Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Avg, Avast! And Norton

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 marshall3kayx

marshall3kayx

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 AM

Posted 28 September 2007 - 07:19 AM

I know having two is bad so three is going to be worse;

I got Norton Internet Security 2006 with this computer when I bought it last new year, its trial ran out so I installed AVG (A program I've used for a few years now on various computers so I 'trust it') and didnt uninstall Norton. My computers been a mess lately so I installed Avast, and have had the three running for a maybe a week or so.

I'm a cheapskate and dont want to pay for Norton so I should uninstall it right? Since it has Anti-Virus and a Firewall (firewalls arent exactly my strong point) uninstalling it would mean I would have to download another Firewall program like ZoneAlarms yes? I'm supposing that Norton isnt doing much since its not been renewed since Feb or something, I dont really like Norton much either so thats more reason to uninstall.

The main question being should I uninstall Norton, get ZoneAlarms (my dad used to have it on his computer the only one I recognize), then disable either Avast or AVG and this would have me safe?
I read that Avast! is better than AVG, so I should get rid of AVG too?

Also, is this wise whilst trying to sort out malware problems?

Thanks inadvance for any advice!

Edited by marshall3kayx, 28 September 2007 - 07:20 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 AM

Posted 28 September 2007 - 07:25 AM

I would uninstall Norton using their Removal Tool.

As to whether Avast is better than AVG, different people have different opinions. I personally use AVG, but I don't think you'll go wrong which ever one you use.

After uninstalling Norton you will need a firewall, so get ZoneAlarm or check here for other options (I like Comodo).

A few good free antispyware apps which I would recommend are:

SuperAntiSpyware
AVG Antispyware
SpyBot
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 marshall3kayx

marshall3kayx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2007 - 08:09 AM

Great, thanks for the quicky reply, I'll uninstall Norton and pick a firewall. Also I use all of those antispyware's at the moment as well so I should be okay there.

Again thanks!

#4 honesy

honesy

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 PM

Posted 09 October 2007 - 11:10 PM

i would say use AVG because i used avast for a month and did an online scan with bitdef, and it found heaps of virus that avast didnt...

#5 ^MavericK!

^MavericK!

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 PM

Posted 10 October 2007 - 04:13 PM

I've used Avast for 5+ years now. I really have nothing bad to say about it, I only have good things to say. I use it with segate (firewall) and to me this conbination is great. haven't had any issues with them and they are great. Sygate is not free though.

Having more than one AV is just make your PC have lots of conflicts and will make your PC very slow.

My vote will be for Avast...
:thumbsup:

Mav

#6 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,574 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 PM

Posted 10 October 2007 - 08:49 PM

Avast! is very nice. I've used it for about two years and liked it very much. Just does the job quietly.

At this point, my vote is for Avira AntiVir. Thin, fast, updates on schedule, scans fast. Very nice. Great user manual. I've been using it for several months. No issues.

Take a look at interesting, independent, tests http://www.av-comparatives.org
and review the charts and summaries.
Of the free antivirus applications, AntiVir is clearly up there on top. NOD32 for paid. Some people don't like false positives too much, but as far as I can tell, it only happens on a very deep scan, where you're really fishing for trouble. I'm yet to see a false positive on a normal setting.

PLEASE, do not EVER use more than one AV product at a time!
Make sure to totally uninstall Norton/Symantec. Reboot, confirm it's really gone before installing any other AV.

Edited by tos226, 10 October 2007 - 08:55 PM.

#7 VirtueOfPanda

VirtueOfPanda

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2007 - 12:21 PM

Personally I use Avast and really like it. Yet at the end of the day, what I like may not be what you like. You could uninstall Norton and then test out AVG, Avast, and maybe even Avira (all have free option) and see which one you prefer. Of course, by doing this you will also know if it can run on your computer, and see if there are any conflicts with other programs you use.

Regarding your question: Avast!

~VirtueOfPanda~
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users