Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Managing Cookies

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Hal06

Hal06

• Members
  • 914 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:18 PM

Posted 28 September 2007 - 10:39 AM

I use Firefox v. 2.0.0.7. To control cookies I can accept or not, if I accept I can keep until they expire, keep until session is ended, or ask every time. I have it set to ask every time, but this is rather annoying. What are the risks of choosing one of the other options or of not accepting cookies? Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 PM

Posted 28 September 2007 - 10:49 AM

Well, many cookies are perfectly harmless, and aid in navigating sites, logging in, retaining personal preferences (when I look at Border's, for example, the site already knows the three nearest stores so I can check their instock on a book I wish to buy). If you accept no cookies, you will have to deal with these problems every time you revisit some of your websites.

1. Keeping until expiration. This would mean that you most likely would have some malicious cookies on your hard drive. You would then have to manually review all the cookies and decide which to delete.
2. Keep until end of session. This would mean that you would loose the beneficial cookies each time you closed your browser.
3. Ask every time. This may be annoying, but seems the best choice.

Note: you can also tell Firefox which sites are OK to accept cookies for the session (or NOT); using this feature will reduce the number of decisions you need to make.

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 PM

Posted 28 September 2007 - 11:30 AM

To elaborate a little further, on what jgweed said:

Note: you can also tell Firefox which sites are OK to accept cookies for the session (or NOT); using this feature will reduce the number of decisions you need to make.

Personally, I prefer to leave that box unchecked, and use the Exceptions... button.
If it's a site I trust, I'll add it to the Exceptions list.
That way, only those sites can set cookies.
In the Address of web site: box, type in the URL of the site you want to allow cookies from.
Click the Allow button.
When your done, click the Close button.
Now, that site, will always be allowed to set cookies.

You can also use this to always block cookies, from certain sites.
Follow the above directions, and instead of clicking the Allow button, click the Block button.

If it's a site that has to use cookies to function, but you don't want them to remain on your computer (in my case, Yahoo Mail), use the Allow for session button.
That way when you close Firefox, the cookies set by that site will be removed.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users