Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Right Click Save As - Pc Locking Up.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 scotjohn

scotjohn

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 PM

Posted 27 September 2007 - 01:37 PM

Help !!! whenever I right click on an image whilst browsing the net and choose the " save picture as " option my pc will lock up, will then get a message saying non responsive programme and then a choice off sending the error to microsoft.

have tried eveything to remedy this problem, have ran all virus detection, spyware removers, etc, etc etc !! but the problem is still there.

did have this very same problem before and a little internet research revealed that one off the KB windows update files when used in conjunction with HP computers was said to cause this very problem, uninstalled this file and the problem did indeed dissapear but months later I have the problem all over again, have looked thru my add / remove programmes list and this particular KB file is not actually within so not sure where to turn next ??!!

anyone came across this very same problem before and managed to find out what was actually causing this ?? the pc is working perfectly in all other respects but would love to find a cure for this above problem.

anyone offer and advice ?? would be so much appreciatted !!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 PM

Posted 27 September 2007 - 01:53 PM

Which browser do you use?
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 scotjohn

scotjohn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2007 - 03:04 PM

Which browser do you use?
Mark

Sorry should have mentioned that, its internet explorer

#4 WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• Members
  • 265 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2007 - 04:25 PM

Hi scotjohn.

It's quite possible that this update was downloaded and installed again automatically. This would happen if you have Automatic updates turned on and when you uintalled it back then you did not tell Automatic Updates to never install it again.

The only way I know to get a particular update to never be installed is to set Automatic Updates to "Download but let me chhose when to install them". When that yellow shield appears (You Have Updates Ready to be Installed) in the System Tray you can double-click it to choose to look at all the updates that are waiting. You need to review each list and pick out the offending update if it is there. You can set it's status to not be installed at that time. At that point AU will pop up a box where you will have the option to tell AU to never install that update.

Perhaps there is an easier way to do this same thing, but at least this way works. I needed to keep IE7 from being installed and this method worked out fine. All other updates have been downloaded just fine.

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 PM

Posted 27 September 2007 - 04:51 PM

Try disabling Add-ons one at a time. Maybe one of those are messing with you. Go to Tools> Manage Add-ons
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#6 scotjohn

scotjohn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2007 - 01:42 AM

Try disabling Add-ons one at a time. Maybe one of those are messing with you. Go to Tools> Manage Add-ons
Mark

Great stuff guys really do appreciatte your very helpful advice at least its gave me ideas on something else I can try to hopefully get rid off this annoying problem once again !!

am going to try this tools- manage add ons idea first, I take it if I disable eack enty it is just that disabling rather than actually getting rid off that particular add on ?? ie I will be able to click the disabled entry to come back again ?

bit confused if someone could just offer a bit off assurance , dont want to make things any worse !!

thanks again for now folks.

#7 WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• Members
  • 265 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2007 - 06:41 AM

You'll see that it just disables that add-on and puts it on the Disabled list. You can re-enable it at any time later.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users