Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista And Xp Software

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 deanpcmad

deanpcmad

• Members
  • 184 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:10 AM

Posted 26 September 2007 - 02:22 PM

Hey,

What would happen if I install Windows XP software on a Windows Vista Premium PC?
Also vice-versa.

Thanks
deanpcmad

deanpcmad

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 AM

Posted 26 September 2007 - 08:09 PM

XP software most likely won't work on a Vista system - but using the Compatibility Wizard and some other settings (such as setting all executables in the program's folder to run as XPSP2 and as an administrator) can convince quite a few XP programs to run under Vista.

As for the other way (Vista programs on XP) - it shouldn't be a problem but I haven't tried it with anything except for Office 2007
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Guest_uhaligani_*

Guest_uhaligani_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 28 September 2007 - 01:49 AM

I agree. I have 39 XP programs all installed and running sweetly in Vista (32 and 64 bit) Only two required the Compatibilty option.
I don't think there are any Vista specific programs, only those recompiled to avoid the compatibility issue. I have not encountered any problems using the reverse procedure although I cannot see a lot of use for needing that facility.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2007 - 08:08 AM

The Vista compatibility list here: http://www.iexbeta.com/wiki/index.php/Wind...patibility_List will give some examples of incompatible apps.

Please note that incompatibility IS NOT an all-or-nothing thing. For example, pcAnywhere v11.5 is not Vista compatible - but it will run just fine until you try to automate some tasks, then it will fail and won't even notify you that it failed. Other programs will work, but will require special gyrations to use, or will require that you avoid using certain commands. When first using AVG Free on the Vista beta's, it required that you install it in Compatibility mode, then you had to dive into the Program Files directory and set all of it's exectutables to run in compatibility mode also.

This isn't a problem for those who are familiar with mucking about in the file system and the registry - but for the average user this just isn't possible. This is because there's not easy way to tell about partial incompatibilities. In my example about pcAnywhere above, my only recourse was to resort to manual tasks until v12 became available.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 MilesAhead

MilesAhead

• Members
  • 197 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 AM

Posted 28 September 2007 - 08:16 PM

Hey,

What would happen if I install Windows XP software on a Windows Vista Premium PC?
Also vice-versa.

Thanks
deanpcmad

I moved a lot of my Windows freeware over from XP. One thing you may find though, is programs written with Borland compilers that use VCL will flicker. To get rid of the flicker in Vista Aero you have to uncheck Animate controls and elements inside windows under the Visual Effects. It's just as well to do this or else progress bars on all programs will keep starting at the beginning and surging. Rather distracting. With this unchecked the progress bars fill in similar to XP style.

"I don't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member."
- Groucho Marx

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users