Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Frequent & Sporadic Loss Of Connection To Web

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Rob8UrChips

Rob8UrChips

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 AM

Posted 27 September 2007 - 06:55 PM

For ages now there's been a sudden loss of connection to the Internet. Now that we've fixed the errors on bootup, it would be awfully good if I could get a reliable connection to the Web.

There's no discernible reason why the connection is lost, but here's a chronological list of what's happening per the System Log of the Event Viewer and what I do to get the connection back. The time is in 24-hour clock as hours:mins: then secs where relevant.

13:57 Bootup - Logs are clear/OK. Firefox (FF) is opened, then a torrent Client (tc).
21:49 Suddenly lost connection while on BleepingComputer with FF. tc still running OK.
Copy from Event Viewer Sys. Log:

Event Type: Warning
Event Source: dnscache
Event Category: None
Event ID: 11050
Date: 27/09/2007
Time: 21:49:02
User: N/A
Computer: WISE
Description:
The DNS Client service could not contact any DNS servers for a repeated number of attempts. For the next 30 seconds the DNS Client service will not use the network to avoid further network performance problems. It will resume its normal behavior after that. If this problem persists, verify your TCP/IP configuration, specifically check that you have a preferred (and possibly an alternate) DNS server configured. If the problem continues, verify network conditions to these DNS servers or contact your network administrator.
Data:
0000: b4 05 00 00 ...

QUESTIONS:
1. per the above Description, how do I verify the TCP/IP configuration, and what should I look for please?

2. how do I "check that I have a preferred (and possibly alternate) DNS server configured"?

3. and how do I "verify network conditions [whatever they are?] to these DNS servers"?

Between 21:49 and 22:40 I tried various combinations to get the connection back. None of these worked:
Refreshing FF pages with tc still running.
Closing and re-opening FF.
Stopping torrents downloading (which were maintaining connections), and closing and re-starting FF.
Exiting/clossing tc completely and re-opening FF. Still no connection.

Then at 22:40, with FF still open and showing "Problem loading page" I terminated the connection to the router using system tray icon for Safe Removal. This invoked the System Log to give two slightly different entries only one second apart:

at 22:40:46

Event Type: Information
Event Source: BROWSER
Event ID: 8033
Time: 22:40:46
Description:
The browser has forced an election on network \Device\Nbf_{174A3D86-D421-44BF-B400-B10AAC329343} because a master browser was stopped.

and at 22:40:47

Time: 22:40:47
Description:
The browser has forced an election on network \Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{174A3D86-D421-44BF-B400-B10AAC329343} because a master browser was stopped.

I left things alone for a few minutesand at 22:45 I physically pulled the USB cable out the socket and re-plugged it. Still no connection with FF.

Two minutes later at 22:47 System Log has this Warning:

Event Source: Dhcp
Event ID: 1007
Time: 22:47:08
Description:
Your computer has automatically configured the IP address for the Network Card with network address 00147F921756. The IP address being used is [that of my router (I think) - not my computers IP] (edited by me for security purposes).
Data:
0000: 00 00 00 00 ....

Another two minutes later at 22:49 I closed and re-opened FF. tc is still closed. Still no connection.

Then at or before 22:54 the connection miraculously came back and FF was OK. The System Log had this new entry (last one folks):

Time: 22:53:29
Description:
The browser has forced an election on network \Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{174A3D86-D421-44BF-B400-B10AAC329343} because a master browser was stopped.

which is EXACTLY the same entry as the one at 22:40:47 which mentions the path(?)

\Device\NetBT_Tcpip_....

NB the other Info entry at 22:40:46 had a different path of \Device\Nbf_...., and unfortunately I'm not familiar with either NetBT_Tcpip or Nbf.

QUESTION

4. What the H*** is going on, and what medicine does my sick computer need to make it better?

Thanks folks. I'm pretty sure I've not missed anything relevant, but if you need to ask questions please feel free to Post them.

Edited by Rob8UrChips, 28 September 2007 - 01:01 AM.

Rob
(the one who knows from experience that:
1. ignorance combined with minimal wealth + plenty health is, in fact, bliss;
2. asking questions becomes dangerous when they're answered; and,
3. eating too many chips wont make you into a FAT32).

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:03 PM

Posted 28 September 2007 - 01:05 AM

Are you connected via cable or DSL? Are you using a router with the modem? I would try to set your NIC with a Static IP address. If you are running a router look in the setup for a place to enter the DNS IP addresses. I would also enter them when I configure a static LAN IP. Here are several Public DNS servers that you can use. There is one in London, try it. 194.164.6.112
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 Rob8UrChips

Rob8UrChips
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2007 - 03:54 AM

Hi acklan (have you changed cats face?)

