Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Show Hidden Files And Folders?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 galen

galen

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 AM

Posted 28 September 2007 - 06:39 PM

Hi

I wasn't sure whether this was a general Windows problem, or a possible malware. I'm guessing the latter:

I am a student at University, and about two days ago when logging onto a PC in the labs, I noticed a folder called 'desktop.exe' on the desktop (a folder, not an executable). I didn't bother with it, except to notice that it looked odd, and I plugged in my flash drive. Windows recognized and labeled it as the H drive. I had My Computer open and was browsing through my files, when I noticed a folder was generated in the root directory of my flash drive, called "H.exe". Unfortunately I was in too much of a rush to consider it, and the folder disappeared (it was probably set to 'hidden').

I immediately thought my flash was infected with someone's homemade malware, but I had no choice other than to plug it into my laptop at home to do some work. I had almost forgotten about the problem, until I tried viewing hidden files and folders and found the "Show hidden files and folders" option remained unchecked no matter how many times I repeated its selection. Incidentally, on reading your tutorial http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-see-hidden-files-in-windows/, I found that "Hide protected operating system files" also does not remain unchecked when I select it.

I have no problem other than the irritation of not being able to see my hidden files/folders. I have not noticed any folder called "C.exe" or such like on my laptop, though I haven't known what to search for anyway. My question is twofold: (1) how to fix this problem on my laptop, and (2) how to clean my flash drive without it reinfecting anything (I have since stopped using my flash drive). Clearly I shouldn't plug any other flash drives into my computer, as the malware will probably spread (if it is indeed malware). I suspect some program has infected my flash drive and copied itself onto my laptop, and then hidden itself and prevented me from finding it through disallowing the 'show hidden files and folders' option.

Another symptom I have noticed is that when opening My Computer, double-clicking on the C drive doesn't open the folder within the same window (the way it does for all other folders on my laptop and the way I have always had it set up). When opening either of my hard drives (C or D), I get a pop-up from Norton saying that "iexplorer.exe is attempting to access the internet", and each time I block the program.

On reading some forum topics I have seen a lot of talk about the Windows registry. Unforunately I don't know enough to feel comfortable playing around with this on my own. I have followed the guidelines in posting a new topic (including Spybot, Ad-aware, McAffee), although 'Trend Micro Housecall' would not load up for some reason. Also, my Norton Antivirus is out of date by a few months.

I'd really appreciate any help in this regard, because not being able to transfer files from home to Uni is going to be a huge inconvenience!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is my HiJackThis log file:

