Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem With Live Discs

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Coombes

Coombes

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:18 AM

Posted 28 September 2007 - 07:43 PM

I have a problem with live discs that when i try to boot from them it loads everything then gives me a black screen.

e.g. with ubuntu it gets past the screen with the orange loading bar, then gives me a black screen.

I have left this black screen run for about 20mins with no change.

any ideas anyone?

Cheers,
Coombes

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Joedude

Joedude

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:18 AM

Posted 29 September 2007 - 04:14 AM

Have you tried the text install?

What are your system specs?
If someone tells you to su rm -rf /
DON'T DO IT!!!!
Be in the know, Bash smart!

#3 Bugballou

Bugballou

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 AM

Posted 18 October 2007 - 09:22 AM

I am having the same problem. Had on board graphics here, then installed a PCI graphics card that works well enough with Windows. Have 32 bit graphics now instead of 24 bit. The reason I upgraded was the on board Intel® 82810E Graphics Controller was unstable with Windows and Linux after an upgrade of RAM to 512MB. I disabled the on board graphics in Windows Device Manager, but can no longer boot Linux Live CD distros or the installed version of PCLOS. I may try an uninstall of the onboard graphics in device manager, but I believe that won't work either, and then Windows will detect new hardware after boot and want to install the drivers for it. I have tried different boot methods (nopcmcia, acpi=off) with no luck. I also had no sound after the addition of a sound card on a separate desktop, and PCLOS didn't detect the sound card was there. Hope I can work this out, or will only have the Luxury of Linux on the laptop.
Bug

Edited by Bugballou, 18 October 2007 - 09:23 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users