Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable To Open Zip File

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Tabi

Tabi

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 AM

Posted 27 September 2007 - 09:08 PM

Hello,
Every time I try to open a Zip file, a box appears telling me that my trial membership of 45 days is over and prompts me to purchase Win 11.1
How can I get rid of this nag and use the Zip feature that is part of WinXP?

I followed the tutorial for opening a Zip File which says to right click and choose 'Extract all' on the drop down menu.
However, my drop down menu doesn't list the options as shown: Open, Search, Explore, Analyze, Extract all. Scan with AVG Free and FolderSizes.
Instead, my drop down looks as follows:
Open
Open with
WINZIP
Scan with Computer Assoc.
Send to
cut
copy
and so on, but no 'Extract all' as the Tutorial indicates would be there.

As per the Tutorial, clicking on Extract All will bring up an Extract Wizard. Since I don't seem to have the Extract All option, is there another way of getting to the Extract Wizard?

Post 1 of 9 | Back to top

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 12,807 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 PM

Posted 28 September 2007 - 06:21 AM

I assume you're referring to WinZip 11.1 ?

If so, I'd think if you un-installed the expired trial WinZip, the native XP zip utility should be re-instated as the default zip handler.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 AM

Posted 28 September 2007 - 07:00 AM

Every time I try to open a Zip file, a box appears telling me that my trial membership of 45 days is over and prompts me to purchase Win 11.1
How can I get rid of this nag and use the Zip feature that is part of WinXP?

Buy WinZip 11.1. :thumbsup:

or you can uninstall WinZip and use WinXP's file compression and expansion.

To zip a file

1. Right click on the file or folder to be zipped.
2. Select ‘send to’ compressed (zipped) folder.
3 A folder containing the zipped file will be created in your current directory or the wizard will ask you to choose a location.

To unzip a file

1. Right click on the file or folder to be unzipped.
2. Select extract all.
3. Follow the wizard and choose a location to extract to.

Edited by Keithuk, 28 September 2007 - 07:05 AM.

Keith

Windows ME (spare computer)
Windows XP 2002 Professional SP3 (desktop computer)
Windows 7 Professional SP1 32bit (laptop computer)

Windows 8 64bit spare drive for laptop computer

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,072 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 AM

Posted 28 September 2007 - 10:32 AM

It appears that you've installed a copy of WinZip and it has taken over as the default file compression program. In order to revert to the standard Windows version, you'll have to uninstall the WinZip software from your system (or you can pay for it and continue to use it).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Tabi

Tabi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 AM

Posted 28 September 2007 - 03:21 PM

Thank you all for your fast replies.
I have uninstalled WinZip (the trial version, which I didn't recognize as such), and was able to unzip the message I wished to read.
There were a few more obstructions to deal with, such as the firewall, allow an unblock - but it worked in the end and I'm sure I can duplicate these steps again.
Very much appreciate your interest and help :thumbsup:
Karin

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,072 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 AM

Posted 29 September 2007 - 08:06 PM

Glad to hear that you got it to work, and thanks for letting us know!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users