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 10:06:20 PM, on 9/28/2007
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6000.16512)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\EvtEng.exe
C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\S24EvMon.exe
c:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccProxy.exe
c:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
c:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\ISSVC.exe
c:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
c:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SPBBC\SPBBCSvc.exe
c:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Symantec\LiveUpdate\ALUSchedulerSvc.exe
c:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\HPZipm12.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\RegSrvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wscntfy.exe
C:\WINDOWS\ATK0100\HControl.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxtray.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\hkcmd.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxpers.exe
C:\WINDOWS\stsystra.exe
C:\WINDOWS\sm56hlpr.exe
C:\Program Files\ASUS\ASUS Live Update\ALU.exe
C:\Program Files\Wireless Console 2\wcourier.exe
C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe
C:\Program Files\ASUSTeK\ASUSDVD\PDVDServ.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
C:\Program Files\ASUS\Power4 Gear\BatteryLife.exe
C:\Program Files\ASUS\Splendid\ACMON.exe
C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\bin\ZCfgSvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ACEngSvr.exe
C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\ifrmewrk.exe
C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\EOUWiz.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_02\bin\jusched.exe
C:\WINDOWS\ATK0100\ATKOSD.exe
C:\Program Files\HP\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd2.exe
C:\Program Files\Sony Ericsson\Mobile2\Application Launcher\Application Launcher.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Skype\Plugins\Plugins\1163D2B46CC742E5A3CC9E4157887751\TalkAndWrite.exe
C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\MsnMsgr.Exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Teleca Shared\CapabilityManager.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Intel\Wireless\Bin\Dot1XCfg.exe
C:\Program Files\Skype\Phone\Skype.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\acovcnt.exe
C:\Program Files\Skype\Plugin Manager\skypePM.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Teleca Shared\Generic.exe
C:\Program Files\Sony Ericsson\Mobile2\Mobile Phone Monitor\epmworker.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
c:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\AdBlocking\NSMdtr.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.gmail.com/
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_02\bin\ssv.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {7E853D72-626A-48EC-A868-BA8D5E23E045} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: Windows Live Sign-in Helper - {9030D464-4C02-4ABF-8ECC-5164760863C6} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live\WindowsLiveLogin.dll
O2 - BHO: Norton Internet Security - {9ECB9560-04F9-4bbc-943D-298DDF1699E1} - c:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\AdBlocking\NISShExt.dll
O2 - BHO: NAV Helper - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - c:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Norton Internet Security - {0B53EAC3-8D69-4b9e-9B19-A37C9A5676A7} - c:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\AdBlocking\NISShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - c:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HControl] C:\WINDOWS\ATK0100\HControl.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [igfxtray] C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxtray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [igfxhkcmd] C:\WINDOWS\system32\hkcmd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [igfxpers] C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxpers.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SigmatelSysTrayApp] stsystra.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SMSERIAL] C:\WINDOWS\sm56hlpr.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ASUS Live Update] C:\Program Files\ASUS\ASUS Live Update\ALU.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Wireless Console 2] C:\Program Files\Wireless Console 2\wcourier.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SynTPEnh] C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ABLKSR] C:\WINDOWS\ABLKSR\ABLKSR.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RemoteControl] "C:\Program Files\ASUSTeK\ASUSDVD\PDVDServ.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroFilterCheck] C:\WINDOWS\system32\NeroCheck.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "c:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Power_Gear] C:\Program Files\ASUS\Power4 Gear\BatteryLife.exe 1
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ACMON] C:\Program Files\ASUS\Splendid\ACMON.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IntelZeroConfig] "C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\bin\ZCfgSvc.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IntelWireless] "C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\ifrmewrk.exe" /tf Intel PROSet/Wireless
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [EOUApp] "C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\EOUWiz.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_02\bin\jusched.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Symantec NetDriver Monitor] C:\PROGRA~1\SYMNET~1\SNDMon.exe /Consumer
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HP Software Update] C:\Program Files\HP\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd2.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Sony Ericsson PC Suite] "C:\Program Files\Sony Ericsson\Mobile2\Application Launcher\Application Launcher.exe" /startoptions
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TalkAndWrite] C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Skype\Plugins\Plugins\1163D2B46CC742E5A3CC9E4157887751\TalkAndWrite.exe /run
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MsnMsgr] "C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\MsnMsgr.Exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [updateMgr] c:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\AdobeUpdateManager.exe AcRdB7_0_9
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Skype] "C:\Program Files\Skype\Phone\Skype.exe" /nosplash /minimized
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [avpa] C:\WINDOWS\system32\avpo.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_02\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_02\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O14 - IERESET.INF: START_PAGE_URL=http://www.asus.com
O16 - DPF: {5F8469B4-B055-49DD-83F7-62B522420ECC} (Facebook Photo Uploader Control) - http://upload.facebook.com/controls/Facebo...otoUploader.cab
O16 - DPF: {D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000} (Shockwave Flash Object) - http://fpdownload2.macromedia.com/get/shoc...ash/swflash.cab
O18 - Protocol: skype4com - {FFC8B962-9B40-4DFF-9458-1830C7DD7F5D} - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\Skype\SKYPE4~1.DLL
O23 - Service: Automatic LiveUpdate Scheduler - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Symantec\LiveUpdate\ALUSchedulerSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Event Manager (ccEvtMgr) - Symantec Corporation - c:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Network Proxy (ccProxy) - Symantec Corporation - c:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccProxy.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Password Validation (ccPwdSvc) - Symantec Corporation - c:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccPwdSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Settings Manager (ccSetMgr) - Symantec Corporation - c:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
O23 - Service: IntelŽ PROSet/Wireless Event Log (EvtEng) - Intel Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\EvtEng.exe
O23 - Service: ISSvc (ISSVC) - Symantec Corporation - c:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\ISSVC.exe
O23 - Service: LiveUpdate - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\Symantec\LIVEUP~1\LUCOMS~1.EXE
O23 - Service: Norton AntiVirus Auto-Protect Service (navapsvc) - Symantec Corporation - c:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Pml Driver HPZ12 - HP - C:\WINDOWS\system32\HPZipm12.exe
O23 - Service: IntelŽ PROSet/Wireless Registry Service (RegSrvc) - Intel Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\RegSrvc.exe
O23 - Service: IntelŽ PROSet/Wireless Service (S24EventMonitor) - Intel Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\S24EvMon.exe
O23 - Service: SAVScan - Symantec Corporation - c:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Norton AntiVirus\SAVScan.exe
O23 - Service: ScriptBlocking Service (SBService) - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\SYMANT~1\SCRIPT~1\SBServ.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Network Drivers Service (SNDSrvc) - Symantec Corporation - c:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec SPBBCSvc (SPBBCSvc) - Symantec Corporation - c:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SPBBC\SPBBCSvc.exe

--

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 galen

galen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2007 - 03:19 PM

Mod edit: New topic has been merged with the original. Please stick to the original topic--do not start a new topic after five days, rather just post a link to the one that is pending. PK

I have reason to believe this is a malware problem, not a general Windows problem.

