you have a SATA hard drive and don't have the proper drivers for it (if it was an IDE drive you wouldn't have the issue as Windows will recognize IDE drives). So, in order for us to identify the drivers, we will need to know the exact make and model of your system (if it's a custom system, then we'll need you to identify the make and model of the motherboard by reading it from the motherboard inside the case)
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 robotgiraffe

robotgiraffe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2007 - 02:26 AM

It will tell you in the BIOS. WD-Western Digital, STE-Maxtor/Seagate. Their respective websites will have a diagnostics download. What problem do you have?
Mark

Well my problem is when I try to install Windows XP, when I am at the point of choosing where to install it to (i.e. what disk/partition), it says

"Unknown Disk
<There is no disk in this drive.>"
several times and shows no actual disks.

And won't let me create a partition because it thinks there is no disk there. When I try to install anyway by pressing Enter, I get a BSOD of

***STOP: 0x0000008E (0xC0000005, 0xF7418CAD, 0xF6FD47E4, 0x00000000)

***setupdd.sys - Address F7418CAD base at F73EC0000, Datestamp 41107C8f

I googled this problem and several sites said I would have to get installation software for my hard drive disk so that it would recognize it and I could install.

I suspect that you have a SATA hard drive and don't have the proper drivers for it (if it was an IDE drive you wouldn't have the issue as Windows will recognize IDE drives). So, in order for us to identify the drivers, we will need to know the exact make and model of your system (if it's a custom system, then we'll need you to identify the make and model of the motherboard by reading it from the motherboard inside the case)

Okay I ran a system information scan and it says I have a

Western Digital (model WD2000JS-00MHB0) with an SCSI SATA-II interface, 7200 RPM, of the WD Caviar SE Sata II disk family. I hope that is enough information, but you need anything else just tell me what specifically..
So how do I obtain the software so that Windows XP installation would recognize my disk?

Thanks for the help :thumbsup:

Edited by robotgiraffe, 30 September 2007 - 02:28 AM.

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2007 - 08:21 AM

http://support.wdc.com/download/index.asp?cxml=n

You might try contacting Western Digital and ask. According to their site, the driver is unavailable, don't understand why. I'll keep checking
Mark
Yours is the 2nd selection

Edited by garmanma, 30 September 2007 - 08:22 AM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#6 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,107 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2007 - 11:04 AM

Link I beleive this is the driver. When loading windows when it ask for any third party raid or SCSI software press F6 and select ( S ) install the drivers. It says its for a controller card but, also list the drive for compatibility. You will need to have the drivers on a floppy disk.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#7 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,200 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 PM

Posted 30 September 2007 - 08:16 PM

robotgiraffe, the information requested by usasma is what we require - you'll need the appropriate SATA driver for the SATA chip on your motherboard. Drivers are not supplied by HDD manufacturers as they do not know what SATA controller you are going to be using.

Do you have a driver CD anywhere belonging to the motherboard in your system? If so the SATA drivers should be on it. You can copy them onto a floppy disk and follow the F6 procedure already mentioned in the post above.

Edited by Platypus, 30 September 2007 - 08:19 PM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#8 robotgiraffe

robotgiraffe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2007 - 11:12 PM

robotgiraffe, the information requested by usasma is what we require - you'll need the appropriate SATA driver for the SATA chip on your motherboard. Drivers are not supplied by HDD manufacturers as they do not know what SATA controller you are going to be using.

Do you have a driver CD anywhere belonging to the motherboard in your system? If so the SATA drivers should be on it. You can copy them onto a floppy disk and follow the F6 procedure already mentioned in the post above.

