Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slight Memory Problem/question

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 chrismo

chrismo

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 AM

Posted 28 September 2007 - 09:49 PM

when i bootup and go into the system settings or setup or w/e in the world its called (f2 during bootup), i have a recognized 4 gb of ram. however, when i get to the desktop vista only recognizes 3 gb under my computer. i ran some quick little memory program called viewmem and it showed the memory for dimm's 1-3, but didnt show dimm 4. im new with vista so i dont know if this is normal or what...ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 chrismo

chrismo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2007 - 10:43 AM

nobody know????

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,072 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 AM

Posted 29 September 2007 - 04:51 PM

I have 4 gB on 2 computers at home (I'm on the road right now) - and Windows (either XP or Vista) will only recognize 3.26 gB. But, if your system is only recognizing 3.00 gB there's likely to be an issue with the last DIMM. Try running the built-in memory diagnostic (or this free one: http://www.memtest86.com/ ) to see if there's an issue with the last stick or the last slot.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 chrismo

chrismo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2007 - 08:57 PM

i ran the built in memory test on the extended settings, and it freezes up at 21% everytime. after a half hour of sitting on 21%, i restarted the test, and got the same results. not sure if this helps.

Edited by chrismo, 29 September 2007 - 09:15 PM.

#5 chrismo

chrismo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2007 - 11:51 PM

i downloaded and ran the tool you recommended, after 2 passes there were no errors. that program also recognized 4 gb of ram, but once again, vista only shows 3070

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,072 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2007 - 07:01 AM

I'd suspect that the last slot is bad.

Try running the tests with the last DIMM slot empty - if the Windows test completes, then you've got more evidence that it may be the slot.

Then try running the tests with a different DIMM in that slot (since you know it's good from the previous tests) - if it still passes, then it is the DIMM slot that's bad. Stay with the Windows test since it's more "finicky" than the MemTest.

Try cleaning the DIMM slot out (gently) with compressed air and maybe evan a piece of paper (use magnification to make sure all is well in the slot before you try it again).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 chrismo

chrismo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2007 - 09:24 PM

generally i would agree with that idea. the problem is, when i was leaving only 2 gb of ram in the machine, all the slots worked. the 2gb (dual channel) was read in 1 and 2, then i restarted, and it was also read in dimms 3 and 4. it can read only 3 gb with any combination of dimms as well, it just wont go above this for some reason. plus the fact that the system setup is reading all 4 gb pre-vista loading kinda suggests that the ram is being acknowledged.

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,072 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2007 - 09:31 PM

I'd suggest asking the manufacturer of the motherboard for clarification if you're sure that the slots and memory are good.

#9 Crizz44

Crizz44

• Members
  • 496 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2007 - 09:48 PM

Hi Chrismo,

What is the make and model number of your system?

#10 chrismo

chrismo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2007 - 11:14 PM

nevermind problem is solved. basically, because of a few of my devices (256 mb graphics card and such) my windows allocates memory. vista does this anyway and the amount varies due to your machines specs. im sure everybody knew this but i was just making sure. sorry for wastin everybodys time but hey, at least i learned something :D http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929605

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users