I think I picked something up from my flash drive while at University. My hidden files and folders wont show when I tick the appropriate box (in folder options), and when I open my hard drives in My Computer, it opens them in a new window (which is odd) and tells me that "IEXPLORER.exe is attempting to access the internet".

I also cannot 'view operating and system files' because the box remains unchecked.

Please check out my log file below. I have done all the scans etc. in the guide-to-posting forum also. Thanks.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Scan saved at 10:12:11 PM, on 10/4/2007

Running processes:
C:\Program Files\Sony Ericsson\Mobile2\Application Launcher\Application Launcher.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Skype\Plugins\Plugins\1163D2B46CC742E5A3CC9E4157887751\TalkAndWrite.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live\WLLoginProxy.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.gmail.com/
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_02\bin\ssv.dll
O2 - BHO: Windows Live Sign-in Helper - {9030D464-4C02-4ABF-8ECC-5164760863C6} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live\WindowsLiveLogin.dll
O2 - BHO: Norton Internet Security - {9ECB9560-04F9-4bbc-943D-298DDF1699E1} - c:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\AdBlocking\NISShExt.dll
O2 - BHO: NAV Helper - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - c:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Norton Internet Security - {0B53EAC3-8D69-4b9e-9B19-A37C9A5676A7} - c:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\AdBlocking\NISShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - c:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ASUS Live Update] C:\Program Files\ASUS\ASUS Live Update\ALU.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Wireless Console 2] C:\Program Files\Wireless Console 2\wcourier.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RemoteControl] "C:\Program Files\ASUSTeK\ASUSDVD\PDVDServ.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "c:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Power_Gear] C:\Program Files\ASUS\Power4 Gear\BatteryLife.exe 1
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IntelZeroConfig] "C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\bin\ZCfgSvc.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IntelWireless] "C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\ifrmewrk.exe" /tf Intel PROSet/Wireless
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_02\bin\jusched.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Symantec NetDriver Monitor] C:\PROGRA~1\SYMNET~1\SNDMon.exe /Consumer
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HP Software Update] C:\Program Files\HP\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd2.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Sony Ericsson PC Suite] "C:\Program Files\Sony Ericsson\Mobile2\Application Launcher\Application Launcher.exe" /startoptions
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TalkAndWrite] C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Skype\Plugins\Plugins\1163D2B46CC742E5A3CC9E4157887751\TalkAndWrite.exe /run
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MsnMsgr] "C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\MsnMsgr.Exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [updateMgr] c:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\AdobeUpdateManager.exe AcRdB7_0_9
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Skype] "C:\Program Files\Skype\Phone\Skype.exe" /nosplash /minimized
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_02\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_02\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O16 - DPF: {5F8469B4-B055-49DD-83F7-62B522420ECC} (Facebook Photo Uploader Control) - http://upload.facebook.com/controls/Facebo...otoUploader.cab
O16 - DPF: {D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000} (Shockwave Flash Object) - http://fpdownload2.macromedia.com/get/shoc...ash/swflash.cab
O18 - Protocol: skype4com - {FFC8B962-9B40-4DFF-9458-1830C7DD7F5D} - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\Skype\SKYPE4~1.DLL
O23 - Service: Automatic LiveUpdate Scheduler - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Symantec\LiveUpdate\ALUSchedulerSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Event Manager (ccEvtMgr) - Symantec Corporation - c:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Network Proxy (ccProxy) - Symantec Corporation - c:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccProxy.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Password Validation (ccPwdSvc) - Symantec Corporation - c:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccPwdSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Settings Manager (ccSetMgr) - Symantec Corporation - c:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
O23 - Service: IntelŽ PROSet/Wireless Event Log (EvtEng) - Intel Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\EvtEng.exe
O23 - Service: ISSvc (ISSVC) - Symantec Corporation - c:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\ISSVC.exe
O23 - Service: LiveUpdate - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\Symantec\LIVEUP~1\LUCOMS~1.EXE
O23 - Service: Norton AntiVirus Auto-Protect Service (navapsvc) - Symantec Corporation - c:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
O23 - Service: IntelŽ PROSet/Wireless Registry Service (RegSrvc) - Intel Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\RegSrvc.exe
O23 - Service: IntelŽ PROSet/Wireless Service (S24EventMonitor) - Intel Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\S24EvMon.exe
O23 - Service: SAVScan - Symantec Corporation - c:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Norton AntiVirus\SAVScan.exe
O23 - Service: ScriptBlocking Service (SBService) - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\SYMANT~1\SCRIPT~1\SBServ.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Network Drivers Service (SNDSrvc) - Symantec Corporation - c:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec SPBBCSvc (SPBBCSvc) - Symantec Corporation - c:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SPBBC\SPBBCSvc.exe

