Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hd Diagnostic Error Code

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 kitkinnison

kitkinnison

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 AM

Posted 27 September 2007 - 11:07 AM

I just ran the Dell diagnostics (f12 at startup) on my Latitude d600

During the read test, I got: Error Code 0F00:0244
block 6464810 data error or write protected

What in fact should I do about that?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 PM

Posted 27 September 2007 - 11:32 AM

http://hardware.mcse.ms
More likely than not, your hard drive is going bad
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 kitkinnison

kitkinnison
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2007 - 11:46 AM

Mkay.

I'm abroad (until december) which makes replacing the HD not really feasible.

That being said; what can I do to minimize the damage this can do? I ran chkdsk a few days ago and it didn't even find this problem, so I think I need an other solution.

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2007 - 12:11 PM

The diagnostic program for your hard drive will do a better check than Windows chkdisk. Try defraging it also
Mark
Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2007 - 12:58 PM

You can try running SpinRite on it (you can download a copy from the web - but it costs about $69 US) to see if that'll help out. But if the hard drive is headed south, the only thing that you can do is to backup your data. That way you won't lose everything when it dies.

FWIW - you can sometimes purchase a hard drive with the OS installed from Dell. Installing it is fairly easy, and with the OS set on the drive you can set it up without going through a major ordeal.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 kitkinnison

kitkinnison
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2007 - 01:33 PM

It normally wouldn't be a major ordeal.......................but I'm in Egypt, which I suspect makes things much harder.

#7 kitkinnison

kitkinnison
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2007 - 01:56 PM

As I understand it (until the drive just fails) the main problem is that when the drive tries to read the bad sector, it'll slow the machine down a lot.

Is there any way to isolate the sector, or have the drive not read it....or something?

thanks

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,870 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 PM

Posted 27 September 2007 - 05:32 PM

http://64.233.169.104/search?q=cache:1YMVF...;cd=4&gl=us

As for the difficulty of getting a second/replacement drive...has the mail stopped working to places like Egypt? What's wrong with the idea of having a friend (or enemy) purchase a drive for you and ship same via mail or whatever?

Louis

#9 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2007 - 07:07 PM

http://64.233.169.104/search?q=cache:1YMVF...;cd=4&gl=us

As for the difficulty of getting a second/replacement drive...has the mail stopped working to places like Egypt? What's wrong with the idea of having a friend (or enemy) purchase a drive for you and ship same via mail or whatever?

Louis

I don't know about Egypt, but my uncle was in Saudi Arabia. It took forever to receive any package through the mail. If he comes home in December, he might be better off waiting.He might get an old broken one in it's place.
Mark

Edited by garmanma, 27 September 2007 - 07:09 PM.

Mark
Posted Image

#10 kitkinnison

kitkinnison
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2007 - 07:11 AM

Yeah...shipping can be incredibly slow, and there's customs issues--even if it gets let through, I think there's like an 80% duty or something similarly ridiculous

#11 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2007 - 08:03 AM

It also depends what's popular on the black market. Lee-brand jeans were popular back then. Customs could smell them
Mark
Mark
Posted Image

#12 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2007 - 09:25 AM

I shipped an old computer to South Africa not long ago (a Pentium 2 system) - and customs charged a $400 import fee, even though the recipient claimed it was her property originally. I also had a PalmPilot shipped to me in Germany about 10 years ago - the customs office wanted over 50% of the cost as duty - it took forever to convince them that I wasn't a German citizen and wasn't subject to the import tax!

From that point on, I only shipped to US post offices (I was in the Army and had access to the APO system).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#13 kitkinnison

kitkinnison
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2007 - 10:25 AM

Exactly.

Is the lack of other comments an indication that there is not in fact a way to isolate/not use that sector?

#14 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2007 - 10:44 AM

As we don't know what's causing the problem with the sector, that's difficult to tell. Have you run chkdsk /f /r on the volume? It should be able to mark the offending sectors as bad - but this won't help if the hard drive is indeed dying.

The most miraculous cures that I've seen from bad hard drives have been from SpinRite ( http://www.grc.com/sr/spinrite.htm ) I just checked the site and the price is now $89 US. Well worth it if it revives your drive, but not much can be done if the drive is truly dying (and for $89 you can get a replacement drive from an online vendor).

#15 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,870 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 PM

Posted 28 September 2007 - 01:37 PM

Well...in light of all the negative comments re shipping parts :thumbsup:...I will only say that customs rules only apply to residents of that particular country.

Off to another topic...

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users