Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Slows If I Play Video Files

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 phantom_18

phantom_18

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 PM

Posted 27 September 2007 - 10:53 AM

Hi guys/girls

I'm having this problem..Every time when i play a video file. My computer just goes very slow. So slow that i have to restart it. It doesnt matter wich player i use. All come out with the same result (slow computer).You dont see or hear the file that im playing. If i highlight anything when it goes slow. It takes 5 seconds to see the highlight go on.
My computer is a 2.8 Ghz; 1 GB ram;256 mb gforce 6200; Asus P4P800SX motherboard.
It just annoys me that i have to goto another computer to play my vids.
Can anyone recognize this problem?
If i right click on Avi files: i also have an option to play it on a Acer AL1715 ; Wich is not mine. The computer repair man needed to repair windows when my video card was broken. So i think he linked it to his laptop to work on it.

If i forgot anything, let me know...

Thanks in advance

Edited by phantom_18, 27 September 2007 - 11:30 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 phantom_18

phantom_18
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2007 - 12:31 PM

Ok. I just tested it in Safe Mode. And the videos i have play fine on Safe mode. With the default monitor.
Could it be that my videocard has the problem?
I installed the drivers for it.

#3 Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 AM

Posted 27 September 2007 - 12:54 PM

Try testing in a "clean boot" configuration:

Run msconfig and select the "Services" tab. Check "Hide Microsoft Services" and then disable the rest. Also uncheck "load startup group" on the general page.

See this link for detailed information:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;EN-US;310353
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Now restart and test the issue at hand

If no problems, run msconfig and recheck half the disabled items on the Services tab. Test again. If the problem recurs, UNcheck half the items you just checked to narrow down the culprit.

If the problem didn't occur, check the other half, so all the Services are enabled -- proceed to do this on the startup tab as well.

Get the idea? You want to isolate the problem to a specific startup if possible.

Note: if you already have items unchecked under msconfig > startups and are in “selective” startup mode – you should note what these are before beginning. They will need to be de-selected again.
Microsoft MVP Shell/User

#4 phantom_18

phantom_18
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2007 - 01:13 PM

I disabled everything. And the problem still occurs.
Thanks for that advice.. I appreciate it
It could be my videocard. because when i run nvidia control panel.run display configuration wizard. It says "geforce 6200"(Acer AL1715).
Does it try to run my video files on a Laptop? Because my mp3 files work fine.

Thanks

#5 Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 AM

Posted 28 September 2007 - 06:24 PM

Is hardware acceleration enabled? This should be an option on the "Troubleshoot" tab of your display properties > advanced menu.

I don't see how the monitor would affect this -- but it could be a display driver issue -- so you should look to reinstall those with updated versions if available.

Attached Files

Edited by Rollin' Rog, 28 September 2007 - 06:26 PM.

Microsoft MVP Shell/User

#6 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 AM

Posted 01 October 2007 - 12:34 AM

Open up Task Manager and then play a video file. What process(es) are using all your CPU while the video is playing?
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users