--
End of file - 10559 bytes

Edited by Papakid, 04 October 2007 - 07:52 PM.

#3 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,504 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 PM

Posted 08 October 2007 - 11:30 AM

I see at least one infection.
  • Download Combofix to your desktop.

• Doubleclick combofix.exe

• Follow the prompts.
Don't click on the window while the fix is running, because that will cause your system to hang.

When finished, and after reboot if it asks for one, combofix will open again to gather the necessary information for the log. This may take a while so please be patient. When done, Combofix will close and a log should open called combofix.txt.

Post the contents of this log in your next reply along with a new hijackthislog.

Please do not post the ComboFix-quarantined-files.txt unless I ask you to.

#4 galen

galen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2007 - 12:55 PM

Thank you! '

Here is the ComboFix log:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ComboFix 07-10-08.3 - Galen 2007-10-08 19:49:34.1 - FAT32x86
Microsoft Windows XP Professional 5.1.2600.2.1252.1.1033.18.146 [GMT 2:00]
Running from: C:\Documents and Settings\Galen\Desktop\ComboFix.exe
* Created a new restore point

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((( Other Deletions )))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

C:\Autorun.inf
D:\Autorun.inf

((((((((((((((((((((((((( Files Created from 2007-09-08 to 2007-10-08 )))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

2007-10-08 19:48 51,200 --a------ C:\WINDOWS\NirCmd.exe
2007-09-29 12:03 <DIR> d-------- C:\WINDOWS\pss
2007-09-28 22:05 <DIR> d-------- C:\Program Files\Trend Micro
2007-09-27 23:31 86,148 -r-hs---- C:\WINDOWS\system32\avpo.exe
2007-09-27 23:31 86,148 -r-hs---- C:\ntde1ect.com
2007-09-27 23:31 27,896 -r-hs---- C:\WINDOWS\system32\avpo0.dll
2007-09-27 22:03 81,920 --a------ C:\WINDOWS\system32\emfxp.dll
2007-09-27 22:03 49,152 --a------ C:\WINDOWS\system32\unpdf.exe
2007-09-25 15:53 <DIR> d-------- C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application DataCatalog.LiveSubscribe

(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((( Find3M Report ))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
2007-10-08 19:20 45056 --a------ C:\WINDOWS\system32\acovcnt.exe
2007-09-07 17:24 --------- d-------- C:\Program Files\ApexDC++
2007-07-30 19:19 92504 --a------ C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache\cdm.dll
2007-07-30 19:19 92504 --a------ C:\WINDOWS\system32\cdm.dll
2007-07-30 19:19 549720 --a------ C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuapi.dll
2007-07-30 19:19 549720 --a------ C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache\wuapi.dll
2007-07-30 19:19 53080 --a------ C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
2007-07-30 19:19 53080 --a------ C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache\wuauclt.exe
2007-07-30 19:19 43352 --a------ C:\WINDOWS\system32\wups2.dll
2007-07-30 19:19 325976 --a------ C:\WINDOWS\system32\wucltui.dll
2007-07-30 19:19 325976 --a------ C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache\wucltui.dll
2007-07-30 19:19 203096 --a------ C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuweb.dll
2007-07-30 19:19 203096 --a------ C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache\wuweb.dll
2007-07-30 19:19 1712984 --a------ C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuaueng.dll
2007-07-30 19:19 1712984 --a------ C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache\wuaueng.dll
2007-07-30 19:18 33624 --a------ C:\WINDOWS\system32\wups.dll
2007-07-30 19:18 33624 --a------ C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache\wups.dll
2007-07-19 09:00 3583488 --a------ C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache\mshtml.dll
2007-07-13 01:31 765952 --a------ C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache\vgx.dll

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((( Reg Loading Points ))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
*Note* empty entries & legit default entries are not shown

