Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Right Click, Save As, Jpeg, 100% Cpu Lock Up

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 rjunk

rjunk

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 PM

Posted 28 September 2007 - 02:49 PM

I have a Toshiba laptop that locks up in Internet Explorer 7 (Win XP Home) when I right click and save a picture. I did a system restore for about 2 weeks ago - before I noticed the problem. It did not fix.

Last week I downloaded a program from download.com that helped me recover some lost jpeg files off of a memory card. Since then I have had problems. Don't ask me what it was, because as a dummy, I don't remember - and of course, it's gone now. (It did work by the way.)

I am so completely frustrated that I just would like to use my windows recovery cd and start over. Will this repair my problem?

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2007 - 05:10 PM

WARNING:
This is a registry edit.
Improper changes to the registry could render your computer inoperable.
Remember to backup the registry, before making any changes.
Instructions, on how to do that, can be found here:
How to back up, edit, and restore the registry
(I highly recommend, you make a copy of this article.)

Try this:
kellys-korner

Enable or Disable Right Click Context Menu - #56, on the Right
(Select Enable)

Edited by tg1911, 28 September 2007 - 05:12 PM.

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 rjunk

rjunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2007 - 05:51 PM

Thank you for the suggestion. Unfortunately, it was not successful. I backed up the registry, downloaded the edit, restarted and then attempted to right click, save a gif file to My Pictures. It locked up again. I could have ended IE from task manager, but I tried to close the window. It woudn't close on its own, I had to end the 'non responsive' program and sent the error to Microsoft. This is no different than before.

Should I go back to the old registry?

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 AM

Posted 01 October 2007 - 12:30 AM

I would try reinstalling IE7. Go Start > Control Panel > Add and Remove Programs and uninstall IE7. This will "roll you back" to IE6. Then visit Microsoft Updates and let it reinstall IE7.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 PM

Posted 01 October 2007 - 10:52 AM

Can you test with another browser -- or a different User Account? You can enable the Guest Account for test purposes.

Also -- do ensure you have cleared the temporary internet cache in Internet Explorer's Internet Options.

Does the problem occur before or after you actually select "save image as"?
Microsoft MVP Shell/User

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users