Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Stubborn File

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 BruceFullerton

BruceFullerton

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 PM

Posted 29 September 2007 - 12:42 AM

I have an .avi file which Vista will not delete (this file is a result of a power failure while in the middle of a format conversion)
When I try to delete the Vista delete message box comes up with
"Deleting 1 item (15.7mb)
Calculating time....."
This box stays up forever and nothing else happens. I can however cancel out.
I cannot delete with delete, shift delete, I cannot rename or move the file.
I have tried a command line : "del/f/a c:\Path to filename" but does not delete it.
I found a "KillBox" program which did delete it, BUT it created a backup file in a special folder (I can't find an option to delete without a backup)... this still leaves me with the problem because I can't delete the backup file!
Any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MilesAhead

MilesAhead

• Members
  • 197 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 AM

Posted 29 September 2007 - 11:40 AM

You could try Unlocker. Often Explorer hangs onto a file and won't let you do anything to it. Even if Unlocker tells you it can't find any locking handles on the file it has an option to delete during next reboot. That usually gets rid of these annoyances.

Unlocker

"I don't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member."
- Groucho Marx

#3 BruceFullerton

BruceFullerton
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 PM

Posted 29 September 2007 - 03:56 PM

Thanks, I tried Unlocker but it caused a fatal system crash when I ran it on this file!

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2007 - 04:53 PM

This sort of behavior is suspicious, and may point to a malware infection. I'd suggest running these free, online scans to check your system:
http://safety.live.com
http://housecall.trendmicro.com
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 MilesAhead

MilesAhead

• Members
  • 197 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2007 - 05:44 PM

Thanks, I tried Unlocker but it caused a fatal system crash when I ran it on this file!

Don't know what else to suggest in this instance. If you are running Vista without a UPS I'd go pick one up right away. Anything after MSDOS will get hosed by a power out.

"I don't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member."
- Groucho Marx

#6 ^MavericK!

^MavericK!

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 AM

Posted 02 October 2007 - 05:09 PM

I remember this was a bug in XP, I got it and remeber deleting/modifying a certain registry key and this will fix it. It was windows explorer trying to read the file that was using it and will not permit the delete, if I'm not mistaken.

I'm trying to get a reference of this and only could find this, Old and on a different OS, but could be a bug xfered to Vista from XP.

Try going to the taskmanager and stoping both explorer processes, and deleting the file then, maybe that could do it.

I hope someone else can confirm the registry entity to be deleted. You can always try, but remembet to backup everything before going to regedit.

Mav

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users