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]
"HControl"="C:\WINDOWS\ATK0100\HControl.exe" [2006-04-17 05:24]
"igfxtray"="C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxtray.exe" [2006-02-06 19:39]
"igfxhkcmd"="C:\WINDOWS\system32\hkcmd.exe" [2006-02-06 19:36]
"igfxpers"="C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxpers.exe" [2006-02-06 19:40]
"SigmatelSysTrayApp"="stsystra.exe" [2006-02-13 04:23 C:\WINDOWS\STSYSTRA.EXE]
"SMSERIAL"="C:\WINDOWS\sm56hlpr.exe" [2006-03-21 09:54]
"ASUS Live Update"="C:\Program Files\ASUS\ASUS Live Update\ALU.exe" [2006-02-21 15:20]
"Wireless Console 2"="C:\Program Files\Wireless Console 2\wcourier.exe" [2005-10-17 17:09]
"SynTPEnh"="C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe" [2005-10-21 02:26]
"ABLKSR"="C:\WINDOWS\ABLKSR\ABLKSR.exe" [2006-01-02 21:14]
"RemoteControl"="C:\Program Files\ASUSTeK\ASUSDVD\PDVDServ.exe" [2004-11-02 20:24]
"NeroFilterCheck"="C:\WINDOWS\system32\NeroCheck.exe" [2001-07-09 11:50]
"ccApp"="c:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe" [2007-01-09 17:32]
"Power_Gear"="C:\Program Files\ASUS\Power4 Gear\BatteryLife.exe" [2006-03-14 17:46]
"ACMON"="C:\Program Files\ASUS\Splendid\ACMON.exe" [2006-02-21 19:36]
"IntelZeroConfig"="C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\bin\ZCfgSvc.exe" [2006-04-14 11:51]
"IntelWireless"="C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\ifrmewrk.exe" [2006-04-14 11:52]
"EOUApp"="C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\EOUWiz.exe" [2006-04-14 11:56]
"SunJavaUpdateSched"="C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_02\bin\jusched.exe" [2007-07-12 04:00]
"Symantec NetDriver Monitor"="C:\PROGRA~1\SYMNET~1\SNDMon.exe" [2006-12-26 02:15]
"QuickTime Task"="C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" [2006-09-01 15:57]
"HP Software Update"="C:\Program Files\HP\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd2.exe" [2005-02-16 23:11]
"Sony Ericsson PC Suite"="C:\Program Files\Sony Ericsson\Mobile2\Application Launcher\Application Launcher.exe" [2005-10-26 17:17]
"TalkAndWrite"="C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Skype\Plugins\Plugins\1163D2B46CC742E5A3CC9E4157887751\TalkAndWrite.exe" [2007-09-27 22:03]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]
"MsnMsgr"="C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\MsnMsgr.exe" [2007-01-19 12:54]
"ctfmon.exe"="C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe" [2004-08-04 20:00]
"updateMgr"="c:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\AdobeUpdateManager.exe" [2006-03-30 16:45]
"Skype"="C:\Program Files\Skype\Phone\Skype.exe" [2007-07-02 17:10]
"avpa"="C:\WINDOWS\system32\avpo.exe" [2007-09-18 07:58]

S3 SE27bus;Sony Ericsson Device 039 Driver driver (WDM);C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\SE27bus.sys
S3 SE27mdfl;Sony Ericsson Device 039 USB WMC Modem Filter;C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\SE27mdfl.sys
S3 SE27mdm;Sony Ericsson Device 039 USB WMC Modem Driver;C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\SE27mdm.sys
S3 SE27mgmt;Sony Ericsson Device 039 USB WMC Device Management Drivers (WDM);C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\SE27mgmt.sys
S3 se27nd5;Sony Ericsson Device 039 USB Ethernet Emulation SEMC39 (NDIS);C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\se27nd5.sys
S3 SE27obex;Sony Ericsson Device 039 USB WMC OBEX Interface;C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\SE27obex.sys
S3 se27unic;Sony Ericsson Device 039 USB Ethernet Emulation SEMC39 (WDM);C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\se27unic.sys

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\explorer\mountpoints2\{6030a12c-9c5f-11db-92c2-0018f3a4a805}]
AutoRun\command - G:\ntde1ect.com
explore\Command - G:\ntde1ect.com
open\Command - G:\ntde1ect.com

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\explorer\mountpoints2\{72c87bbe-c295-11db-92f1-0018f3a4a805}]
Auto\command - RavMonE.exe e
AutoRun\command - C:\WINDOWS\system32\RunDLL32.EXE Shell32.DLL,ShellExec_RunDLL RavMonE.exe e

