Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Admin Restrictions Out Of Nowhere

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

#1 AJR3

AJR3

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 PM

Posted 28 September 2007 - 11:39 PM

Hi,

I have my own laptop that no one else uses. On this laptop, there is only one "user" profile which is the Admin and is password protected. Suddenly, out of the blue, while I was logged on as this user, I found that several "features" (such as "properties", "control panel", "regedit", "taskmanager", ect.) where now considered restricted and I can no longer access them. When I right click on my desktop, and click properties, I get an error message saying that that operation is restricted and to contact my admin for help. The only problem is that I am the Administrator for my system/computer, and I never set up any restrictions or access policies. The kind of things that are blocked are very similar to the kind of things that are blocked at my high school on the school computers.

I did manage to get my taskmanager running again by typing in a specific command in the "RUN" prompt.

Along with my admin restrictions, I think that I have adware/malware and that they may have caused it.

Any advise would be appreciated,
~AJR3

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 trevorveasey

trevorveasey

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 PM

Posted 28 September 2007 - 11:48 PM

If you suspect you have malware/spyware, please post a HiJackThis log in the HiJackThis forum.
Trevor

#3 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 PM

Posted 29 September 2007 - 12:26 AM

Follow the directions in the Preparation Guide for use Before Posting a Hijack This log. In many cases this can cure your problem.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,769 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2007 - 07:08 AM

Download RatsCheddar.zip and save it to your desktop. It is a Policy Controller program written by Rathat to remove certain restrictions on XP systems often disabled by malware.
  • Extract (unzip) the file to the desktop. (Click here for information on how to do this if not sure.)
  • Double-click on RatsCheddar.exe to launch the tool.
  • Select Enable for everything listed, then click Exit.
  • Restart your computer.
Warning: This program was developed for Windows XP ONLY. Do not run this program in any other Operating System.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 AJR3

AJR3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2007 - 10:44 AM

Hi,

Though personally I think that my restrictions are due to infection, the first time that I started my computer and noticed this issue was at my High School. I am slightly suspicious that the restrictions set up on their network could have something to do with this. I only think this because every one of the school computers are blocking the same functions that are now blocked on my computer, but I have no idea how this could have come to be since the only thing that could possibly connect me to their network is the wireless internet access.

quietman7, my computer runs Windows XP Home Version 2002 SP2. Is RatsCheddar specifically made for a certain version of XP like only professional or only a specific year of XP Home?

Thank you for your help,
~AJR3

#6 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• Members
  • 12,944 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2007 - 11:41 AM

The kind of things that are blocked are very similar to the kind of things that are blocked at my high school on the school computers.

You are probably correct in your thoughts. I work for a school district and we do the same thing. Any computer that connects to our network is subject to restrictions applied to our computers. I would follow Quietman7's advise to clear the restrictions.

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#7 AJR3

AJR3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2007 - 11:51 AM

I only connect to the internet through a wireless connection. Would the school network still be able to put restrictions on my computer just from that?

Also, I just tried RatsCheddar, and it didn't appear to work. Is there any other way to access admin options? I am able to use the RUN prompt and the Command Prompt as those were never blocked, but the Control Panel is blocked.

Edited by AJR3, 29 September 2007 - 12:00 PM.

#8 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 PM

Posted 29 September 2007 - 12:50 PM

AJR3,

I see you have an open HJT log posted in the HijackThis Logs and Malware Removal forum.
You shouldn't make any changes to your system, while your HJT log is posted, as that could change the results of the posted log, making it difficult to properly clean your system.

At this point, the HJT Team should be the only members that you take advice from, until they have verified your log as clean.

I'm closing this topic until you are cleared by the HJT Team.
If, after your log has been cleaned, you still need help, please PM a Moderator and we will re-open this topic.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to send me a PM.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users