Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Constant Freeze-ups In Some Tasks?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 PM

Posted 27 September 2007 - 08:21 PM

OK, I've had three consistent points where the computer will freeze up and not react to anything. One of those is when I try to delete ReadMes from .zip files. When I say delete it, it will say nothing to delete and then go off on a tangent dividing by zero or something like that so it never finishes deleting and you can't shut it off. When I turn on the computer, occasionally it will get stuck at that black screen with the flashing line for 10 minutes or more (it's either instantly working or it takes 10 minutes). Finally, when shutting down while logged in, it will fail to shut down because it gets stuck at 'windows is logging off'. Any ideas?
No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2007 - 09:51 AM

Check your Event Viewer for errors around these times (Go to Start...Run...and type in "eventvwr.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter). In particular, check the Application and the System logs.

Also, check in the Processes tab of Task Manager (Ctrl-Alt-Del) to see what's hogging the resources there. If there's no noticeable issues in the CPU or Memory columns, go to the View menu item, then to "Select Columns", then put a checkmark in the IO Reads box and click OK to exit the dialog. Then check to see if anything is hogging the IO Reads column. This won't reveal much unless the system is actually lagging at the time you look at it - so it may be worthwhile to open Task Manager and keep it on top until the lag occurs.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2007 - 05:03 PM

Well technically I can only use that method in one of three of those freeze-ups. But thanks, I'll see how it goes. The ReadMe thing doesn't happen much, I've stop doing it now, I delete it after unzipped.
No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2007 - 07:52 PM

Once you figure out why it locks with the readme's - that may fix the other problems. There's separate procedures for troubleshooting the black screen on startup and the "hanging" shutdown after the lockup in Windows.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users