Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Purging Memory In Task Manager

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 driver33b

driver33b

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 PM

Posted 27 September 2007 - 05:44 AM

Hi all, Just a quick question that may be easily answered. I usually run Firefox but it has been crashing out so have reverted back to IE7...I'm a P4 2.8ghz 2gb ram.....IF I rack up 20-30 open pages, memory creeps up tp 700mb in the TM...to a point where I can't use the r/h mouse to do anything....if I go and clear a dozen pages the options return but sluggish.....if I close all open applications the memory usage in TM remains the same....in the Processes tab the Idle is at 98%....I have run HJT with nothing abnormal seen, CCleaner, Registry Booster2, Spybot S&D and defrag.....(I do these reasonably often)....I have recently installed Vista Inspirat 2....I really hope it is not that because I love it ! If I re-boot it comes back with 320mb (EDIT 271mb) and 2% CPU usage at idle.....which I think is reasonable(????)... Is there a simple way of purging the memory out of the Task Manager without re-booting? Thanks in advance.

Edited by driver33b, 27 September 2007 - 06:41 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 AM

Posted 27 September 2007 - 08:27 AM

The CPU column refers to what the CPU is using, while the Memory column refers to what the RAM is using. It appears from your description that something is not releasing the memory that it was using. What processes continue to consume memory after you lcose all the open applications?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 driver33b

driver33b
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2007 - 01:55 AM

Hi, Thanks for the reply.....it is iexplore.exe Doesn't sound like a 'genuine' M$ application does it? Do you have any info on this fella? EDIT =added> I loaded up 20 pages both IE and FFox, WM11, MSN Live Mess and M$ outlook AND Google Earth.....racked up 1.4g of ram and had no probs. navagating using the right hand side of the mouse....when I removed all apps. I was left with 413mb in memory use at idle.....32,766 of mem for iexplore and 26194 for explorer.exe...these are the largest users. NB no other apps in use.

Edited by driver33b, 28 September 2007 - 03:04 AM.

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2007 - 09:11 AM

Search your system for instances of iexplore.exe - it depends on where it's located if it's legitimate or not (the legitimate version is the main executable for Internet Explorer). FWIW - the more open pages, the more memory will be consumed - if it doesn't decrease when you close it, then there's a problem with it (for example, if you close Internet Explorer and iexplore.exe is still running - then there's a problem with Internet Explorer).

The same goes for explorer.exe - it depends on where it's located. The legitimate version is what runs your desktop and Windows Explorer.

The generally accepted fix for issues with IE7 is to uninstall it (and it'll revert to IE6). To fix IE6, the "cure" is to uninstall Service Pack 2 and then reinstall it.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 driver33b

driver33b
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2007 - 03:48 PM

Thanks John....It's one of those things that can be easily avoided by limiting the pages open...if I modify my habits and turn the PC off every couple of days will make it a lot easier to live with.....if there was an easy way to purge that 'stored' memory it would be easier....I have searched for the iexplore.exe but the 'new' Desktop M$ search facility does not allow you to search just c:/ anymore, so I may have to fiddle there too.

Thanks again for your help....I will let you know what I 'sorted'. Cheers.

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2007 - 06:47 PM

The "trick" to clear the memory is to restart the system - this'll reset everything to default.

I agree that the search function isn't the easiest thing to deal with - but you can click on Advanced Search and then can include any criteria that you'd like - just be sure to include "search in unindexed locations" so you'll get everything.

#7 driver33b

driver33b
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2007 - 06:27 AM

Thanks for the help and interest John. As I stated right from thre start I thought there may be an easy way to purge the load.....one good thing came out of the question though....I seemed to be loaded up on the iexplore.exe app., this in fact was happening with a marketing/malware tracker....M$ picked is up but would/could not remove/quarantine, so I had to run it in Safe mode to remove....FTR it was "Marketscore.B" and "WhenU.SaveNow" the 1st one was flagged as "high" but transformed to 'cookie' status when searched at M$ with "low risk" attached. The 2nd one was "medium" risk.

All clear now, my biggest silent runners are the GoogleToolBarNotifier.exe; GoogleSearchUpdater and Messenger/Outlook which all tap away senting packets out.

Thanks again for your help and patience. Tony. Edit: I just read your signiture....I love C4...I've cooked many a brew and dinner with it in SVN.

Edited by driver33b, 05 October 2007 - 06:33 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users