Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How To Install

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 MattV

MattV

• Members
  • 736 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 AM

Posted 27 September 2007 - 06:16 PM

I didn't really want to start a new thread for this, but after I searched* all over the forums - after first trying to figure it out for myself - I'll here to ask a question that will probably be ansered with a single post. Actually, two questions.

How do I install .rpm files? And do they have to be in the root directory to do it?

One night I was using alien -i [path/filename] to try and install something, and I was having no success. As an experiment, I copied the file to the rott directory and presto! no problem. The problem with that approach is that I don't think it's a good idea to download everything I might want to play with to /root. I'd much rather put downloads in a folder named something like "Downloads" and work with them from there.

But, anyways, what do I do with .rpm files?

* I had no success. The search function rejected every variant of "install .rpm" I could think of. Doesn't like the "*" character, or anything else I tried.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 AM

Posted 27 September 2007 - 07:56 PM

Depends on the Distro. on Debian Based Distros you have to use "alien" to convert them to .deb files. Basic usage of alien works like this
Ubuntu example
sudo alien -d /directory/tree/package.rpm

Standard "Root user" Linux Example
:flowers:
Su
Insert root password
:thumbsup:
alien -d /directory/tree/package.rpm

after alien spits out the *.deb file. Right click the icon ans select "Install with Insert package manager name"
If your using a RedHat Linux derivative (RPM=Redhat Package Manager) just right click the icon that you downloaded and select "Install with Insert package manager name"

If you dont know feel free to ask

BTW -d is how alien knows to spit out a .deb file

Posted Image

#3 MattV

MattV
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 736 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 AM

Posted 28 September 2007 - 11:07 AM

Depends on the Distro. on Debian Based Distros you have to use "alien" to convert them to .deb files. ... BTW -d is how alien knows to spit out a .deb file

OK, thanks. I was using alien -i, because that's what the installation instruction said to do*, but this way makes more sense. I did manage to get it to give me an error message about creating a <filename>.deb file. At that time I was trying it under "fakeroot". They procedure you've outlined will probably solve the problem.

* Sometimes you're better off ignoring instructions. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users