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\explorer\mountpoints2\{7f9ec780-4daf-11dc-9395-0018f3a4a805}]
AutoRun\command - F:\ntde1ect.com
explore\Command - F:\ntde1ect.com
open\Command - F:\ntde1ect.com

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\explorer\mountpoints2\{a750df88-404a-11dc-938e-0018f3a4a805}]
Auto\command - boot.exe
AutoRun\command - C:\WINDOWS\system32\RunDLL32.EXE Shell32.DLL,ShellExec_RunDLL boot.exe

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\explorer\mountpoints2\{b743954a-ca41-11db-92fa-0018f3a4a805}]
AutoRun\command - G:\LCMonitor.exe

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\explorer\mountpoints2\{b743954b-ca41-11db-92fa-0018f3a4a805}]
AutoRun\command - H:\ie.exe
explore\Command - H:\ie.exe
open\Command - H:\ie.exe

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\explorer\mountpoints2\{c9c3d070-425c-11dc-938f-0018f3a4a805}]
AutoRun\command - ie.exe
explore\Command - ie.exe
open\Command - ie.exe

*Newly Created Service* - CATCHME

catchme 0.3.1169 W2K/XP/Vista - rootkit/stealth malware detector by Gmer, http://www.gmer.net
Rootkit scan 2007-10-08 19:51:35
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 FAT NTAPI

scanning hidden processes ...

scanning hidden autostart entries ...

scanning hidden files ...

scan completed successfully
hidden files: 0

Completion time: 2007-10-08 19:52:01
C:\ComboFix-quarantined-files.txt ... 2007-10-08 19:52
--- E O F ---
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is the HijackThis log:

Scan saved at 7:55:31 PM, on 10/8/2007

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\explorer.exe
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe

O23 - Service: Intel® PROSet/Wireless Event Log (EvtEng) - Intel Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\EvtEng.exe
O23 - Service: Intel® PROSet/Wireless Registry Service (RegSrvc) - Intel Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\RegSrvc.exe
O23 - Service: Intel® PROSet/Wireless Service (S24EventMonitor) - Intel Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\S24EvMon.exe

--
End of file - 10631 bytes

#5 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,504 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2007 - 02:18 PM

First,

Download this program:

Suspicious files packer

Highlight the files listed below in bold and right-click and selecting copy.

C:\WINDOWS\system32\emfxp.dll

Then start the file packer program and right click in the white box and select paste to paste the copied file names in the field.

Then press the Continue button.

I will create an archive with these files and a small log on your Desktop that starts with a name like requested-file[date].cab.

Rename this file to yourmembername.cab (for example grinler.cab).

Then go to:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/submit-malware.php
and fill in the required fields and browse to this file on your desktop. Finally click on the Send File button.

Then,

Open *notepad* by clicking on Start, then Run, and typing notepad and pressing enter.

When notepad opens, copy and paste the text in the quotebox below into it:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/110193/show-hidden-files-and-folders/
File::
C:\WINDOWS\system32\avpo.exe
F:\ntde1ect.com
G:\ntde1ect.com
H:\ie.exe

Registry::
"avpa"=-
[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\explorer\mountpoints2\{6030a12c-9c5f-11db-92c2-0018f3a4a805}]
[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\explorer\mountpoints2\{7f9ec780-4daf-11dc-9395-0018f3a4a805}]
[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\explorer\mountpoints2\{72c87bbe-c295-11db-92f1-0018f3a4a805}]
[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\explorer\mountpoints2\{a750df88-404a-11dc-938e-0018f3a4a805}]
[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\explorer\mountpoints2\{b743954b-ca41-11db-92fa-0018f3a4a805}]
[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\explorer\mountpoints2\{c9c3d070-425c-11dc-938f-0018f3a4a805}]

Name the Notepad file CFScript.txt and Save it to your desktop.

Then drag the CFScript into ComboFix.exe as you see in the screenshot below.

Posted Image

This will start ComboFix again. After reboot, (in case it asks to reboot), post the contents of Combofix.txt in your next reply together with a new HijackThis log.

