Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Email And Word Problem In Xp

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 nixgod

nixgod

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 PM

Posted 27 September 2007 - 10:25 AM

I was asked to look at a computer for a fiend of my mom's. they have a windows xp computer and a windows 98 computer. a couple of years ago someone networked to 2 computers for them usinf a crossover cable. Basicly they were using the 98 computer to back up files. they have an issue were they have to start the win98 computer first then start the xp computer to be able to use word or send email. if they start just the xp computer it does not work. they want to get rid of the 98 comouter but can't because of this problem. I went over once and looked at it. I did not see any shaing issues with between the 2 computers. I had both computers booted up and removed the network cable and everthing worke fine. i left the cable unplugged and rebooted the xp machine and it seemed to work fine then. They turned the comouter off over night and startde it up in the morning and the problem came back. i am at a lost on this one

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 PM

Posted 27 September 2007 - 12:27 PM

I don't understand completely Is one machine hooked up to the net with a NIC card/LAN connection, then it has a 2nd NIC card and cross-over cable to the other machine? Which machine is hooked up to the provider's modem? This is where I get confused:
"I had both computers booted up and removed the network cable and everthing worke fine. i left the cable unplugged and rebooted the xp machine and it seemed to work fine then."

You left the network cable unplugged and it worked. How is this possible with no connection?
Mark

Edited by garmanma, 27 September 2007 - 12:29 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 nixgod

nixgod
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2007 - 06:38 AM

the two computers are linked by a crossover cable. when i disconnected the crossover cable between the 2 comptuers word and email was still working. after the person turned off the computer for the night the next day when they booted up word and email did not work again. they had to connect the other computer back in and boot them both up. to get it working again. they can still get online either way.

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2007 - 07:57 AM

Is the cross-over cable just used to transfer files? Are you using a router? If you remove the cross-over cable, how is the second computer connected to the internet to receive email?
Mark
Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#5 nixgod

nixgod
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2007 - 09:51 AM

The xp computer is the only computer connected to the internet. the win98 computer is just being used to back up files. ther is no router in the mix. THe win98 computer does not have an internet connection. the xp computer is the one that has problems with word and email when the win98 computer is turned off. after U ahd booted them both up i disconnected the cable goign to the win 98 computer and the xp computer still worked. It seems that something is happening after the compuer is shutdown and restarted that is not working right because of the need for that win 98 computer to be running also.

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2007 - 10:08 AM

I should have asked if your email client is Outlook or Outlook Express. I think when they transfered some files, they accidentally moved a file necessary to open the applications. Try turning off the 98 computer and run the repair option for office and see what happens
This link's for 2000, but it the same for others
http://office.microsoft.com Also has Office been updated recently?
Mark
Mark
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users