Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Processor And Memory Upgrades

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 RADIUM-V Interactive

RADIUM-V Interactive

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 AM

Posted 26 September 2007 - 04:58 PM

So, I'm upgrading my AMD 64 x2 3800+ (2.00 GHz) to a 5600+ (2.80GHz). What should I expect in performance differences?

And I'm still thinking of changing my 666MHz RAM sticks (2 sticks, 1GB each) to 800MHz (same amount).

Would that make any remarkable differences in gaming? I has GeForce 8600 GT w/256mb in SLI, and I average around 50fps in Bioshock as my system is right now. If it doesn't make that much difference, which I expect it may not, at least I'm prepared when I choose to switch to Vista and swap out the 8600's for higher cards.

I've decided on the processor, but I'm not sure about the memory. Any solid reason to upgrade the speed of the memory?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 AM

Posted 27 September 2007 - 02:03 PM

The 5600+ should do wonders in CPU dependent applications, but the RAM upgrade isn't worth it. Going from 667 to 800MHz will only give you a few percent performance boost.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#3 RADIUM-V Interactive

RADIUM-V Interactive
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2007 - 09:11 PM

In terms of gaming, which will help me more?
I want my system to be ready for Crysis and The Orange Box.

#4 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2007 - 07:12 AM

The processor. Both should be multi-threaded so you should even be able to make use of both cores.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#5 RADIUM-V Interactive

RADIUM-V Interactive
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2007 - 09:12 AM

Forgot to mention the RAM is DDR2 in Dual-Channel. Does that sway your suggestion?

I've been getting replies from other forums saying that the RAM will make the bigger difference, and others saying the same as Mr. Alpha. I've never been so unsure in my life!

#6 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2007 - 12:44 PM

No, it doesn't. Adding more RAM is a easy and good upgrade and often recommended. Changing your RAM to a higher speed isn't worth it (unless you have DDR2-400).

#7 RADIUM-V Interactive

RADIUM-V Interactive
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2007 - 03:03 PM

So yeah...

I'm not getting a 5600+ anymore...

I'm getting a 6000+ :thumbsup:

My current 3dmark06 score is 6671. I can't wait until later today to test it with my new processor!

#8 RADIUM-V Interactive

RADIUM-V Interactive
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2007 - 11:44 AM

My 3DMark06 score went:

6000+ ----->7830
3800+ ----->6671
---------------------