Thanks for responding so quickly, but I'm afraid you'll need to come back - see below for extent of my ignorance. These past few weeks have been a VERY steep learning-curve for me, and I'm still learning. So please have patience with me acklan - I can be disappointingly slow on the uptake. OK, here goes.

Are you connected via cable or DSL? Are you using a router with the modem?

There's no modem onboard so need to assume the broadband/DSL router has a modem.

I would try to set your NIC with a Static IP address.

You need to tell me how to do that acklan.
NIC = Network I(?) Card? I don't know what or where that is.
The only thing I've seen with an option to make the computer IP address static is in the routers 'Hub Manager' program where it has a check-box to make it static. The last time I used that, it wouldn't let me uncheck the box to revert to a non-static one - so i had to reset the router back to factory settings.
If this isn't what you mean, please take time to make things more idiot-proof by spelling out what I need to do and (if its in Windows 2000Pro) how to find the right screen or box to do it in.

Here's a copy page from the Hub Manager (edited for security) that may help us [NB anything in square brackets is a comment by me]:

wise [name of my computer, as also appears in Event Viewer Log entries]

Information

Type: Generic Device

Connected To: usbport (USB)

Addressing

Physical Address: [my computers MAC Address]

IP Address Assignment: DHCP

IP Address: [of my computer]

Always use the same address: No [this indicates my computers IP is currently not static]

DHCP Lease Time: 0 days, 14:41:18

Connection Sharing [this is what 'they' call Port Forwarding]

There is no game or service assigned to this device.

***End of 1st Copy Page***

***2nd Copy Page***

Internet Connection Information [for the router]

Uptime: 1 day, 7:21:44

Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [GB/GB]: 4.46 / 3.16

Username: removed by me

Password: removed by me

Remember Password: Yes

IP Address: here it has the IP address of the Broadband Network (not my computer)

Primary DNS: 62.6.40.162

Secondary DNS: 194.72.0.98 [I don't know where it got these. It's automated?]

***End of 2nd Copy Page***

If you are running a router look in the setup for a place to enter the DNS IP addresses.

I think this is what the setup page looks like (BP has removed the boxes to manually enter details, and the drop-down menu for Service is replaced with a line of options that I don't know anything about either).

***3rd Copy Page***

Dynamic DNS Service

In order to use a dynamic DNS service, you must first visit the website of a Dynamic DNS service provider and register. You will receive parameters (username, password, hostname...) that can be used to configure your BT Home Hub.

Configuration

Enabled: [a check box, that is currently unchecked]

Interface: Internet [a permanent entry with no choices/options]

Username: [box to enter data]

Password: [box to enter data]

Confirm password: [box to enter data]

Service: dyndns statdns custom No-IP DtDNS gnudip [options in the drop-down menu]

Host: [box to enter data]

[a click box "Apply"]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Use multiple hosts [this is a link to click on]

***End of 3rd Copy Page***

Is that the page you had in mind acklan? I'm unsure if it is because the routers Help page has this:

***4th Copy Page***

Dynamic DNS allows computers on the internet to access servers on your network using a domain name rather than an IP address. This is particularly useful if you are allocated a dynamic IP address by your ISP. Dynamic IP addresses can change every time you log on to your service provider, making it difficult for internet users to find your servers. A dynamic DNS service provides a permanent domain name for your users even when your IP address has changed.

You must subscribe to a dynamic DNS service to use this feature. The services currently supported are listed in the drop-down menu.

***End of 4th Copy Page***

If you are running a router look in the setup for a place to enter the DNS IP addresses. I would also enter them when I configure a static LAN IP. Here are several Public DNS servers that you can use. There is one in London, try it. 194.164.6.112

I've had a look at your link to OpenNIC (thanks for that) and saw the London one in the Tier 2 list.

If the above 3rd copy page is the right one, do I put 194.164.6.112 (the London one) in the box for Host, or do I put ns1.uk.opennic.glue?
And which of the Service options do I select from the drop-down menu (dyndns statdns custom No-IP DtDNS or gnudip)?

Actually, should a completed '3rd Copy Page' look like this:

Enabled: [check box ticked]

Interface: Internet

Username: wise [my computer name, or some other username?]

Password: [not sure which one they mean, or to set one anew]

Confirm password:

Service: dyndns statdns custom No-IP DtDNS gnudip [D'oh!!]

Host: [Either 194.164.6.112 or ns1.uk.opennic.glue?]

Or am I 'barking up the wrong tree' with this, and I need to find a different page for what you mean?

acklan, as I said at the top we'll need to come back to this. I'm really sorry, but I'm not familiar with any of this part of your advice and am desperately in need of further (more idiot-proof) guidance.