The information for my motherboard is:
Manufacturer: Intel
Model: D945GCZ
Version: AAD41668-502
Serial Number: AZCZ60507677
Chipset Vendor: Intel Corporation
Chipset Model: 945G Processor to I/O Controller
South Bridge: 82801GH (ICH7DH) LPC Interface Controller
SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) SMBus Controller @2000h

Is that enough information? Unfortunately, I don't have a driver CD for my motherboard.. Sorry

#9 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,200 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2007 - 12:14 AM

You can source what you need for your board starting from here:

http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/...45gcz/index.htm

The instruction manual is here:

http://download.intel.com/support/motherbo...d1047604_en.pdf

Your SATA drivers are called RAID drivers, as the SATA controller on that board is capable of RAID operation, but if this is not enabled in the BIOS setup, it operates as a plain SATA controller, or emulates an IDE controller. You could simplify the process by setting the controller mode to IDE in the BIOS - the controller would appear to be a standard IDE interface and Windows would use its own IDE drivers. By doing this you would lose some advantages of SATA, such as hot-swapping drives, and higher speed if your drive is SATA-II. You generally can't then go from IDE mode to SATA without re-installing the OS.

These options and some other information are covered in the section SATA Modes in this document:

http://download.intel.com/support/motherbo...d1047604_en.pdf

Unless someone else knows straight off, I'll need a little time to investigate exactly the files and procedure for you.

#10 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,200 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2007 - 01:41 AM

They don't half make it complicated to figure out... :thumbsup:

Intel's instructions are here:

http://downloadmirror.intel.com/11320/ENG/...ntel_readme.txt

See section 5.3 Pre-Installation Using the F6 Method.

You can go directly to the SATA drivers from here:

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Product_Fi...?ProductID=2101

download the F6 floppy creation utility and run with a blank floppy disk to create the driver disk.

In the BIOS setup, select SATA (AHCI, no RAID) mode for the drive controller, then follow the section 5.3 instructions to install Windows.

When Windows installation is finished, first install the Intel chipset .inf driver from the motherboard support site in my post above, then any other drivers necessary for the rest of your hardware.

Edited by Platypus, 01 October 2007 - 01:45 AM.

#11 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,107 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2007 - 04:41 AM

Nice catch Platypus I forgot that SATA drivers were motherboard or RAID controller dependent not drive dependent. :thumbsup:

Chad Mockensturm 

#12 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,200 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2007 - 05:10 AM

No worries, cyber

#13 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2007 - 07:29 PM

There's several different ways to install the SATA/RAID drivers - I find it easiest to use a USB floppy drive and install them using the F6 method. Other's will recommend slipstreaming the drivers into your XP CD and going from there. Still others will recommend other methods (such as using the IDE mode to get into Windows and then changing it to SATA (but I've only heard of this once).

Needless to say, it's what works that counts - not which way you choose.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#14 komski

komski

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 AM

Posted 01 October 2007 - 09:42 PM

Hi - have had a read of the manual and it seems you can configure as standalone drive or as RAID but for the latter you need the following, including 2 drives minimum:

Configuring the BIOS for Intel Matrix Storage Technology
1. Assemble your system and attach two or more SATA hard drives.
2. Enter system BIOS Setup by pressing the <F2> key after the Power-On-Self-Test (POST)
memory tests begin.
3. Go to Advanced ۠ Drive Configuration ۠ Configure SATA as; ensure RAID is selected.
4. Then save your settings by pressing <F10>.

So it sounds like you shouldnt select RAID in the BIOS. The manual also indicates that, (as with most modern mobos), that you shouldn't need any additional drivers to see a non-RAID standalone SATA - and so shouldn't need to use the F6 option during setup to see the drive.

If you install a Serial ATA or IDE device (such as a hard drive) in your computer, the autoconfiguration
utility in the BIOS automatically detects and configures the device for your computer.
You do not need to run the BIOS Setup program after installing a Serial ATA or IDE device. You
can override the auto-configuration options by specifying manual configuration in the BIOS Setup
program.

If Windows setup isn't seeing the drive then do check that you can detect the drive in the BIOS setup - if not seen by the BIOS you are going nowhere. Is this a new drive or was it working and failed? Some history of why you are now installing/reinstalling could be helpful.

PS Consider running the WD diagnostics from a boot floppy or CD as suggested earlier in this thread.

Edited by komski, 01 October 2007 - 09:47 PM.

#15 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,107 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2007 - 04:32 AM

The bios will recognize or should without drivers windows will not however.

Chad Mockensturm 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users