Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

The Future of Windows CD: Longhorn

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 The Trip

The Trip

• Members
  • 244 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 AM

Posted 09 February 2005 - 06:51 PM

Windows new OS is codenamed longhorn.
I did a Google Image Google Image Search for it.
I saw that it has a much better look than XP did, I did an image search for it because my friend said he downloaded the Theme Package for it, but all the ones I where able to find where 3rd party creations, not the real thing. However there are pictures of it.

http://i.i.com.com/cnwk.1d/sc/21008729-2-300-SS1.gif

Thats the only one that I can say for sure is the real deal, it was an image on CNET.

http://reviews.cnet.com/Microsoft_Windows_...-2.html?tag=tab

I heared that it is going to be realeased in 64 and 32 bit versions
I also hear that it will have a whole new file system, but thats about it.

What are your opinons on the new look?

Also what do you think/know LONGHORNs new features and things should/will be?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 AM

Posted 09 February 2005 - 07:02 PM

That's a good read, The Trip
more said about Longhorn in that short
article than I've read before.

Interesting, expecially the new File System.
GUI is kinda hard for me to comment on,
but it looks promising. :thumbsup:
patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#3 jpbc9999

jpbc9999

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2005 - 09:52 PM

Why dosent wintdows give it up. They should remain on one template for a decade. Windows this that and any more means $$$ out of our pockets...for what. So BB can better watch what we do online?...So we can have a new OS packed with problems to get migrains about?...Just to pack more info on to challenge the current processor speed? Not sure where windows thought they were going after win 98. They could have stuck with that for a lot longer. But no...they wanted our cash. LMAO. Its a scam!

#4 twinsdad

twinsdad

• Members
  • 411 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2005 - 10:16 PM

This is a great topic, even for a super-non-geek like me. I've got a six year old Compaq running W98SE. I messed it up bad, BC put it back on track again and now I'm firewalled and using malware software to help keep it OK. Also only using Firefox to avoid IE altogether.

Before finding BC, I thought I would just have to buy a new puter with XP, but all I heard about was problems with XP, especially with SP2 (or whatever they call it). Just read the other day about another half-dozen (or more) patches needed to keep XP somewhat safe. The problems I read about on the XP board here at BC tell me I'm lucky to have W98. So why on earth would I now even think about a new OS from MS unless I was also considering buying a second Yugo automobile? :thumbsup:
"Love to eat them mousies, mousies what I like to eat; bite they little heads off, nibble on they tiny feet". B. Kliban

#5 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 AM

Posted 09 February 2005 - 10:26 PM

Bill says this:

By the time Longhorn ships, according to Microsoft chairman Bill Gates, PCs will have 4GHz to 6GHz processors, more than 2GB of memory, at least a terabyte of storage, and graphics accelerators three times more powerful than those offered by ATI and Nvidia today. He says that Longhorn is designed to take advantage of all this muscle, and nowhere is that more evident than in the in the rich, three-dimensional interface known as Aero.

Three dimentional GUI.

While it will be compatible with today's applications, Longhorn will change everything about the OS, from the way the desktop looks to how you store and retrieve files to how your PC is safeguarded.

That may prove intriguing.

Nine months. til 2006. :thumbsup:
patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#6 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 PM

Posted 09 February 2005 - 11:09 PM

Phawgg I was about to say the same thing!

Right now I read that the fastest CPU world record was almost 7ghz! But they (a team of kids and a can of liquid nitrogen) put this thing together with no case on there table.

They got a normal 2.5ghz cpu by intel I think and added more and more volts all while using that big can of liquid nitrogen around the CPU to make sure it was going to stay cool and not blow up.

What gets me is how can we run a cpu much faster with these cooling fans we have? I mean what now with new 6ghz cpu's they are going to make us by cans of liquid nitrogen from Bill gates himself? Sounds rather expensive.

I can believe the 2gb of ram and a terabyte or hard drive space they already have that.

My motherboard will take 4gb of ram and I might one day do it too!

But in 9months get a stable cool running 6ghz cpu is not possible that I see.

Computers are getting so fast and so good im waiting for robots next. I know they have them and I wish I had the chance to work with the team that makes them.

