Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Downloading Files Or Programs

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 PM

Posted 29 September 2007 - 03:53 AM

Hi all, i have a problem downloading program files off sites like znet or the microsoft site and others,,, the download gets to around 35%- 50% then stops, it just sits there and stays on what it stopped at like its frozen or timed out. I did not have this problem a couple of weeks ago every thing was ok. I switched the firewall off and tryed but no joy there, it still stops. I use a netgear adsl firewall router to connect but this seems ok as i have another pc connected to the router & all is ok plus i can still go online & browse and read my emails, so i dont think its a connection problem, i also scan my comp regulary with avast & Super Anti Spyeware Pro & found nothing. There is not much clutter on the hard drive as i also use ccleaner and the hard drive is about 1 month old as i had to install a new one and reinstall the os,,, every thing works fine appart from this new download problem
Thanks all & here are some pc specs,,,,,,, Ian
os,,, win xp home,, sp2
security,,, avast,,, SAS pro,,, firewall built in to router
fijitsu seamans scalio p
pentium 4 HT 4.3GHz
1GIG SDRAM 4200
250GIG sata hard drive
Netgear DG834 ADSL Firewall Router
Figgis,,,, LUFC

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 AM

Posted 29 September 2007 - 12:13 PM

By way of testing I would do the following.

1 > test using another browser. If you are currently just using IE -- test with Firefox or Opera. Make sure you are downloading to a specific location -- such as the desktop. The file should appear even if not fully downloaded. Determine whether the problem is related to the size of the download.

2 > test using another User Account. You can temporarily enable the "Guest" account in Control Panel > User Accounts for this.

3 > test doing a "clean boot":

Run msconfig and select the "Services" tab. Check "Hide Microsoft Services" and then disable the rest. Also uncheck "load startup group" on the general page.

See this link for detailed information:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;EN-US;310353
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Now restart and test the issue at hand

If no problems, run msconfig and recheck half the disabled items on the Services tab. Test again. If the problem recurs, UNcheck half the items you just checked to narrow down the culprit.

If the problem didn't occur, check the other half, so all the Services are enabled -- proceed to do this on the startup tab as well.

Get the idea? You want to isolate the problem to a specific startup if possible.

Note: if you already have items unchecked under msconfig > startups and are in "selective" startup mode ‚€œ you should note what these are before beginning. They will need to be de-selected again.

4 > Finally, you could try doing a system restore to a date prior to the problem -- this tends to resolve most issues that are not hardware or User Profile related. They can be undone if not helpful.

Edited by Rollin' Rog, 29 September 2007 - 12:16 PM.

Microsoft MVP Shell/User

#3 figgis41

figgis41
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2007 - 12:44 PM

Hi Rog, i have used firefox & ie7 and the same thing happens, i always download to the desktop befor install, and i've noticed it only happens with large files above about 8meg & usally when downloading a installer driver for a program. As i sed about it not happening about a week ago or so i dont think a service is causing the prob as i have not changed anything in services & will do what you surgest if nothing better is mentioned, a system restor is a bit dificult as i dont realy know a specific date of when the problem started, also i only installed the new hard drive about a month ago or so, the restor will be trial and error,,,, lol
Thanks for your help so far and im open to ideas,,,,,,, Ian

Just as an after thought, how come i cant use any of the smile's or change the text size or colour or any of the other goodies on this site,,,, it all comes up like >>>>>>>>> >>>>> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/sty...ult/thumbup.gif
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/sty...ult/thumbup.gif <<<<<< this is a smiley & a text size change ??????????????
Figgis,,,, LUFC

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,418 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 AM

Posted 29 September 2007 - 02:42 PM

I would also check for errors that might be related...in Event Viewer.

Microsoft Windows XP - Using Event Viewer - http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documen...r.mspx?mfr=true

Louis

#5 WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• Members
  • 265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 AM

Posted 29 September 2007 - 04:39 PM

Great intructions, Rollin' Rog ! :thumbsup:

#6 Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 AM

Posted 29 September 2007 - 08:29 PM

Well if there is something "file type" specific about the issue I would start to suspect an antivirus or other security program might be intercepting the file and having some issue with it.

The "clean boot" instructions if followed thoroughly should, while you are in it, not load any antivirus or other 3rd party programs.

Not sure what's up with your problem here -- usuallty similar such issues have a "javascript" component to them -- so make sure you have that enabled. It's easy to disable with some browsers and then forget you've done it.

"Wincrazy" -- thanks for the good word :thumbsup:
Microsoft MVP Shell/User

#7 figgis41

figgis41
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2007 - 03:35 AM

Hi all, Rolling Rog thankyou for your help with my problem, it's much appreciated, the prob seems to have gone after i did a disc check for errors on start up then tryed to download some programs off cnet, 2 about 15meg and a couple of about 25-30meg & all was ok,,,, once again thanks for your clear & prompt help,,,,,,,,
Regards ,,,,,, Ian

Edited by figgis41, 30 September 2007 - 03:40 AM.

Figgis,,,, LUFC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users