And if anyone else reading this wants to chip-in with any easy-to-understand explanations, links to info, etc. please do so. Specially if you also have experience with the BT (ie British Telecom) HomeHub router.

EDIT & UPdate:

Connection sneaked off again after I Posted the above. This is what I was doing:

Firefox was running but minimized to task bar.
Torrent client was running and minimized to system tray.
Was burning DVD from downloaded torrent files.
Had opened a 'Video Joiner' program to join 4 files into one movie file.
More burning to DVD.
When finished, I then noticed the torrent client had lost/stopped making connections.
Checked with Firefox, and it had lost connection too.
Event Viewer was reporting nothing new at this point - eg no Browser info, no dnscache warning, and no Dchp entry.

To get connection back I:
Stopped both active torrents, waited, then exited Client.
Exited Firefox.
Waited, then checked Event Viewer again - still nothing reported since last night.
Clicked on Safe Removal of router - which was allowed (it doesn't always let me).
Pulled router cable from USB.
Event Viewer System Log reported the two NetBT_Tcpip & Nbf Info messages again - but nothing else.
Re-plugged router cable to USB socket.
Opened Firefox - all OK - no new message in Sys Log.
Opened torrent client, and restarted both torrents - all OK - no new message in Sys. Log.
Logged into BleepingComputer, wrote this update and,
immediately prior to clicking on Submit Modified Post there was no new Event Viewer entry.

These are the two that appeared when I stopped the connection to the router:

Date: 28/09/2007
Time: 12:17:13
Description:

and then,

Date: 28/09/2007
Time: 12:17:13
Description:
The browser has forced an election on network \Device\Nbf_{174A3D86-D421-44BF-B400-B10AAC329343} because a master browser was stopped.

NB The info {174A3D86-D421-44BF-B400-B10AAC329343} in these two messages is the same as the three Info messages I got last night (mentioned in my first Post).

This time there's no Dchp entry, and no dnscache entry. I simply don't understand what's going on here! And don't know how to persuade my sick eBeast to keep a connection.

Heeeeeellpp - please. AAAgggghhhhhhh!!!

Edited by Rob8UrChips, 28 September 2007 - 07:00 AM.

Rob

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 PM

Posted 28 September 2007 - 10:32 AM

His service is cable with VOIP. It's called HomeHub. The provider is British Telecom. Here's what he's using:
Mark
http://www.productsandservices.bt.com
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 Bonneville

Bonneville

• Members
  • 233 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2007 - 05:04 PM

:thumbsup:

Hiya,

His connection is BT Total Broadband, either option 1 or 2; I doubt very much if it is option 3.

BT Broadband is ADSL, modem or wireless router, once again depending on his signed up specs. Connection in Option 1 is normally via usb to standard broadband modem, although it can be upgraded to a wireless router. If using a router connection NIC is preferred but it can be simply WiFi.

BT in many respects are the best people to contact when you are having problems relating to their services.

Regards,

Tony.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream ?

#6 Rob8UrChips

Rob8UrChips
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2007 - 02:42 AM

Oh dear, oh dear,

After a fresh and clean bootup of both computer and router - I did computer first at 06:09, waited until it had fully booted then switched the router on at the mains - there's a System Log 1007 Dhcp Warning again:

Event Source: Dhcp
Event ID: 1007
Date: 29/09/2007
Time: 06:24:50
Description:
Your computer has automatically configured the IP address for the Network Card with network address [the computers MAC Address]. The IP address being used is [the routers IP rather than the computers IP].
Data:
0000: 00 00 00 00 ....
[my insertions in square brackets above].

5. Should the sick eBeast configure in this way, and if not, what should I do and how should I do it please?

Less than two hours after the 'fresh start' the poor wee soul crashed and on auto reboot dumped this on me:

Event Source: Save Dump
Event ID: 1001
Date: 29/09/2007
Time: 08:00:23
Description:
The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x000000d1 (0x0001d4c0, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0x0001d4c0). Microsoft Windows 2000 [v15.2195]. A dump was saved in: C:\WINNT\Minidump\Mini092907-01.dmp.

Doctor acklan, your patient is passing out and I don't know how to read its dump. Any ideas?

(And if anyone can answer questions 1 to 4 in my first Post and 5 above, that would be awfully helpful too. I need to try and understand what it's trying to tell me).

Thanks.

##########

EDIT & Update:

Poor thing suddenly crashed and rebooted at 09:14 - so this Post should have a new Topic Title that includes "frequent crashing" too.

