Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Locks Up And Displays Diagonal Lines

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 zennode

zennode

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 AM

Posted 26 September 2007 - 01:13 PM

Hi,

I bought this slightly used computer on ebay. Gateway GM5072
with onboard Geforce 6100 running Windows XP Media Edition 2005.

It just started randomly locking up and at the same time the screen is covered with these large diagonal lines.

I have to do a hard restart.

I can get to the BIOS and the voltages seem fine.

I did go to nVidia's website and downloaded the newest drivers and that did not seem to work.

Please help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zennode

zennode
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2007 - 01:15 PM

Ok little update. While I was at the BIOS and letting it sit there the screen got distorted and froze.

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2007 - 01:19 PM

Can you get a hold of a graphics card to test on your system? If so, disable the onboard graphics and boot up to see if the graphics works with the new card. If it does, then it's likely that the graphics portion of your mobo has died and you will need a new video card. Unfortunately, there's no telling what caused this - and if there's any other damage to the mobo. I'd suggest taking a look inside the case to see if anything's amiss ( http://www.badcaps.net ).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 zennode

zennode
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2007 - 01:32 PM

I do not have a different video card to try. Anything else I can try in the mean time?

#5 zennode

zennode
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2007 - 02:54 PM

I installed this Hardware sensor monitor program. It shows that Aux is 5.04V and red. Not sure what that means.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,408 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 AM

Posted 26 September 2007 - 03:03 PM

As suggested...get a video card (the kind that your system needs) and temporarily install it in the system. You will only need this card for approximately the time it takes to boot to see whether it's your video chip. you can then return it to its rightful owner.

That helps define the problem.

Louis

#7 zennode

zennode
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2007 - 12:36 PM

I put a new video card in and it seemed fine for a while but just about 10 mins ago a loud noise came from the speakers and locked up the computer, but the screen was ok, and then the noise stopped and then the screen went black.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,408 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2007 - 05:40 PM

Noises...don't lock up a computer.

Noises...may accompany the failure of some mechanical device in a computer...but I don't believe a noise is capable of doing anything other than passing through the speakers.

How long was the video card installed before it acted up?

Did you remove the borrowed card from your system...and install same back to its original system...to see if that card was now functional?

Are you willing to take a Wild Ass Guess...as to what part of the computer your noise emanated from?

Have you checked your speakers to see if they work, using some device other than your computer?

Louis

#9 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2007 - 08:30 AM

Did the video come back when you rebooted? Was there any evidence of leaking capacitors/damage when you looked inside the case? Have you disconnected all external devices?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#10 zennode

zennode
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2007 - 05:50 AM

Ok, the video has come back when I rebooted. The other video card still works fine. And my computer actually ran fine on its own onboard video card for over 24 hours and now just did the horizontal lines thing, but I restarted it and now its working.

I did not see any resistors bulging or leaking. Please help. This is frustrating. Thank you.

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,408 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2007 - 02:45 PM

Have you taken a look in Event Viewer for clues?

If it's a periodic/intermittent problem that is not related to video alone, there might be some clues in the error messages in EV.

Louis

#12 zennode

zennode
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2007 - 07:54 AM

Ok, I have not used the event viewer before, but what I see under system there a a bunch of errors for disk. It suggests changing my cable, I think it is referring to the IDE cable right? Could this have caused my issue?

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,408 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2007 - 08:01 AM

A bad HD connection...no matter what the cause (PS, IDE cable, connection loose, etc.) can always cause weird things in the system.

If Event Viewer indicates that a given disk (IDE-0 is your C: disk) has a problem, it's best to check out the physical aspects first...then attempt to run chkdsk /r from the Recovery Console or by starting it in My Computer/Explorer. If you start from My Computer/Explorer, be aware that it actually won't run until you reboot the system...and you must check the two boxes (Automatically Fix and Scan For), after pushing the Error Checking button.

How To Run CHKDSK In XP - http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...b;en-us;Q315265

Louis

#14 zennode

zennode
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2007 - 11:32 AM

It says it is having issues with Harddisk1, Harddisk2, Harddisk4. I only have on hard drive. What is the difference with each hard disk?

#15 zennode

zennode
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2007 - 11:34 AM

When I run DiskPart it shows I only had a hard disk at 0.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users