Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Fn Key Not Working

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 sparkyuiop

sparkyuiop

• Banned
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 PM

Posted 28 September 2007 - 03:46 AM

Hi all. I recently aquired a Dell Latitude CPx J with a broken hard drive. I have replaced it and loaded XP Home and all is well apart from the function key that seems to do nothing.
If I hold it and use any of the blue function commands I only get the windows functions. Does this mean the keyboard is faulty or is there a driver missing? I thought the driver for this key was in bios but I cannot reinstall the bios as the latest one avaliable states that mine is either newer or the same as the current version.
There are various downloads avaliable for this laptop but I can't see any that I need to install to make it work. Here is the link:-
http://support.euro.dell.com/support/downl...=WW1&osl=EN

Just to add the service tag is: GXPY30J

Thanks for any advice.

Sparkyuiop.

Edited by sparkyuiop, 28 September 2007 - 03:48 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 AM

Posted 28 September 2007 - 03:52 AM

You could try popping the Fn key off the keyboard and cleaning underneath it. Here's some more info on cleaning a laptop keyboard.

Cleaning Laptop Keyboard
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 sparkyuiop

sparkyuiop
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2007 - 03:56 AM

Thanks Budapest. I will try this as a last resort but it's only the Fn key which makes me sort of suspect it's not a bad contact. I could be wrong however.

Edited by sparkyuiop, 28 September 2007 - 03:57 AM.

#4 sparkyuiop

sparkyuiop
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2007 - 04:44 AM

I have taken off the function key and it looks really clean underneath. In bois there is an option for turning on 'key click'. With this switched on all of the keys click except the function key.
I will buy a new keyboard. I just hope this solves the problem.

#5 FireKracker

FireKracker

• Members
  • 484 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2007 - 07:54 PM

Don't you have to install a driver for this key to work? Toshiba laptops utilise a driver to get the Fn key working.
If all else fails, hit the reset button.
Posted Image

#6 sparkyuiop

sparkyuiop
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2007 - 03:51 AM

It just started working again. Very odd, I did nothing further to it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users