Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ide And Sata?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 LTJLily17

LTJLily17

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 AM

Posted 28 September 2007 - 06:21 PM

I recently built a computer (my first) and at the time, I had an 80gb IDE hard drive. I have recently acquired another 80gb drive, but it's SATA. My motherboard supports both.

I plugged in the SATA drive last night, Vista recognized the new hardware, and popped up a message saying it was installing the drivers. The drive never showed up under My Computer. It's there in the device manager, and had the latest drivers installed.

Do the drives have no be jumpered since they are on separate lines (they are currently not, I didn't have any)?

Can I run 2 hard drives when one is IDE and the other is SATA?

Sorry if this question has been asked before, I went back about 15 pages, and didn't see anything similar.

Thanks in advance for any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Tecumseh

Tecumseh

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 AM

Posted 28 September 2007 - 08:13 PM

Hi,

Yes, you can run both SATA and IDE hard drives on your system. SATA drives do not need to be jumpered. Does your SATA drive show in Windows Explorer?

Mod Edit: Edited to remove unnecessary quote. ~tg

Edited by tg1911, 28 September 2007 - 10:27 PM.

ya'aa'tey

#3 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2007 - 08:34 PM

start/right click computer/manage/disk management
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#4 Alex.ZeeM

Alex.ZeeM

• Banned
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2007 - 12:48 AM

hi guys
Tecumseh can u tell me the difference in between SATA hard drive and IDE hard drive?
"I think SATA hard drive are more faster then IDE and in SATA their is no need to do setting in jumpers because SATA hard drive are jumper less. "
This is a short info i have about these hard drive but i m not sure that is it info correct or not ?
so plzz kindly clear my views about it.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 AM

Posted 29 September 2007 - 03:35 AM

A IDE has a transfer rate of up to 130MB/s, a SATA starts at 150MB/s and goes up from there. SATA doesn't use jumpers as the IDE does to designate two drives and master and slave on the same IDE cable, each SATA drive will connect to its' own SATA header.

Edited by dc3, 29 September 2007 - 03:42 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2007 - 05:45 AM

it's not that sata drives are faster than ide ones, as much as new drives are faster than old ones

the interface is faster, but that's only a burst speed and even a 32 meg cache on a hard drive can hold less than a second's worth of data
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users