Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xp And Asian Language Install

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 lucecaboose

lucecaboose

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 PM

Posted 28 September 2007 - 09:44 PM

I am trying to install the files for Asian languages.

I went into Control Panel, then chose Regional and Language Options. I chose the Languages tab and clicked on the box in front of Install files for East Asian Languages. A box pops up telling me that I will need 230MB free. I clicked OK. Then I clicked OK again to begin copying the files.

When it can't find the first file, it popped up a box that says it needs the XP CD-ROM. (I first look for the file on my hard drive but it is not there.) I put in the Windows XP CD. It still can't find the file. I look in the contents of the CD. There is a file that is similar. The last character is an underscore instead of the letter. I copy this file to my hard drive, rename it, and it takes the file.

Now it can't find the next file. This file doesn't exist at all on the CD or on my hard drive. I google the file and it says that it is an XP SP2 file. Now I think I know what the problem is.

XP was installed on this PC before SP2 was available. My PC has SP2 because it was updated way back when. But I do not have the SP2 CD.

So, how do I install these files? Eventually, I have to have the Chinese language option installed on this PC, but this is the first step. Where do I get the files necessary? It isn't like I don't have the CD...I do. It just doesn't have these files.

Please help. Thank you very much.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pip22

pip22

• Banned
  • 341 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 AM

Posted 29 September 2007 - 08:56 AM

If I understand you correctly, SP2 has been installed at some earlier time but it seems that Windows now needs some more files off the SP2 CD that were not installed with the earlier SP2 update. If that is the case, you can get an SP2 update CD from Microsoft here (the CD is free but there might be a charge for packing and postage): http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloa...us/default.mspx

However, it could be that Windows is asking for the retail "Windows XP with SP2" CD which you don't have and which has to be purchased, though it's now difficult to find as the stores are phasing out XP to make way for Vista. You may be able to borrow one from a friend just to get your language files installed. That's quite legal because you won't be using it to install Windows, all you need are some language support files from it.

Edited by pip22, 29 September 2007 - 09:02 AM.

#3 skoolyardpunk

skoolyardpunk

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2007 - 02:19 PM

I'm having the same issue. I had just received the sp2 update today and immediately installed. But when installing asian languages, it now asks for the windows xp home cd, which i never EVER received because the computer simply came with xp sp2 installed on it. Ugh. what the hell, microsoft... :thumbsup:

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2007 - 02:53 PM

There is a nominal charge for the SP2 CD now. If you have the old pre-SP2 XP CD you can slipstream the service pack onto the disk
http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windo..._sp2_slipstream
Mark

Edited by garmanma, 27 October 2007 - 02:53 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 skoolyardpunk

skoolyardpunk

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2007 - 12:29 PM

well the main problem people have is the installation, for some reason, needing Windows XP Home/Pro or SP2, when they only have one, or neither. But i finally got it to work yesterday, after hours of searching and downloading some 190 files that Microsoft didn't provide for me. This is usually the problem with people who get computers with the OS already installed. Sometimes the lang. files are missing, so in this case, you should either just borrow a friend's CD, or find the files yourself.

#6 bicycle bill

bicycle bill

• Banned
  • 339 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2007 - 07:55 PM

I installed the East Asian language pack and did not have to have a Windows CD on my PC running XP by following the directions at this link.

http://newton.uor.edu/Departments&Prog...llation_XP.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users