Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Gateway reboots randomly

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:17 AM

Posted 09 February 2005 - 10:24 PM

I am working on a friend's computer , Gateway Athlon 950 Mhz/128ram/WinME. She brought it to me because in would randomly freeze, reboot, blue screen. I tried all the anti-virus\spyware . I did a DOD wipe and did a fresh install with the recovery disks. I freezes up during install. While installing the drivers it constantly reboots. I changed the HD and ram with no results. Could the power supply be going out?? I've run out of ideas. Could someone give me a hand. Oh yeah I thought about flashing the BIOS , but I could go from bad to dead , so I am leaving that til the last bullet. All help is welcome.

acklan
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2005 - 10:47 PM

FOLLOW UP:

I left it running and it froze up again. When I tap a key (any key) I get a flicker on the screen. The flick is a thin horizoinal line random across the screen .

acklan

#3 LoLucky

LoLucky

• Members
  • 331 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 AM

Posted 10 February 2005 - 09:54 AM

Um odd way of asking this but are all the Video drivers up to date
and is the Vid card Correctly seated? (I know not much room for error but it could happen)
What OS is this? if its XP have you disabled Microsoft's way of saying "its not us it must be your hardware?" (if system failure occurs Display Blue Screen of Death not Auto Reboot?)

Edit: I'm Color Dumb i guess *shrug*

Edited by LoLucky, 10 February 2005 - 09:56 AM.

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2005 - 12:21 PM

Thanks for the reply LoLucky. I dropped a different video card and even switched to a PCI card just to be sure. No luck but thanks for the input.

acklan

#5 LoLucky

LoLucky

• Members
  • 331 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2005 - 04:04 PM

could it be an issue with your processor? i know its happened to me where the processor Fan got clogged so it stopped cooling as fast and the chip refused to go on.

Might be a thought

Edited by LoLucky, 10 February 2005 - 04:04 PM.

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2005 - 10:49 PM

The fan looks good but just in case it was weak I replaced the fan but had no effect . I had already cleaned the heatsink and fan when I started . It seems to be locking up now Has not rebooted in 36 hours.

acklan

#7 LoLucky

LoLucky

• Members
  • 331 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2005 - 08:30 AM

Err that last reply was to another post. sorry about that.
I was tired what can i say its not 10 PM yet LOL!

#8 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2005 - 08:33 AM

It was a good dea . :thumbsup:

#9 hays47

hays47

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 AM

Posted 14 February 2005 - 10:01 PM

If you have access to a good power supply at least 300 watts , slave it in and try running computer. You probably will not be able to install as gateway power supplies are different than standard. Most major computer companies ( dell, hp etc. ) use underpower supplies. I f you read Intel, AMD web site they advise as to what size and even the maker of power supply. But I regress , check connections to see if possible , let substitute power supply sit stable . Turn computer on to see if any stability is achieved. If it does then you know it is the power supply. By the way, E- Machines are infamous for this.
I plan to live forever , so far , plan is working.

#10 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2005 - 09:06 AM

Good to know. When you said Gateway PS are none standard do you mean the mount points or how the power supply works ? I have access to a used computer store and she said bring in the old unit and we could match. This is a good post . I guess I should have already swap it out . Thanks for the good info. Big thumbs up :thumbsup:

#11 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2005 - 09:37 AM

Gateway computers have a different mounting arrangement for the PSU. In order to use a non-Gateway PS you need something like this. I'm only using that link for an example, not suggesting you buy anything from them.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#12 rexifelis

rexifelis

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2005 - 05:02 PM

E- Machines

E- Machines?!?!!?

yeuch, quit cussing here... heh :thumbsup:

--rex
"Any technology, no matter how primitive, is magic to those who don't understand it."
--Florence Ambrose
Freefall (gooood webcomic)
reference to the specific strip that my quote came from.

#13 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2005 - 05:51 PM

" and the crowd goes wild...." :trumpet: :woot: :cool: :thumbsup: :flowers: :inlove:

#14 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2005 - 12:16 AM

Bad news sports fan . The home team strikes out again . I swapped out the power supply ( with alittle mod.) and it is still freezing up , and when I go to SAFE MODE the system auto reboots . NEXT !!!! I'm out of ideas . I saw a diagnostic card on ebay . Can anyone tell me if they work ? To recap . I have changed memory . Stripped out all the cards and added them back one at a time with no results . I'm open suggestions .

acklan

#15 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2005 - 08:18 AM

Take a really close look at the capacitors on the MB to see if they are swollen or leaking. That computer would seem to be about the right age to be effected with that problem.

Don't think flashing would help unless there has been a hardware or cpu upgrade.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users