#6 galen

galen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2007 - 02:52 PM

Great. Here we go:

ComboFix 07-10-08.3 - Galen 2007-10-08 21:46:24.2 - FAT32x86
Microsoft Windows XP Professional 5.1.2600.2.1252.1.1033.18.165 [GMT 2:00]
Command switches used :: C:\Documents and Settings\Galen\Desktop\CFScript.txt

FILE::
F:\ntde1ect.com
G:\ntde1ect.com
H:\ie.exe

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((( Other Deletions )))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

((((((((((((((((((((((((( Files Created from 2007-09-08 to 2007-10-08 )))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

2007-09-27 23:31 86,148 -r-hs---- C:\ntde1ect.com
2007-09-27 23:31 27,896 -r-hs---- C:\WINDOWS\system32\avpo0.dll
2007-09-25 15:53 <DIR> d-------- C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application DataCatalog.LiveSubscribe

(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((( Find3M Report ))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((( Reg Loading Points ))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

"ASUS Live Update"="C:\Program Files\ASUS\ASUS Live Update\ALU.exe" [2006-02-21 15:20]
"Wireless Console 2"="C:\Program Files\Wireless Console 2\wcourier.exe" [2005-10-17 17:09]
"RemoteControl"="C:\Program Files\ASUSTeK\ASUSDVD\PDVDServ.exe" [2004-11-02 20:24]
"ccApp"="c:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe" [2007-01-09 17:32]
"Power_Gear"="C:\Program Files\ASUS\Power4 Gear\BatteryLife.exe" [2006-03-14 17:46]
"IntelZeroConfig"="C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\bin\ZCfgSvc.exe" [2006-04-14 11:51]
"IntelWireless"="C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\ifrmewrk.exe" [2006-04-14 11:52]
"SunJavaUpdateSched"="C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_02\bin\jusched.exe" [2007-07-12 04:00]
"Symantec NetDriver Monitor"="C:\PROGRA~1\SYMNET~1\SNDMon.exe" [2006-12-26 02:15]
"HP Software Update"="C:\Program Files\HP\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd2.exe" [2005-02-16 23:11]
"Sony Ericsson PC Suite"="C:\Program Files\Sony Ericsson\Mobile2\Application Launcher\Application Launcher.exe" [2005-10-26 17:17]
"TalkAndWrite"="C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Skype\Plugins\Plugins\1163D2B46CC742E5A3CC9E4157887751\TalkAndWrite.exe" [2007-09-27 22:03]

"updateMgr"="c:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\AdobeUpdateManager.exe" [2006-03-30 16:45]

S3 SE27bus;Sony Ericsson Device 039 Driver driver (WDM);C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\SE27bus.sys
S3 SE27mdfl;Sony Ericsson Device 039 USB WMC Modem Filter;C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\SE27mdfl.sys
S3 SE27mdm;Sony Ericsson Device 039 USB WMC Modem Driver;C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\SE27mdm.sys
S3 SE27mgmt;Sony Ericsson Device 039 USB WMC Device Management Drivers (WDM);C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\SE27mgmt.sys
S3 se27nd5;Sony Ericsson Device 039 USB Ethernet Emulation SEMC39 (NDIS);C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\se27nd5.sys
S3 SE27obex;Sony Ericsson Device 039 USB WMC OBEX Interface;C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\SE27obex.sys
S3 se27unic;Sony Ericsson Device 039 USB Ethernet Emulation SEMC39 (WDM);C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\se27unic.sys

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\explorer\mountpoints2\{b743954a-ca41-11db-92fa-0018f3a4a805}]

*Newly Created Service* - CATCHME

catchme 0.3.1169 W2K/XP/Vista - rootkit/stealth malware detector by Gmer, http://www.gmer.net
Rootkit scan 2007-10-08 21:48:14

Completion time: 2007-10-08 21:48:38
C:\ComboFix-quarantined-files.txt ... 2007-10-08 21:48
C:\ComboFix2.txt ... 2007-10-08 19:52
--- E O F ---

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HijackThis log:

Scan saved at 9:51:13 PM, on 10/8/2007

Running processes:

O23 - Service: Intel® PROSet/Wireless Event Log (EvtEng) - Intel Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\EvtEng.exe
O23 - Service: Intel® PROSet/Wireless Registry Service (RegSrvc) - Intel Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\RegSrvc.exe
O23 - Service: Intel® PROSet/Wireless Service (S24EventMonitor) - Intel Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\S24EvMon.exe

--
End of file - 10498 bytes

#7 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,504 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2007 - 03:02 PM

I forgot to add two files to be deleted. Please delete these two files and post a brand new combofix log.

C:\ntde1ect.com
C:\WINDOWS\system32\avpo0.dll

This should be the last of it. Do you have removeable media that you use like a usb flash key? If so, we may need to run another program so you do not get reinfected.

#8 galen

galen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2007 - 03:11 PM

Sorry, I'm worried I'll do the wrong thing.

When you say 'delete' those two files, should I run HijackThis and tick the 2 approprate checkboxes and say 'clean files'? Or should I change the combofix code you gave me in the quotation box above? Or should I search for these files and delete them manually?

