Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Getting rid of my old pc now to put 98SE back on?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 PM

Posted 09 February 2005 - 05:18 PM

Now that my new pc is up and going and I almost have all my files on the new one how can I formatt this thing and reinstall windows 98SE without the 98 disk? The person I bought it from didnt give me a restore disk or anything 7 years ago. Back then I was new to a computer anyways I had no idea......

Can I maybe just copy the windows folder to a disk and it will work?

Is there a special format?

I really need to do this. This system is a mess error's after error's!

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 megaman

megaman

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 PM

Posted 09 February 2005 - 05:50 PM

without getting into the legalities, can u borrow a win98se disk from a friend or relative. if the current install has errors I would not recommend copying anything as u may just be copying errors and ultimately will be no better off. good luck.
The definition of success is the ability to survive failure !

#3 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 PM

Posted 09 February 2005 - 08:35 PM

What brand do you have ? I have ordered restore disks from HP and Compaq several times. Also Gateway will sell restore disk. I paid $25 and received the XP Home recovery disk from HP. Since you can only use the recovery disks on thier system they don't charge accecpt the cost of the disk and shipping. Hope this helps. Post what kind of computer you have please . I'm nosey .

acklan
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#4 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 PM

Posted 09 February 2005 - 10:42 PM

No its a old custom built computer. The errors are just normal not bad.

Anyway possible?

#5 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 PM

Posted 09 February 2005 - 10:59 PM

You could get a copy go into the Reg. and use the old #. Or (I ate to suggest it) go to ebay and buy a OEM Ebay WinME . You could download a flavor of linux and make a linnux box. Just a thought .

acklan
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#6 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 PM

Posted 10 February 2005 - 06:38 PM

Look in C:\Windows\Options\Cabs. Many times the 98 cab files are put there. You could also do a search for *.cab and see what comes up.

If the cab files are in the first location you can run setup from there or burn them to a CD.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users