Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable To Boot

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 JackTheHaack

JackTheHaack

• Members
  • 307 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 PM

Posted 27 September 2007 - 07:01 AM

I'm running XP Pro and came home this afternoon to find my comp had tried to re-boot itself only to hang during the boot stage.

It gives one normal beeb and gets as far as recognising the drives and then I just get a flashing curser underneith and there it stays.

Anybody got any ideas please ?

Cheers

Jack :thumbsup:
JTH

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 AM

Posted 27 September 2007 - 08:28 AM

Here's a link from Microsoft on how to start troubleshooting it: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314503
There may be other causes, but this is (IMO) the first place to start.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,569 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 AM

Posted 27 September 2007 - 05:43 PM

Computers try to reboot...if the user has the default option to reboot when a BSOD occurs.

I would take a look at Black Screen (fixmbr) - http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;314503 .

Louis

#4 JackTheHaack

JackTheHaack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 307 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2007 - 06:42 PM

Thanks guys,

I'll tack a look this afternoon when I get home.

Sorry, I should have been a bit more specific too - It's when it POST's that the maching hangs - but I guess you figured that eh? :thumbsup:

Cheers

Jack
JTH

#5 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2007 - 08:34 AM

Nope, it's just that the "hang" is a common fault that Microsoft has identified. If it "hangs" early on in the POST then that would be a different issue from it's hanging later on in the POST (if it's indeed during POST and not actually during the transfer of control from the BIOS to the OS).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,569 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2007 - 03:51 PM

The only time I see systems hang during posts...there are issues with connection or drives. Might want to check all your drive connections and BIOS recognition of drives installed.

Louis

#7 JackTheHaack

JackTheHaack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 307 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2007 - 08:50 PM

Ok. Thanks guys. Now I'm a little more informed after reading this.

This isn't the problem. It's hanging earlier than the MBR kicking in.

It's hanging just after the BIOS recognises the drives before it goes into the MBR stage.

I created the XP Boot floppy as instructed, but it doesn't get to the stage where it starts it's boot sequence. It hangs just before.
JTH

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2007 - 07:39 PM

I would have a look at the mobo to check for bad caps ( http://www.badcaps.net ), and then would start with these suggestions for a system stripdown: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/70216/hardware-troubleshooting-via-system-stripdown/

You'll have to skip the portions that you can't run (up to about step 5). Once you're able to boot from a disk, then run the tests starting from the beginning.

#9 JackTheHaack

JackTheHaack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 307 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2007 - 02:57 PM

Thanks usasma.
Been away for a few days - I'll have a look at this tonight and let you know.

Cheers....
JTH

#10 JackTheHaack

JackTheHaack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 307 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2007 - 05:07 PM

John,

After reading your link to "BadCaps" I just had a quick look at the caps on my board. Bingo - one of the caps has blown it's bottom out.

Problem solved. Dead board.

WoHoo, now I can tell the wife about my new upgrade !! :thumbsup: :trumpet: :flowers:

Thanks for all your help. Would never have thought to look there - actually, I never knew about this failure till now so I've learnt something new.

Thanks again mate.

Cheers
JTH

#11 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2007 - 07:11 PM

Basically, the stuff in the system stripdown guide is for functioning systems - it sorta runs outta gas when trying to deal with severly borked systems. So, that being the case, it was likely that there was a deep hardware issue that most of the stripdown wouldn't reveal - and those areas are the one's that are left when you completely strip the system down (generally the PSU, mobo, and CPU).

Although bad capacitors aren't as common as they used to be - they still do pop up (or should I say "blow out"?) on occasion. I'd also suggest checking to see if the bad caps may be covered by some sort of warranty by the manufacturer.

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,569 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2007 - 04:38 PM

Well done, USASMA :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users