#9 galen

galen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2007 - 03:13 PM

Yes I do have a flash drive, and I'm sure that's how I got infected in the first place. I tried formatting the thing, but I don't know if it is clean or not. Thanks for all the help.

#10 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,504 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2007 - 03:40 PM

To be safe, let's use CF to delete them.

Open *notepad* by clicking on Start, then Run, and typing notepad and pressing enter.

When notepad opens, copy and paste the text in the quotebox below into it:

File::

Name the Notepad file CFScript.txt and Save it to your desktop.

Then drag the CFScript into ComboFix.exe as you see in the screenshot below.

Posted Image

This will start ComboFix again. After reboot, (in case it asks to reboot), post the contents of Combofix.txt in your next reply together with a new HijackThis log.

#11 galen

galen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2007 - 03:59 PM

Awesome.

Just thought I should tell you that CF restarted my computer, and on startup Windows gave me the message:

sed.cfexe has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

But CF was still running after I ignored this message, and the log was compiled:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ComboFix 07-10-08.3 - Galen 2007-10-08 22:47:38.3 - FAT32x86
Microsoft Windows XP Professional 5.1.2600.2.1252.1.1033.18.170 [GMT 2:00]
Command switches used :: C:\Documents and Settings\Galen\Desktop\CFScript.txt

FILE::

Rootkit scan 2007-10-08 22:51:45

Completion time: 2007-10-08 22:54:36 - machine was rebooted
C:\ComboFix-quarantined-files.txt ... 2007-10-08 22:54
C:\ComboFix3.txt ... 2007-10-08 19:52
C:\ComboFix2.txt ... 2007-10-08 21:48
--- E O F ---
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Then I ran HijackThis and it gave me:

Scan saved at 10:57:59 PM, on 10/8/2007

Running processes:

--
End of file - 10577 bytes

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks so much! If everything is now fine, could we please clean my flash drive?

#12 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,504 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2007 - 10:33 AM

Looks good so far. Let's clean this entry just to be complete (not malware related):

Close all windows, including this one, and start HijackThis. Click on the scan button and then put a checkmark next to this entry:

Then press the fix button.

Next,

Download Flash_Disinfector from HERE and save it to your Desktop.
Doubleclick on Flash_Disinfector.exe to run it and follow the prompts.
Wait until it has finished scanning and then exit the program.
The utility may ask you to insert your flash drive and/or other removable drives. This may include your mobile phone.
Please do so and allow the utility to clean up those drives as well.

Note: This utility will create a file "Autorun.inf" on all removable storage devices, and protect the file with attributes making it a System, Hidden, Read-only file. You would be best served to leave these files be. They are designed to prevent commont Autorun malware infections from using this same file to launch repeated infections. This is a protection mechanism and the file should be left alone.

When this is all done, reboot, and post a new combofix log along with a new hjt log.

#13 galen

galen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2007 - 12:50 PM

No problems.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ComboFix 07-10-08.3 - Galen 2007-10-09 19:43:47.4 - FAT32x86
Microsoft Windows XP Professional 5.1.2600.2.1252.1.1033.18.84 [GMT 2:00]

((((((((((((((((((((((((( Files Created from 2007-09-09 to 2007-10-09 )))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

2007-10-09 19:38 <DIR> drahs---- C:\autorun.inf
2007-10-09 19:37 51,200 --a------ C:\WINDOWS\nircmd.exe

2007-10-09 19:41 45056 --a------ C:\WINDOWS\system32\acovcnt.exe

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((( snapshot@2007-10-08_19.51.44.40 )))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
----a-w 163,328 2007-03-13 08:57:12 C:\WINDOWS\erdnt\subs\F3M\ERDNT.EXE

Rootkit scan 2007-10-09 19:46:42

Completion time: 2007-10-09 19:47:12
C:\ComboFix-quarantined-files.txt ... 2007-10-09 19:47
C:\ComboFix3.txt ... 2007-10-08 21:48
C:\ComboFix2.txt ... 2007-10-08 22:54
--- E O F ---
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Scan saved at 7:49:21 PM, on 10/9/2007

Running processes:

--
End of file - 10502 bytes

#14 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,504 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2007 - 01:14 PM

Looks good. How does it feel to you now?

#15 galen

galen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2007 - 01:23 PM

Everything seems back to normal. I don't know what you did, but those easy steps fixed my problem totally!

I just want to say thanks, personally, because I don't know how the guys at BleepingComputer support this free service. And being so helpful, friendly and polite is really amazing to experience.

You're a legend, and I'm recommending this site to everyone I know! Thanks! :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users