As one person wrote on a pre-review on longhorn "To much fluff"

Its true why on earth can we not be happy with one setup. Like they plan to change everything we have ever learned on all MS operating systems before.

This is said to be 100% different.

Just more to learn I say. I hope they have a demo thats free. I plan to if they do get another small hard drive and do a test run.

This is neat "future computers"
http://www.pd.org/topos/perforations/perf2...e_computer.html

Very good topic here!

I just don't know.....I hope they will not replace us like robots in the I-Robot movie!

#7 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2005 - 12:03 AM

From what I've read about Longhorn, it won't take a 6 or 7 gig processor, but it will take just about the fastest computers currently in use. The 3-D windows seem like a real flashy trick, but geez, we have enough trouble keeping things running now.

If somebody could just build a strong, easy-to-use operating system, that would run programs and not crash, they'd really have something. But bloating the thing up so that it's so complex that 90% of the features go unused by 99% of the people doesn't seem like the right direction to me. If they could just fix the operating systems they've made so far, they'd be doing something useful.

But then, I put off buying Windows 3.1 for a long time because DOS was so much better . . . :-)

#8 jpbc9999

jpbc9999

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2005 - 09:49 AM

I think Mr gates is counting on a 64 bit type chip. I think they use them in video game processors already. Im not sure if i'm right...but I think we're chuggin away on 32 bit chips....don't matter how fast you crankem...they can only take one small bite at a time. That new OS sounds awsome...but I hope we don't end up bathing ourchips in liquid nitrogen and methamphetimine to be able to run it. lol. I might be a bit off track....maybe we do have them already.

#9 The Trip

The Trip
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 244 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2005 - 11:28 AM

I seriosly hope this picture is faked

Here

They will ruin themselvs if they do that....it would be extremely annoying.

Also, I would rather windows downsize thier current OS..->XP, Do like console making companines, make a smaller more compact version that doesnt take up as much system rescources, because I think most of us here would agree, that we have as much as our systems power devoted to our applications, and no the OS, do something like Damn Small Linux....but not as small.

#10 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2005 - 12:08 AM

No, I don't think the picture is faked. That's one of the supposedly nifty features. You can flip the windows over and look at the back side of them, which of course has different contents.

And JPBC, AMD has been making 64-bit chips for a while. Intel is having a hard time getting their 64-bit chips to do much more than cook breakfast, last I checked. The problem is, there is no current software that I'm aware of that takes advantage of the 64-bit instruction set. Once the software makers catch up, computers will get much faster.

#11 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2005 - 12:41 AM

Me to herk! I agree on the system speeding up once we can use the 64bit part!

Are you sure there is no 64bit programs I can try free? I want to try out my new 64bit AMD CPU I got in my new custom built by me pc.

If there is send it to me on a pm. Or post it here. Not to get off topic all just wanted to ask.

Longhorn will as it looks so far to be a bigger resources hog than XP or any previous Windows system.

#12 Izzy

Izzy

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2005 - 12:48 AM

Would we be able to upgrade our computers to Windows "Codename" Longhorn when it is released (if we already have XP SP2?)
Considering a screenshot given by "Herk" with a system property box open on it with a 2.17Ghz CPU and 512mb ram. i hace a 3D video thingy. and my CPU is 3Ghz. i have 512mb ram.
Can't wait for it to come out. but i don't want a new computer just yet.only got last year and it will be out next year so it'll be 2 years old then. i would like to keep my pc another 2 years before i get a new one.

#13 jpbc9999

jpbc9999

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2005 - 05:48 PM

Wow...so amd beat intel too it. Thats funny. Where can you get ona these chips and what can you do witht hem if nothing is written for it. Can it still be used for todays software? I dunno.

#14 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2005 - 06:25 PM

THere are many places to get the chips. They are expensive though if you get them off ebay.

Go here http://www.newegg.com Look for there AMD 64 CPU.

There is a few programs written for them! I found a few and am going to try them soon. It would be smart to get a pc with 64bit cpu because according to gates we will have tons of software for it soon.

It will work with all of todays software yes. While using todays software it will be working in 32bit mode.

#15 The Trip

The Trip
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 244 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2005 - 09:53 PM

Izzy.
You would have to go out and buy it, it wouldnt be available in an update
which sucks I know. But there gonna rob us 200-300$$

0 user(s) are reading this topic