Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot Remove Desktop Icon

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
10 replies to this topic

#1 galen

galen

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 PM

Posted 28 September 2007 - 06:51 PM

Hi

I am running Windows XP Home SP2. I have an icon on my desktop that refuses to be deleted - it is called "Sony Ericsson File Manager" installed with my Sony Ericsson PC Suite as a necessary feature for transferring files via USB between my phone and my laptop.

When I right-click on it, there is no option to delete.
When I drag it into the recycle bin, or when I select it and hit 'delete', nothing happens
When I run desktop cleanup wizard, Windows says "Cannot move file: the name you specified is not valid or too long. Specify a different file name".

Thanks in advance for any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zbd

zbd

• Members
  • 390 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2007 - 07:10 PM

Have you tried deleting while in safe mode?
Tap F8 key when booting up.

Might help to run some malware programs:

http://www.majorgeeks.com/AVG_Anti-Spyware_d5287.html
http://www.majorgeeks.com/SpyBot-Search_&a...troy_d2471.html

Edited by zbd, 28 September 2007 - 07:18 PM.

#3 galen

galen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2007 - 05:40 AM

Thanks for the reply. I have scanned my computer with Spybot, Ad-aware, McAffee Stinger, and now your recommended AVG linked program. I didn't think this would help anyway because this is not malware - I installed the software myself.

I also tried deleting it in safe mode in the three ways already described, but that yielded exactly the same results as before. Thanks again for the help.

Any other ideas?

#4 lost_case

lost_case

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 AM

Posted 29 September 2007 - 05:56 AM

When I run desktop cleanup wizard, Windows says "Cannot move file: the name you specified is not valid or too long. Specify a different file name".

Hi galen!
I had the same problem! Try to rename the file, or the file extension, and then again run desktop cleanup wizard!
Hope it will work. :thumbsup:
People live to learn, and learn to live...

#5 galen

galen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2007 - 06:17 AM

Thanks lost_case. I tried renaming the file "Test", and also "Test.txt" (although I didn't seem to be changing the file extension by doing this). The desktop cleanup wizard gives the same errors.

Incidentally, I thought I'd see what type of file it was... but on right-clicking there is no option for "Properties". Maybe this is a sort of system file, and the icon has rather to be hidden than deleted?

#6 tswsl1989

tswsl1989

• Members
  • 260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 AM

Posted 29 September 2007 - 06:48 AM

Try this:

Start -> Run

Type "Cmd.exe"

OK

Should get a window that says:
Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\<<username>>>

Type: "cd Desktop"
**Type: "dir /p"

Look for a line that contains the current name of the icon. If you see it, type "erase <<filename>>" where <<filename>> is the icon name.

If you don't see a line for the icon, type: "cd "..\..\All Users\Desktop"", and try again from the line marked **

If you get an error message displayed after the "erase" part, post it back on here with the full name of the file that you get displayed in the dir listing.

Hope that makes sense.
Tom

Tswsl1989
Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together

#7 galen

galen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2007 - 07:01 AM

Ok I tried the dir /p command in both my profile and the All Users profile, but did not see that icon filename. [My desktop only has the aforementioned icon and the Recycle Bin on it.]

I have posted the text from the command prompt in case you can glean anything from it. Thanks.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
© Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Galen>cd desktop

C:\Documents and Settings\Galen\Desktop>dir /p
Volume in drive C has no label.
Volume Serial Number is B043-DF50

Directory of C:\Documents and Settings\Galen\Desktop

12/25/2006 12:21 AM <DIR> .
12/25/2006 12:21 AM <DIR> ..
0 File(s) 0 bytes
2 Dir(s) 6,362,972,160 bytes free

C:\Documents and Settings\Galen\Desktop>cd C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\D
esktop

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Desktop>dir /p
Volume in drive C has no label.
Volume Serial Number is B043-DF50

Directory of C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Desktop

10/28/2006 02:22 AM <DIR> .
10/28/2006 02:22 AM <DIR> ..
0 File(s) 0 bytes
2 Dir(s) 6,362,972,160 bytes free

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Desktop>

#8 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 AM

Posted 29 September 2007 - 07:47 AM

It's a registry edit, so all the normal warnings apply.
http://www.howardforums.com Very good forum for anything to do with mobile phones

This link shows file associated with the program

Mark
http://www.fbmsoftware.com/spyware-net/App...n_File_Manager/
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#9 galen

galen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2007 - 07:59 AM

Wow, great stuff Mark. That's it all right. But I'm not computer literate enough to know about registry entries - all I know is that playing around with them is a risky business.

Maybe there's a resource you can point me to as to what I should know before trying anything? i.e. what those "normal warnings are"?

#10 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 AM

Posted 29 September 2007 - 08:41 AM

Wow, great stuff Mark. That's it all right. But I'm not computer literate enough to know about registry entries - all I know is that playing around with them is a risky business.

Maybe there's a resource you can point me to as to what I should know before trying anything? i.e. what those "normal warnings are"?

Here you go It's simple to do you just have to be careful you don't delete the wrong thing. backing up the registry is recommended before making changes
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322755
a simple explanation
I know we also have a guide on the site on how to do it, I just haven't learned where everything is yet
Mark

Edited by garmanma, 29 September 2007 - 08:48 AM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#11 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 PM

Posted 29 September 2007 - 11:31 AM

Hi galen,

Now that you have a HJT log posted in the HijackThis Logs and Malware Removal forum, you shouldn't make any changes to your system.
Doing so, could change the results of the posted log, making it difficult to properly clean your system.

At this point, the HJT Team should be the only members that you take advice from, until they have verified your log as clean.

This topic will now be closed, since you have an open log posted.
If you have any questions, feel free to send me a PM.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users