No Event Viewer entries prior to crash, but 8 System Log entries were generated on the auto-reboot. Please ask if you want to see a full copy of them (I'm conscious of providing too much info in this Topic). In short, and in order of appearance in the Log they are:

1001 Save Dump at 09:14:48 on bootup
6009 eventlog
6005 eventlog
1003 Dhcp at 09:22:55 on opening Firefox
2504 Server
1006 Dhcp
2505 Server, and
8033 Browser at 09:23:47

I then opened the torrent Client, let it start fully, then slowly closed all torrents and applications.
Restarted the router using the 'Hub Manager' program and Shut Down computer until router had full rebooted.
On bootup of computer nothing abnormal in Event Viewer.

Heeeeeelllllllppp!!!

Edited by Rob8UrChips, 29 September 2007 - 04:47 AM.

Rob

#7 Rob8UrChips

Rob8UrChips
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2007 - 05:49 AM

Hi Folks,

Anyone want to help?
Rob

#8 Rob8UrChips

Rob8UrChips
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2007 - 07:07 AM

Hi Folks,

I'm still here, and still need help. Any ideas or answers to my questions?

Has acklan gone on holiday? There's been no further response - so I hope all is well with him/her.
Rob

#9 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 PM

Posted 10 October 2007 - 11:51 AM

This is above my skills, but I can offer you 2 good resources
http://cable-dsl.home.att.net/ a very good troubleshooting guide and FAQ's
http://www.dslreports.com/ another good site that also has forums. I noticed they have a U.K. forum
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#10 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:03 PM

Posted 10 October 2007 - 11:51 PM

Hi, I want to apologize for my absence. Without going into the details, it was unavoidable. Sorry Rob8UrChips

I did some research and found that you may have a corrupted or missing Mrxsmb.sys driver. Here is a Microsoft Knowledge Base Article that is on point.

Windows 2000 Crashes with a "Stop 0x000000d1" Error Message

If this is you problem you may want to start with running System File Checker (Sfc.exe). You will need your Windows 2000 Pro CD to use this utility. It will replace damaged, or missing Windows files.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#11 Rob8UrChips

Rob8UrChips
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2007 - 08:00 AM

Thanks guys - I'll look into ALL of your suggestions with my grateful thanks. :thumbsup:

Us idiots are at a TOTAL loss with you, and any hint is welcome.

There's no need for any apology acklan - I was merely getting concerned that something horrible had happened - so it's good to see you back fit and well, and doing a far better job with the MS KB's than I: they scare me (specially since I don't have a System Disk (the charity thing posted elsewhere)!

As always, I'll post any relevant results for you and others to see. For the meantime though, this thread is closed. Unless.... :huh:

2nd EDIT: I'm going to uninstall my router and security software, and re-install only bits of it.

The first reason is I found something in the registry that was duplicated for the router software, and that might fix the schizoid behaviour that things cannot bind or connect "because a computer with the same name already exists".

Secondly, I never use the option called Yahoo! Online Protection that came with the British Telecom package - so I'll see if I can re-install without that option.

This is gonna take hours - but I'm getting really fed up losing internet connection and/or hanging and/or crashing: all exist at some point almost every day.

If I can get back online at all, I'll Post again later - or maybe MUCH later......

Edited by Rob8UrChips, 12 October 2007 - 04:11 AM.

Rob

#12 Rob8UrChips

Rob8UrChips
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2007 - 06:36 AM

....and so ... MUCH later, I did indeed uninstall all router and security programs, then ran two registry cleaners (which, I know, aren't recommended but I was so desperate for a fix I was willing to risk permanent damage).

When I went to re-install, the free Symantec security package was no longer available so I had 'only' the router software to get from British Telecom. And clearing out Symantec freed up over 2GB of my paltry 8GB HDD.

Got the router back up and running, got various free security/anti-virus packages and crossed my fingers, legs and eyes in the hope things would all work OK.

As you can see from my last Post 6 weeks ago, I've since been testing out how things run as well as new software - and I'm pleased to report that gutting out the C-drive and re-installing the router software has worked better than any and all expectations.

To date, I still don't know specifically what the source of the problems were - but strongly suspect that a year of Symantec's daily anti-virus updates jeopardised my fragile system as it alone took up over a quarter of my HDD - but it may not have been!!!

I still have stubborn bits of Symantec/Norton lurking in the system causing the Event Viewer System Log to create one error per boot-up. But it doesn't seem to cause any noticeable problem so I can live with that (although suggestions for a full clean-up would be good :thumbsup: ).

To summarize the solution to this thread:

1. Try simple fixes first without losing too much hair;
2. Keep a diary of what you change and what happened;
3. Prior to pulling out your hair, do a FULL uninstall of ALL affected software once
you've identified where to get replacement software for re-installation;
4. The amount of time and hassle it takes to uninstall then re-install is NOTHING
compared to the time and heartache trying to research and fix a persistent problem.

My thanks go to ALL contributors to this thread. Your efforts and understanding are appreciated.

:huh:
Rob

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users