Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help Setting Up My Router And My Laptop

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Sarah8503

Sarah8503

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 AM

Posted 28 September 2007 - 10:45 PM

I just need help setting up my wireless router to my laptop. Could someone please help me with that.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Crizz44

Crizz44

• Members
  • 496 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2007 - 11:59 PM

Hi Sarah8503,

Could you give us some more information? What kind of setup do you have? Do you have a modem and router connected to a desktop and you are trying to connect a wireless laptop to an existing setup? Or did you just buy the router and you need to connect it to your modem? What is the make and model of the router you purchased?

#3 Sarah8503

Sarah8503
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2007 - 12:05 AM

right not i have a router a laptop and a dsl modem. The DSL modem is currently connected to the laptop and the router is sitting here, unplugged because i have no idea how to set it up. I am trying to set up the wireless connection on my laptop. The router is a linksys, that's about all I know.

#4 Crizz44

Crizz44

• Members
  • 496 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2007 - 12:25 AM

Did you get a setup disc with your router? If you have DSL and your provider requires a user name and password you will need them to set this up. You will need to set it up as a wired connection first. You will disconnect from the internet during setup.
1)You should have a NIC cable connection from your computer to your Modem, pull out the connection from the back of your computer and place it in the "Internet" connection on the back of the Linksys.

2)Then you will need a second NIC cable, run it from the back of your computer to either port 1, 2,3 or 4 on the Linksys

3)Its best to shut down your computer. Unplug your power to your modem and Linksys, wait for 1 minute, plug in the modems power first, then wait another minute and plug in the Linksys power, wait about 30 seconds and then turn on your computer.

4)After it boots, use your cd and setup the router wired first. Write back if you have any problems with this. Then we can set up the wireless.

#5 Sarah8503

Sarah8503
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2007 - 12:28 AM

okay, when you say computer - do you mean the laptop, or an actual desktop?

#6 Crizz44

Crizz44

• Members
  • 496 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2007 - 12:39 AM

Is your dsl connected to your desktop, I didn't think you had a desktop

Also if you have any problems setting up the router and need to get back online.
Disconnect the Linksys, you will have the NIC cable running from your computer to the DSL modem only.
Turn off your computer. Disconnect the power to the modem. Wait 30 sec, plug the modem power back in
wait 1 min. then turn on your computer and you should be connected with the DSL modem again without the router
Be sure you do not reset your dsl modem, its the red button you push in, in the back of your dsl, this will lose your dsl settings.

#7 Crizz44

Crizz44

• Members
  • 496 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2007 - 12:48 AM

If your dsl modem is connected to a desktop then you will set up the router with the desktop. If you only have the laptop and your dsl is connected to your laptop, then you will connect it to the laptop.

I have to run for tonight, but will check back in tomorrow.

#8 Sarah8503

Sarah8503
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2007 - 10:57 PM

okay, i have the wired connection set up. what's next?

#9 Crizz44

Crizz44

• Members
  • 496 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2007 - 12:18 AM

Go to "Start" then "Run" and type in http://192.168.1.1 and then hit "enter"

this will bring up a box asking for a user name and password the default for Linksys is

user name is "Admin" and Password is "Admin" if this doesn't work, you may have an older version then:

Leave the user blank and put in the password "Admin".

Once your Linksys setup comes up, you should see a Wireless tab at the top, select it.

(Some models have a different setup so if yours looks different I will need your model #.)

Under Basic wireless settings you should use

Wireless Network Mode: Mixed (unless you know if all hardware will be "G")
Wireless Network Name (SSID): Linksys

you can change the SSID to something you can recognize, all Linksys routers use the default
"Linksys", this will show up when your laptop is searching for a router.

Then hit "SAVE SETTINGS", continue

then under that tab you will see faint settings look for "Wireless Securtiy" select the arrow by the

Security Mode and select "WEP" more options will open.

You should see "64 bits 10 hex digits" by encryption, leave that

Where it says "Passphrase", type in a word or name you will remember and select "Generate", this will put a code in KEY 1

record that Key in a safe place, this will secure your wireless. Hit "SAVE SETTINGS"

Then you can just close the page by the X

Disconnect your laptop from the router and search for wireless connections when you recognize yours and tell it to connect a box will come up asking for the KEY code you generated, you will have to put it in 2 times usually, then hit connect and it should connect.

If anything is unclear let me know.

#10 Sarah8503

Sarah8503
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2007 - 12:53 AM

thank you. everything is set up and running! it was easier to do, then I thought.

#11 Crizz44

Crizz44

• Members
  • 496 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2007 - 02:32 PM

Your welcome :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users