Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

High Pitched Squeal Then Hibernation

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 sipickles

sipickles

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 PM

Posted 28 September 2007 - 02:40 PM

Typically, my ASUS laptop has gone weird just after the warranty has expired...

My theory is that the MOBO is not good.

After cold start, it runs for about 5 mins then emits a very very high pitched squeal. This wavers depending on CPU load. Google says this may be whistling capacitors on the MOBO, or a switched mode PSU on the MOBO supplying the CPU (it comes from an area near the CPU, and on;y seems to happen when running on AC).

After another few minutes, it enters hibernation automatically. After rebooting it only runs a short time before hibernation.

I thought maybe the fan was not running correctly, and was right, it doesn;t seem to run, so I connected it to an external 5v PSU so it was running full speed continuously. The problem still occurs, so I guess I can rule out overheating, with thermal protection causing the hibernation.

Has anyone had a similar experience? Shame, I really liked the ASUS model......

ASUS A6000 Notebook with 1GB RAM, GeForce Go 7300 GPU, Windows XP home

Thanks

Simon

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 PM

Posted 28 September 2007 - 10:05 PM

Have you cleaned the laptop out recently? Try blowing some air (canned air works great) throughout the laptop to get the dust and junk out of it.

It could be the motherboard going bad too. My moms computer at work kept randomly shutting off because the capacitors on the motherboard were leaking electrolytes. You could always open the case up and check these out.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users