Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Google In The Search Companion

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 RedDwarf

RedDwarf

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 AM

Posted 29 September 2007 - 10:49 AM

:thumbsup: Hi there.

I like to use the search companion because it gives me a list of results on the left of the window, and when I click on a result it opens on the right of the window but I retain my list of results on the left, so I can click on the others if I am not finding what I am looking for.
I know how to change the preferences so I can use different search engines but I can't figure out hoe to select google.
I have just re-installed Windows and prior to that I had Google there but I am buggered if I can figure out how I did it. I really want it back but it doesn't seem to be in the list of possible choices...
Any ideas on how I did it before?

Cheers

Edited by RedDwarf, 29 September 2007 - 08:46 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 AM

Posted 29 September 2007 - 12:22 PM

Hi RedDwarf and Welcome to Bleeping Computer. :thumbsup:

In Firefox:
To have more search engines, click on the Icon in the search engine Address Bar, then click on Manage Search Engines.
In the box that opens, click on the link Get More Search Engines.
On that page, click on the Search Engines you would like, and follow any additional instructions.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#3 RedDwarf

RedDwarf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2007 - 02:05 PM

Thanks for the response, but I don't think that is the answer with IE.
There doesn't appear to be an option for getting more search engines. There is a customize button which allows you to choose from a number of different set-ups, including using more than one search engine at a time, or just using one. Also there are quite a few you can choose from, just about all I can think of... but no Google. You can, however, choose Google as a search engine in the address bar.

#4 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 AM

Posted 29 September 2007 - 03:25 PM

Okay, with IE7 have you tried clicking on Find More Providers from the drop down box?

It allows you to choose a search provider from a drop-down list (MSN is the default search engine) and lets you add new providers to the list. Google included.
Add Search Providers to Internet Explorer 7.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#5 RedDwarf

RedDwarf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2007 - 08:15 PM

I am sorry I didn't think to include this info before, but I only have IE6 and cannot upgrade. I followed that link you posted but obviously it wouldn't work for me as it was for IE7.
Really do appreciate the help and any more ideas you might have.
Its not the end of the world if I don't get it but I would REALLY like it the way it was 2 days ago. The annoying thing is that I must have done it by accident in the first place as I never actually set out to do it on purpose!

#6 RedDwarf

RedDwarf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2007 - 08:41 PM

WAHOO!! I have done it! I can believe after spending literally hours farting around trying to figure it out, I stumble upon the answer by accident. Obviously the same accident I had a couple of years ago.
Right after my last post I thought if I couldn't have Google in the search companion, I would give the Google Toolbar a go. Would you believe an unexpected side effect of doing this was to change the search companion to Google as well!!! Yee ha! Seeing as I didn't really want the toolbar, I un-installed it and and Google stayed in the search companion!!
A little convoluted but got the desired result. Why they don't just include it in the list of coices in preferences is beyond me as you can choose it as the preferred when searching from the address bar!
Anyway, thanks for the help TMacK.

Edited by RedDwarf, 29 September 2007 - 08:42 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users