Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Usb Drivers

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 thrillhouse

thrillhouse

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 PM

Posted 26 September 2007 - 11:34 PM

Anything I plug into any usb on my new computer says cannot install new hardware. I'm trying to use a usb optical mouse. When I choose reinstall driver in device manager, I get the same cannot install new hardware. I tried deleting the usb controllers and rebooting; the controllers came back but no luck. The mouse works fine on other computers and lights up when the bios of mine is loading. What is going on? How do I fix this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 PM

Posted 27 September 2007 - 01:20 AM

Have you looked in the BIOS to make sure that the USB mouse is enabled there?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 wenming

wenming

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 AM

Posted 27 September 2007 - 02:35 AM

What os do you use? Win XP?
Have you try to reinstall the os?

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2007 - 08:22 AM

First try manually removing any traces of the mouse drivers from your file system and registry (BACKUP your stuff first - you can easily hose things when deleting files and registry entries).
Next try updating your motherboard/chipset drivers from the manufacturer's website.
Next try SFC.EXE: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/43051/how-to-use-sfcexe-to-repair-system-files/
Next try a repair install of XP: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 thrillhouse

thrillhouse
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2007 - 05:35 PM

usb and legacy support are enabled. The pc is an hp and didn't come with any recovery or xp cd's, you have to burn them yourself and I don't have the cd's. Any other ideas? I was toying with the idea of getting an external hard drive and put all my stuff on there, then reformat to factory goodness. Thanks for the ideas, please keep them coming.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 PM

Posted 27 September 2007 - 05:50 PM

Your chip may be bad, can be overcome by just installing a PC card (not expensive) for USB capability. Such things happen.

The fact that you state that nothing works in any USB port...suggests such to me.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 27 September 2007 - 05:51 PM.

#7 thrillhouse

thrillhouse
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2007 - 06:33 PM

I hope thats not the case because the computer is only a month old if that. I guess I'll call hp if I can't figure it out.

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2007 - 08:32 AM

By all means get it repaired under warranty if possible. The drawback is that you'll lose the PC for a while so they can diagnose the problem and then either fix it or give you a new PC. If you bought it from a local retailer, see what they can do for you.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 thrillhouse

thrillhouse
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2007 - 08:50 AM

I bought it from hp directly, with 4 years of parts and labor coverage as well as tech support (which is worthless). I am a little apprehensive to go without my new computer for a while and to have hp rooting through my personal files but I guess I can burn them to cd and then send them the computer. I am going to try and burn a windows xp cd from the hp wizard and see if that offers a repair option.

#10 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2007 - 09:36 AM

Most HP restore disks will offer a non-destructive repair option - but it's still best to backup your data before starting.

You may want to contact HP to see if there's a local repair center where you can get it looked at without having to ship it away.

#11 WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• Members
  • 265 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2007 - 12:22 PM

Hi thrillhouse.

Burn those restore CDs right away. Label them with an indelible marker, put them in papers sleeves or plastic cases and store them in a safe place.

If XP, for any reason, becomes unbootable and you don't have those CDs you will be stuck with a dead PC that can't be fixed without purchasing a $100+ copy of XP - bacuase you didn't burn the CDs used to fix these problems.

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,545 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2007 - 01:32 PM

Well, unless something has changed significantly...a PCI USB card costs a lot less than you are going to spend in shipping.

And the loss of a PC has no monetary value, but normally is irksome.

However, pursue your own road.

Louis

#13 thrillhouse

thrillhouse
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2007 - 04:18 PM

I'm going to try and burn those cd's and see if there is a non abrasive repair option. Also, while doing so, I'm going to try and see if lightscribe works. Thanks for the help. I'll be back after I give that a shot.

#14 thrillhouse

thrillhouse
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2007 - 03:27 PM

The computer froze again and I powered it off and when I powered it on it said unmountable boot volume. Safe mode wouldn't even load. The HDD scan is bios wouldn't recognize the hard drive.

I used a program called BartPE that Acklan told me about when my brother had the same problem to get it running again. Everything is here except for my music, the only thing I cared about.

HP is sending me a new hard drive on Tuesday and all the os and drivers and apps on cd's.

Is there anything that you guys can think of that I may have done without knowing to mess things up this badly or could it have been factory defect of the hard drive?

#15 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,545 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2007 - 04:31 PM

Unmountable boot volume is a common error...happens to many, including me :thumbsup:. It can a bad drive, corrupt file system, bad boot.ini, etc. It happens is about all that I can say :flowers:.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555302

But it won't hurt to check that drive via both chkdsk /r and the drive manufacturer's diagnostic program (available at website).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users