Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ram Allocation And Identificatio Problems

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 flippintreeko

flippintreeko

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 AM

Posted 27 September 2007 - 07:26 AM

I use an older (5-6 years) windows XPmachine of my partners and have recently started playing an online card game (MTGO). I used the "system properties" to ascertain the amount of RAM available before downloading the base program from 'wizards of the coast'. I was surprised that although the system recognized it had 224Mb of RAM that playing online required the computer to use 'virtual memory' to run online play, even though in task manager the MTGO application never required more than 120Mb. So I shrugged my shoulders being a techno n00b and carried on. Today, the day after MTGO upated itself from the wizards site (it does so every 7 days) I had some problems with lag and decided to check the memory usage with task manager and found that , and maybe this is a misunderstanding on my part that the "commit charge" is running at about 170,000k while the total processes is only 70,000k. Should there be direct correlation between the stack of figures and that one displayed in the lower righthand corner?? I'm getting more windows warnings about the need to expand the virtual memory whilst playing online. My partner has reported some problems shutting the computer down, i.e. it hangs at the "windows is shutting down" screen indefinitley and the HD still spins until it gets the 'one finger salute'. Is there other applications that could be running that task manager wont show? Cheers.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 AM

Posted 27 September 2007 - 08:34 AM

Virtual memory is generally used after all the physical memory (RAM) is used. Some programs (particularly games) will require a pagefile to operate.

Here's a link to the definition of commit charge: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commit_charge
With the issues with shutdown and the issues with virual memory during the game, I'd suspect that some program isn't shutting down gracefully - and it's causing these other issues. I'd start by uninstalling the online card game and installing a freshly downloaded copy. If that doesn't fix things, let us know and we can try some other things.

FWIW - 224 mB of RAM just isn't enough for a mature copy of XP to run effectively. I'd also strongly recommend adding another 256 mB (although adding 512 mB would be much, much better)
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• Members
  • 265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 AM

Posted 27 September 2007 - 12:51 PM

Hi flippintreeko.

You can use this online memory scanner from Crucial (a reputable, if expensive company) to find compatible memory modules for your particular PC.

Crucial Memory Scanner

There are other companies that have online scanners, to. I think all good memory companies manufacturers have a way to identify what models of their memory are compatible with your PC.

Try these companies, too:
G.Skill
Mushkin
Kingston
Patriot
Geil
Corsair

Use Google to locate the manufacturers' web sites by using a search phrase such as "G.Skill memory", e.g. (use no quotes). As long as a company says that a particular memory module is compatible with your exact computer model then you should have no problems with it. Sometimes people have problems when mixing the old RAM with the new - be prepared for the possiblility of having to remove the old modules and put all new memory in. This doesn't happen often, but it does happen sometimes.
______________________________-
I forgot to say that memory prices are at an all-time low. You may as well buy a single 1GB (gigabyte ) module for about $50-$75 USD.

Edited by WinCrazy, 27 September 2007 - 12:55 PM.

#4 flippintreeko

flippintreeko
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 AM

Posted 27 September 2007 - 07:08 PM

I have tried as you suggested (cheers BTW) to uninstall not only the MTGO game but also anything else installed over the past few days. I have an IP wireless modem and recently installed mozilla firefox. The wireless modem wouldn't let me remove it from the add/remove software in the control panel it just repeatedly gave a run dll error, after tech support I could only remove it by using the original installation disk, (which confused the tech guy), mozilla was no problem. However the MTGO program also refused to be removed. When using add/remove in the control panel the change/remove button does nothing, the box blinks then reappears and thats all. Rebooting the computer appears to be adding 30,000k to the commit charge and the last time I restarted it the first attempt gave me "NTLDR is missing". I am concerned that I may have 'broken' (the technical term being shafted?) the pc and am on the edge of just coughing up for a visit to the pc doctor. Is it getting into 'shafted' territory?

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2007 - 07:20 PM

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000465.htm: NTLDR is missing. Make sure you didn't leave any disk in the machine. Try uninstalling in safemode. Or try an uninstaller program like this one:
http://www.tucows.com
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2007 - 08:52 AM

In short, we can fix almost anything that the PC Doctor can fix

Our benefits are that we're free, we've got a broad base of experiences to draw from, and your participation in the repair process will increase your ability to deal with future issues on your own. Our "guarantee" is that if the fixes we suggest don't work, then we'll suggest more stuff! :thumbsup: The drawback is that you've gotta do all the work yourself and wait for responses from us.

I recommend these forums to people who come to my shop and can't afford our fees. But the benefit of my shop is primarily that it's a "fire and forget" solution - you just drop your computer off with us, we fix it, and we call you when it's done.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users